LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Kooks Y pipe question/Stainless works questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kooks Y pipe question/Stainless works questions

Hey guys. I'm going to be putting in an order for some Kooks headers and Y soon but I'm trying to decide if I should get the catted Y or not. I'm kind of tired of not being able to pass emissions here in Texas, that's why I'm considering the catted Y pipe. For those of you running Kooks catted Y pipes, do your cars actually pass emissions testing? I've always like going with ORY pipes but again I'm tired of fooling with trying to get my cars inspected. But I've also heard that some catted Y pipes are not functional enough to get a car to pass. The car is just a bolton car but might get a cam someday. I don't plan on going big at all I just want this car to be a nice street car that I can take to get inspected and not have issues.

Second portion of my post is about Stainless Works headers and their Y pipes. They are pretty close in price with Kooks but is one better than the other? I haven't really heard much about Stainless Works and how people like them or how they fit. I just have heard lots of good things about Kooks. Never ran a set myself but I've heard fitment is usually really good (a few ppl I've heard had issues but not many).

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had kooks and the catted y a few years ago and passed Illinois emissions. Idk if it was the cats that made it pass 100% but im sure it helped the system work better.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're getting Kooks 1 3/4" headers, they fit great on my car. I also had them coated, which I believe was "free" when I bought the headers.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

I'm 90% sure I'll be going with Kooks but when spending that kind of money I want to make sure I get the most for my money. And I don't want to waste money on a catted Y pipe and then not be able to pass inspection...I would consider that a waste of money. I'd post this in the Texas section but I have trouble getting answers there, lol.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

I have SW headers. Overall, prety nice, but I believe mine were made with the wrong flange and had a buddy weld on them to get them to seal... long story. Bought them "used" but NIB... got em cheap. Their Y pipe doesn't fit as well as I think it should should've

Quick Reply: Kooks Y pipe question/Stainless works questions