LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I hosed down my engine...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KItHroX
This is why i love forums, No one help the guy out just talk **** about him messing up. You know half of you wouldn't say **** to anyone in person, just from the comfort of your arm chair.
Dude shut up......plenty of people actually gave him some advice but seriously if you are this dumb to wash an engine like this you need to stay away from cars. I don't even think this should be done on any SBC or any newer EFI motor for that matter with all the electronics. Any car with a distributor will not run worth a **** when it's wet so it's not all LT1 specific (ask me how I know). When I detail an engine, it's rags and degreaser or diesel fuel. Water stays away from my motors unless it's one of my older diesels or gassers that don't have any major electronics to **** up.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ ding ding ding! Too lazy to type on my phone
Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Dude shut up......plenty of people actually gave him some advice but seriously if you are this dumb to wash an engine like this you need to stay away from cars. I don't even think this should be done on any SBC or any newer EFI motor for that matter with all the electronics. Any car with a distributor will not run worth a **** when it's wet so it's not all LT1 specific (ask me how I know). When I detail an engine, it's rags and degreaser or diesel fuel. Water stays away from my motors unless it's one of my older diesels or gassers that don't have any major electronics to **** up.
see, thats Good advice... I know not everyone on here is all about flaming someone but I just felt bad for the guy, and i have been in positions where i needed advice but everyone on the forum rather call me a "Noob" or say "use the search function dumbass".
Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

see, thats Good advice... I know not everyone on here is all about flaming someone but I just felt bad for the guy, and i have been in positions where i needed advice but everyone on the forum rather call me a "Noob" or say "use the search function dumbass".
I got it. You're friends with the OP. He complained his engine was dirty and you decided to clean it for him. So now, instead of having you take the fall, he's posting in here looking for answers. Shame on you!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

dammmmmmmmmmmm subscribing ....... Well guess the best thing you could do is unplug every sensor and let them dry... also drain your oil cause there's probably water in it, hopefully you didn't try starting it. Next time just hand wipe it down.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would wash my engine I would cover the opti or distributor I think it was a little silly he took off the intake elbow with out putting a cover on it. I think it is silly to think that sensors dont get wet under driving conditions any one that lives in the northeast knows this. If you work on your own car you should also see that the connectors have seals around them to prevent water intrusion.

I have EFI engines I was down with every use. I wash out my boat and jetskis with salt away after every use in the ocean or brackish water. I also use this on my F350 and Cobalt after the winter. Before any one says the connections are different they are not any different for marine applications. No one on here is going to convince me that water is worse for my connections then salt and if water can get in any connection then so can salt.

Last edited by Adam1203; 07-16-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rag and simple green will get you further than what you just did.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lt11994
Very true. SOME engines you can pressure wash and clean with water from a hose, so if you don't know anything about the LT1 or infamous Optispark and related water issues then why are we giving him so much grief? That video posted with the Honda is a prime example.
And what cars can you powerwash with a open and exposed throttlebody and intake mainifold???
Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

well everyone already said what i was thinking ,soo i just hope u get it fixed soon..keep us updated
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone explain how you can completely cover the opti with it bolted rather flat and flush with the front of the block.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by baalic
And what cars can you powerwash with a open and exposed throttlebody and intake mainifold???
Oh yeah.....the Honda in the video, like I stated, had an open throttle body...
Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Someone explain how you can completely cover the opti with it bolted rather flat and flush with the front of the block.
I dont think it is truly possible to do. with the water pump and tight places its why I don't wash my engine in camaro. I have an msd cap which does add an extra tab to keep the cap tighter to the unit on the top. I also dont think you need to keep it it 100% dry you just don't want a direct spray on it to cause water intrusion. On the camaro im not willing to take the risk its to much of a pain to pull it. On the vett though ill have to see.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Had to save this pic...
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

chances are your throttle position sensor is messed up, check the wiring first, then test it per www.shbox.com

washed my motor MANY MANY MANY TIMES and only had a problem once when the opti pigtail was missing its rubber seal.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is why i love forums, No one help the guy out just talk **** about him messing up. You know half of you wouldn't say **** to anyone in person, just from the comfort of your arm chair.
You are absolutely incorrect. I'm sure most of us would say, "Wow, what a dumbass", if we saw this in person

Nice bottle of simple green and a couple rags, elbow grease, and attention to detail would have done the trick for him
Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did your exhaust blow bubbles?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 PM

Prime example of an engine compartment able to washed with water in some other cars.....

remanufactured transmission
Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Here is another way to wash your engine/trans

Old 08-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Launching!

well im just going to add in that since he joined in april and is washing his lt1 that he is prob real young and new to cars. maybe im wrong he could be old and new to lt1s. anyways he is new to this site and asked for help and got told how stupid he is... wich being an ls1 owner i even knew about the lt1 opti problem, and would say not to smart of a move with out doing some searching. other than that dry it out might have to do some replacing.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Here is another way to wash your engine/trans
I don't see a problem in the world with power washing an engine this way. It sucks ***** having to deal with managing a greasy engine either taking it apart or directly swapping it into an engine bay. As long as they know to keep water out of the TB and check the opti beforehand, it's all good.

Quick Reply: I hosed down my engine...