LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what is the best heads package for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012 | 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck
Really dude?

Been there, done that. If you think a 210+ CC head is a good choice for a car with an emissions cam on a 355 with a 7k rpm limit then you are beyond help.

GL with your 212s on a 355, hope you have the cam and computer to spin 7500.
Right from ai site. So he must be a liar hih? Our 212cc CNC'd 21 Degree TFS heads are ideally suited for those looking for the high HP potential of our CNC'd TFS heads with the ability to generate high compression ratios on as little as 350cid. With supporting modifications this head is capable of producing approximately 525-575 SAE corrected horsepower with a daily driveable HR or SR camshaft,
Old 06-19-2012 | 04:52 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Really dude?

Been there, done that. If you think a 210+ CC head is a good choice for a car with an emissions cam on a 355 with a 7k rpm limit then you are beyond help.

GL with your 212s on a 355, hope you have the cam and computer to spin 7500.
It'll be fine. You need to worry more about the seven thousand different directions your setup is going right now.
Old 06-19-2012 | 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just spray it
Old 06-19-2012 | 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dave357LT1
Right from ai site. So he must be a liar hih? Our 212cc CNC'd 21 Degree TFS heads are ideally suited for those looking for the high HP potential of our CNC'd TFS heads with the ability to generate high compression ratios on as little as 350cid. With supporting modifications this head is capable of producing approximately 525-575 SAE corrected horsepower with a daily driveable HR or SR camshaft,
What about an LE1 Emissions cam makes you think the OP is looking for the "HIGH HP POTENTIAL" of the ported TFS heads??? Seriously man, one size does not fit all with heads. I would NEVER recommend someone to put my 227cc hogged out AFRs on their 350 or even 23x HR 383, but on my .7" SR @ 7500+ rpm they should scream.

There is a place for those heads, but in all honesty a baby cammed 350 will be more then happy with a 200cc ported stocker, and has no need at all for aftermarket castings.

I bet if you asked Phil himself which head he would recommend for the OP it would NOT be their ported TFS package, but either the 190cc or 200cc ported stockers.

He'd also say to ditch the cam as well probably, but that is neither here nor their...

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It'll be fine. You need to worry more about the seven thousand different directions your setup is going right now.
Yea, it will take me about as long to finish my motor as it took you to dial in yours.
Old 06-19-2012 | 06:36 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Yea, it will take me about as long to finish my motor as it took you to dial in yours.
You're already far past that time staple, my fickle friend.
Old 06-19-2012 | 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about an LE1 Emissions cam makes you think the OP is looking for the "HIGH HP POTENTIAL" of the ported TFS heads??? Seriously man, one size does not fit all with heads. I would NEVER recommend someone to put my 227cc hogged out AFRs on their 350 or even 23x HR 383, but on my .7" SR @ 7500+ rpm they should scream.

There is a place for those heads, but in all honesty a baby cammed 350 will be more then happy with a 200cc ported stocker, and has no need at all for aftermarket castings.

I bet if you asked Phil himself which head he would recommend for the OP it would NOT be their ported TFS package, but either the 190cc or 200cc ported stockers.

He'd also say to ditch the cam as well probably, but that is neither here nor their...

Your strong point isnt reading is it? He said his stock heads are cracked and WANTS trickflow heads to port. Sure if he had good stock heads their 190 or 200 cc heads would be nice but that isnt what he asked.
Old 06-19-2012 | 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Your strong point isnt reading is it? He said his stock heads are cracked and WANTS trickflow heads to port. Sure if he had good stock heads their 190 or 200 cc heads would be nice but that isnt what he asked.
You are the one who seems to have issues reading.

He never said anything about wanting to port any heads in the OP. The guy has an emissions cam(maybe 225int?) on a 355 and is looking at out of the box 185s and you go suggesting ported aftermarket 210cc+ heads. He obviously wasn't looking for max power or big heads based on the information given.
Old 06-19-2012 | 07:32 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

I see that GTP is still in your sig, but the LE cam is not?
Old 06-19-2012 | 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He mentions porting is his post.... I posted the option of running them out of the box then having le port them or getting some from ai. Bit i was telling him that if he wants AI he has to get them from him first. Then you made the retarted comment that they wont work or a 350 wouldnt want them but ai clearly sells them to people with stock stroks. I didnt have any stock cores so i got the trickflows. He gave me a cam that will work within the stock ecm. Im sure Phil knows more than you. Gregrob last time i checked was shifting below 7k. Im curious what times has ur massive solid roller combo or any of ur combos ran? Are you going to the shootout? For ***** and giggles id like to race you Puck. Or best time slip (with video proof) within a year or something. You game?
Old 06-19-2012 | 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

