LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Good Injectors for a 383 LT1 with cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Injectors for a 383 LT1 with cam?

Hey guys, so I made the mother of all junkyard finds, and grabbed a LT1 with crane gold roller rockers, and what is definitely a stroker (which is probably a 383 right?) crank and .03" over pistons. Problem is the Injectors were gone when I got to it. I'm not sure what cam is in it yet, and I don't know for certain what stroker it is, but there are notches in the bottom of the cylinders. Do I need to know more before I get some injectors, or can I just go a bit overkill and be covered once it's getting tuned. Without taking it apart, where do I look on the crank to see what it is? I know I can just pull the freeze plug and see what the cam is that way, right?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In order to see what cam it has in it you'll have to pull it and send it to a cam manufacturer/grinder to have it spec'd.

You'll also want to pull the heads and see what's going on there.

It might be a mother of a junkyard find but you have to consider that it's in a junk yard for a reason.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If someone let it go to the junkyard it is quite possibly cast crank junk. If the heads are unported that would be significant proof of an incompetent build.

Figure out what you really have before getting too excited, even if it is larger displacement than stock it can still easily be a step backwards. Worst case you got a set of rockers a cam and hopefully block and heads.

What happened to the car?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Teching In

It looks like a project car where something happened to the owner, it sat for a while and then someone decided to junk it. Body was fine, as was interior. It was definitely worth much more in parts. Full performance suspension, 4.56 gears, shorty headers, the works. The bellhousing had been broken in two when we got it, but even if we got a stock LT1 out of it, that would be great. It looks like something some buddies built, as the heads are unported, and the intake was ported, but not well. My guess is the short block was professionally done, as the cylinder walls look great and and the cut outs are clean, and then the semi-intelligent owner did everything from there up. It's definitely a mess, but it was still way too valuable in parts to send to the junkyard. Some relative didn't know what they had. It had only been in the JY 2 hours when we found it, and many, many people were very jealous . It looks like there's a bit of carbon buildup on the pistons, so I imagine the tune wasn't very good either, although we did snag the ecu too. I'm going to take it to our machine shop and have the crank and cam all looked over and inspected, and I guess once we know what we have we can worry about injectors.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a great find! Hope the crank isn't the cheapo version.
Pics?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much did u pay for it?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deceptor101
Hey guys, so I made the mother of all junkyard finds, and grabbed a LT1 with crane gold roller rockers, and what is definitely a stroker (which is probably a 383 right?) crank and .03" over pistons. Problem is the Injectors were gone when I got to it. I'm not sure what cam is in it yet, and I don't know for certain what stroker it is, but there are notches in the bottom of the cylinders. Do I need to know more before I get some injectors, or can I just go a bit overkill and be covered once it's getting tuned. Without taking it apart, where do I look on the crank to see what it is? I know I can just pull the freeze plug and see what the cam is that way, right?

Here is the formula for finding out what size of injector you need:

lbs/hr = (BHP × BSFC) ÷ (No. of Injectors × DC)

Where:
BHP = Peak Brake Horsepower
BSFC = Brake Specific Fuel Consumption
DC = Injector Duty Cycle

Yours will be a street/strip kind of car so use .45 for the BSFC and assume a maximum duty cycle of 80-85%. Assume in your case you want 430hp it looks like this:

lbs/hr = (430hp × 0.45) ÷ (8 × 80%) = 30.23lbs/hr

For a car that will see more track time use .55 for the BSFC:

lbs/hr = (430 × 0.55) ÷ (8 × 80%) = 36.9 lbs/hr

The old Ford 30lb redtops are good, found in Ford pickup trucks etc. and they bolt right in.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

^^ Ford red tops (30#)or white Pontiac gtp injectors(36#). Both of which can be found at junkyards and drop right in.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go straight to greentops, they allow you a lot of room to grow if you decide to go with a bigger cam or spray down the road. I have greentops in my GTO and I had #39 Cobra Injectors in my LT1, no complaints
Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running red tops with about a split second of 98% DS at the top of each gear (around 6500 rpm) and the scanner says it's getting plenty o fuel.
What pistons are in it? flat tops or a small dish? Whats the deck height with the piston all the way to the top?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 36# injectors in my H/C/I 383....I would say 30,36, or 42# injectors depending HP goals and potential future mods such as ported heads or nitrous.

Hopefully it's not a cast crank as mentioned or it might blow up with some good heads on that make power Otherwise, you hit the LT1 jackpot

Quick Reply: Good Injectors for a 383 LT1 with cam?