LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hypertech Programmer Hack

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you do anything with a hypertech unit that is no good? I have one for my 96 LT1 that no longer works. It failed mid programming on my car. Hypertech offered to replace it "IF" I paid 99.00 to have a licensed GM dealer re-flash it to stock and paid 25.00 for them to ship me a new one. You can have it if you can do anything with it.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Can you do anything with a hypertech unit that is no good? I have one for my 96 LT1 that no longer works. It failed mid programming on my car. Hypertech offered to replace it "IF" I paid 99.00 to have a licensed GM dealer re-flash it to stock and paid 25.00 for them to ship me a new one. You can have it if you can do anything with it.
Paperweight? Conversation piece for your coffee table?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

link no longer work? wanting to play with it and see whats up...
Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

I've got a hypertech w/ a custom tune installed on it that I no longer use..should sell it but I never bothered getting around to unlocking it. links are dead so how do I do that? got plenty of free time atm
Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know this is an old thread, but i noticed there is a way to get around a locked hypertech VIN. i have one of these for 94-95 fbodies that i got for free and was curious to see how you would unlock it. i have tunerproRT and a laptop cable so i don't really see myself ever using it i was just curious how you would "get around" the VIN. i tried downloading the vile but it's missing.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by b1heqh54
this handy utility will get you past the VIN lock on your Htech

http://jumbofiles.com/q7135e2ff0fy

you could also use it in conjunction with TunerproRT for free scanning and tuning....
The link is dead, can you repost
Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have tunerpro RT, both OBDI cables, and laptop and still find a use for the PPIII that the TA came with (after scoffing at it as trash).

It makes simple things like tire size speedo changes, fan start temps, shift points, and rev limit changes super quick and easy without having to get out the laptop, pull the tune with winflash, modify it in Tunerpro, then winflash it. Small and EZ to bring to the track and play with shift points and rev limits right there after a run.

Note that I don't use the "Power Flash" function. Even a base mail order will be better then the "One Size fits all" tune that HT loads...
Old 09-20-2017, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Default hypertech power programmer

Are you saying you can unmarry/unlock a hypertech power programmer III?
Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mark OShields
It has been done before.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark OShields
..............the OP hasn't even been on this board for 5 years!!

You'd have been better off PM'ing him with the hope that the forum sends him an email notification.....

KW
Old 09-22-2017, 01:53 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most people do realize Hacker is another word for thief. right?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Most people do realize Hacker is another word for thief. right?
Not quite that black and white:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker

"... the assertion that the term originally meant someone messing about with something in a positive sense, that is, using playful cleverness to achieve a goal."

What you do with what you've managed to accomplish determines whether you're a thief.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Teching In

many thanks - indeed, I could be cooking meth and selling it to your daughter with the impulse problem who's been told she could be anything she wanted to be - instead I'm saving more e-junk from landfill with only my brain - what did you do today Mr. Grumpy??

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Not quite that black and white:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker

"... the assertion that the term originally meant someone messing about with something in a positive sense, that is, using playful cleverness to achieve a goal."

What you do with what you've managed to accomplish determines whether you're a thief.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:46 PM
9-Second Club

If you are trying to use a Power Programmer to do more than one vehicle, instead of buying another, you are stealing from Hypertech, which makes you a thief.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Teching In

If you are trying to use a Power Programmer to do more than one vehicle, instead of buying another, you are stealing from Hypertech, which makes you a thief.
When you paid close to $1K for it and then you pay for a used PCM too - I feel a little compassion for the kids....sorry sir, I do respect your position (bent over likely, like the rest of us)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

If he acquires enough of them to send to customers 1:1 and put a $1 line item in the invoice that indicates the HT unit is being 'sold' to the customer then he's a value added reseller, lol. If they choose to send them back after programming their vehicle... kind of gray area.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:10 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by Gojira94
If he acquires enough of them to send to customers 1:1 and put a $1 line item in the invoice that indicates the HT unit is being 'sold' to the customer then he's a value added reseller, lol. If they choose to send them back after programming their vehicle... kind of gray area.
Nothing gray about it. If you ask Hypertech, you will find it is intended to do one vehicle. That is why it is locked to that vin, until that vehicle is put back to stock. Not supposed to do another vehicle.

Nothing gray about that. Do a second vehicle with it, instead of buying another programmer & putting the first vehicle back to stock, you are stealing the cost of the second, third, etc, etc, programmers from Hypertech.

That is a thief.
That is a fact, not opinion.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing gray about it. If you ask Hypertech, you will find it is intended to do one vehicle. That is why it is locked to that vin, until that vehicle is put back to stock. Not supposed to do another vehicle.

Nothing gray about that. Do a second vehicle with it, instead of buying another programmer & putting the first vehicle back to stock, you are stealing the cost of the second, third, etc, etc, programmers from Hypertech.

That is a thief.
That is a fact, not opinion.
If that's what the Hypertech EULA says, then you're correct, it's theft of intellectual property. My point is that "hacker" is not synonymous with "thief."
Old 09-22-2017, 04:59 PM
9-Second Club

You should be OK. Don't do anything but the speedo. Unless they have changed, it copies what is in your PCM, makes the change you choose, then writes it all back. If you ever used it on your car, before it was tuned, it will put that tuning back in it. If it is a new unit, you should be fine.
Make certain your battery is charged, and set the parking brake to shut off the daytime running lights, turn the AC & radio off.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by b1heqh54
Hi I've hacked my Hypertech Power Programmer III for 1995 Camaro/Firebird and 94-95 Corvettes. I can program any number of PCM's - has anyone ever read of anyone else doing this ??
I'm trying to make my hypertech for ford 4.6 trucks work on my 7.3 powerstroke diesel could you help me with this?

Quick Reply: Hypertech Programmer Hack