He mentions porting is his post.... I posted the option of running them out of the box then having le port them or getting some from ai. Bit i was telling him that if he wants AI he has to get them from him first. Then you made the retarted comment that they wont work or a 350 wouldnt want them but ai clearly sells them to people with stock stroks. I didnt have any stock cores so i got the trickflows. He gave me a cam that will work within the stock ecm. Im sure Phil knows more than you. Gregrob last time i checked was shifting below 7k. Im curious what times has ur massive solid roller combo or any of ur combos ran? Are you going to the shootout? For ***** and giggles id like to race you Puck. Or best time slip (with video proof) within a year or something. You game?
I never said an over 200cc head wont work on a 350. Just stated that it is probably not the right choice for a baby emission cammed 350. I'm sure you also know that compromises had to be made to keep a cam within 7k RPM on a 357 with 212cc TFS heads. Phil definitely knows his stuff, so ask him what your cam would have been with an aftermarket computer to get the full benefit of your heads and see if it would have been any different. Even better, ask him how much power would it drop(if any) if you sold your TFS heads and straight up swapped to his 200cc heads with the same cam and no other changes - not trying to stir the pot, I am genuinely interested in that one.

If the 200cc head is all that any engine needs, and is even the best for a stock cam or baby emissions grind, why do they even offer a 190 package then??? For the mostly street cars that want a bump in power, but need or want a small cam for emissions or a focus on low end power. No point in sacrificing low end when running a cam that wont use the top end potential.

As for my last build it was nothing special, CMotorsports 227int cam with local ported shop heads and supporting mods that only ran a best of 11.72. It had 11.5s in it but I tore it down before messing with it too much with the intentions to refresh it and maybe add some spray for 10s. As my goals changed that turned into a new shortblock, which turned into a different top end, which meant a new cam, which spiraled into what it is now. Car won't be done in time for the shootout, but it will at least have engine dyno numbers by then for whatever that's worth, since it will be broken in on a stand before I drop it in the car. Transmission, stall, and rear will need to be changed before I am able to start doing shakedown runs so no ETs for a while still.

This isn't my only hobby, and the car stuff got pushed to the side for a bit as I was focusing on bikes for a while, and am looking at another one within the next month or two before I go back to focusing on the car.
Old 06-20-2012 | 08:17 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

I never said an over 200cc head wont work on a 350. Just stated that it is probably not the right choice for a baby emission cammed 350.
It will be fine. If the heads are ported well the torque curve will have pretty much the same characteristics as stock with an emissions legal cam. Is it the most optimal setup in the whole wide world? Probably not, but it's also good to think on down the road as well and not have to spend a lot of money on heads twice or more with a more aggressive setup.
So what cam you going with on build concept #four hundred five thousand?
Old 06-20-2012 | 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95_Z-28_runner
hey everyone im doing a 355ci engine build
the short block consist of:
flat top with 2 valve releafs +5cc Probe forged floating pistons

5.7 eagle H beams

stock polished crank and Arp 2 bolt main stud kit.

The cam i am using is LE1 largest emissons friendly cam. and elecric water pump and double roller timing chain. and i have 1.6 roller rockers.

the heads i have are the 374 heads but both are cracked in the middle water jacket head bolt passage. since that is kinda common i just want to buy new heads and not deal with sorting a good core out for porting. i was going to buy trick flows 185cc heads has anyone bought and ran these? if so how is the performance of these heads TFS-30400008-M54

thanks
Waaay bad topic to post here!!! Talk to Loyd Elliot or AI. Get an opinion from them and not these crazy egomaniacs! You'll get in touch with Loyd a lot sooner than AI but it's always good to get multiple opinions. Best of luck!

http://elliottsportworks.com/

http://www.advancedinduction.com/
Old 06-20-2012 | 12:44 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Waaay bad topic to post here!!! Talk to Loyd Elliot or AI. Get an opinion from them and not these crazy egomaniacs!
So those who have personal experience with certain setups, who share that experience have egos? Retarded.
Old 06-20-2012 | 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
So those who have personal experience with certain setups, who share that experience have egos? Retarded.
The experience is one thing, the pissing matches are another. Which happens every time someone dares to ask a question about what heads are best for xx application. That's why I directed him to the proffesionals. The one's that actually design your heads and cam package based on his goals and how much $$ he really might have to put into it.
Old 06-20-2012 | 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The experience is one thing, the pissing matches are another. Which happens every time someone dares to ask a question about what heads are best for xx application. That's why I directed him to the proffesionals. The one's that actually design your heads and cam package based on his goals and how much $$ he really might have to put into it.
I gave my experience of what happens when you call one of the pros. Thats all you can do on a site like this.
Old 06-20-2012 | 06:46 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Dear God. Arguments break out on message forums. What is this world coming to...

Quick Reply: what is the best heads package for the money?