LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rocker/stud issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default rocker/stud issue

i just swapped out catbacks for something quieter and its been bugging me all the valvetrain noise i had....so i pulled my valve covers to check them......the drivers side seemed ok and adjusted fine with engine running....the pass side is a differant story....a few years back a rocker stud on the #4 intake broke off on my afr heads...i replaced it with a stud off my stock heads and all was fine.....now this thing is so noisy i cant get it to adjust ..if i tighten it down trying to get it to zero lash running it causes the idle to drop and almost stall so im figuring its just noisy....also the nut seems to bottom out on the stud and go to far into the rocker.....im debating about getting new studs and lock nuts and possibly new rr's ...any input on what may be going on here...is it possible something more serious.....the car has run great and have put prob about 15000 miles on these heads after the stud was replaced
Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the nut is almost bottoming and the motor tries to stall I'd say your hanging a valve open. Roller rockers I'm sure on the AFR's. Check the rocker trunnion on the suspected bad cylinder. Hope the lifter is good.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by spcearle
...i replaced it with a stud off my stock heads and all was fine.....
Pretty sure that's your problem. The studs on your stock heads are not tapered. When running a roller rocker you must use a tapered stud or it will bottom out on the stud, like what you're describing. Most likely you have damage on that rocker. You need to replace the stud before running again or you can cause further damage.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

this is going to be long so be patient...lol
as stated b4 ive been running it like this for a few years now with no ill failures but after doing a whole lot of searches and reading i think i'm gonna swap out some parts just tp play it safe and get it right hopefully......i believe it has comp lifters so without looking yet that may be one issue....for that was gonna go with some ls7 because of price and product and all.......next i have crane gold sa 1.6 rockers////have heard about a few issues on these rocking and not sitting right plus they are sa and it may be time to switch to nsa instead

few questions now....would it be better to switch to 1.7 at this point or keep it 1.6 and which brands are recommended

what guide plates work best and studs

gonna order a pr checker to hopefully get the right length in there

i was originally going this route when i put my afr's in but between the isky guideplates and the new pushrods i got with the cam they just wouldnt line up right so went back to my sa rr's and stock pr's
more info to help on decission if needed
heads are afr 195 lt4's////383 stroker///
cam isa comp custom ground 236/242 110 lsa 608/576 lift with1.6 so not sure if 1.7 would be to much or not.....springs are what was recommended with the cam
Old 07-14-2012, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a heads up. Stock LT1 Studs are smaller in the shank then most aftermarket studd's

I have had a few that were loud and we tracked it down to the rocker and stud. the rocker hole is bigger then the studd and it just rocks back and forth on the studd making noise
Old 07-14-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

yeah thats one of the things i discovered....hence why i'm just pulling them all and swithching to 7/16 arp's....just not sure best plan of attack on rr size and brand to work with my engine and cam size...gut tells me to just stick with 1.6 but if i'm replacing and benifit is to be had by bumping it up to 1.7 i may do that
Old 07-14-2012, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

You may find you do not have enough room for the 1.7s

Best setups we run now are 7/16th ARP studs good NA rockers and adjustable guide lates tack welded after setup.

Over the past 16 years of playing on LTx cars that has only been surpassed by shaft rockers

We recently did a LSx 427 that picked up 20RWHP with shaft rockers over stock trunion upgrade rockers
Old 07-14-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Enough room ? Do you mean with valve covers... Not sure but I have aftermarket eBay polished ones and they deff seem taller then stock.... I'd love to do a shaft style setup but deff not in my budget...
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

No between the head and the push rod or the guides and the push rods
Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

how do others run 1.7 rockers on lt1's or is it the clearencing on afr heads thatyour refering to
Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

So my best and pretty much only option would be to stay with 1.6 rrs
Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

i'm still looking for help or answers on this one....so far the only deff i know is i'm gonna order some ls7 lifters as soon as i find the best price and some apr studs to move em up to 7/16 rockers....
still confused on fitment of the 1.7s....i've read about several ind running the scorpians with no issues....but also if talk about fitting is through clearance on the lower u groove on guidplates can they either be ground or the the possibility that i read that the steel rr's are a little longer in style ( if i am wrong and just talkin outta my *** please dont flame me been reading and reading trying to find answers here and guidance)
also what guidplates are you all using that work best ive heard good and bad about gmpp and trick flows...ive heard possitive about isky adj which suck cause i have those sitting in my garage but they are 300+ miles away

again trust alot of yourguysexperiance and knowledge so fill me in if you can

Quick Reply: rocker/stud issue