1997 LT1 Trans Am, The History

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xDetroitMetalx
Late July 2012

This is a familiar sight for me

Can feel the sadness. Glad you found someone to help you out with it. I need a buddy around here.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What exactly is "ghetto lowered"?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carlos64030
What exactly is "ghetto lowered"?
Cut or melted springs. The springs were originally cut.

02v8ta, he's not exactly close but around where I live it's close enough. Nearest thing anywhere is normally 2 hours +. He definitely my best bet though. I usually do as much work as I can myself but with my current location (no flat ground anywhere) and no tools I was in a pinch. However, I later figured I've been staring at my car for so darn long I think it's nice to have a second opinion from someone else right about now. The person fixing it is an LT1 enthusiast as well and a very good trans builder / mechanic so I'm very excited to see what he comes up with. I hope this brings me two steps forward... Instead of my usual 1 step forward two steps back.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck to U...We all know the time and effort it takes to keep going with a LT1 project. But it's worth it when u stand on that pedal and that BEAST comes ALIVE!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LOLz at waving goodbye to the car.

Been there.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

wow , i cant believe you still have the car after all the trouble and money you have spent, what about ust doing a junkyard truck engine and a cam , get the ls style and go from there. more people working on those . But good luck with the car and glad to see you stuck with it .
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
wow , i cant believe you still have the car after all the trouble and money you have spent, what about ust doing a junkyard truck engine and a cam , get the ls style and go from there. more people working on those . But good luck with the car and glad to see you stuck with it .

But the truth is, the LT1 is not a bad engine. You have to be detail oriented to work on them and know what you are doing. Most guys mess up doing the wrong thing. The common lessons are: don't cheap out on the opti and ensure it is installed properly, don't use a thinner than stock headgasket, make sure when you fill the coolant you clear the air pockets and put enough coolant in it, and make sure when you replace the timing cover seals that you know how to install them properly (pump seal especially).

If you just fill an LT1 with coolant after you change a water pump like you do any other engine, it will overheat. Once that happens, you are in trouble because the headgaskets will start to leak, the bearings get spun and then you're into an engine rebuild.

There are so many cases of the same things happening with LT1s to people who don't know them its not funny. I'm just as guilty as anyone, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I knew more. I have seen LT1s with 220,000 miles on them and still running fine. Why? Because the guy who worked on them knew the LT1.

And BTW, the LT1 can produce and handle more HP than the LS1. Nothing beats an iron block.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

This whole story is nothing short of inspiring. I love to see others that would go through the same crap I would to hang on to my LT1 TA..I plan on keeping mine for life, which so many people have a hard time understanding for some odd reason. The looks,power and sound never cease to amaze me with these cars. Cant wait to get my 383 build going,reading all of this just makes me want it even more..
Old 07-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
Yeah, most people can't. Part of it is sentimental value but the other part is if I tried to sell this car I wouldn't get near what I would hope, there just isn't a market for a stock LT vehicle let alone a modified one.

My main distress recently has been attempting on making a 4L60E live, which an LS series motor would use as well, so no true benefit there. I would like to go 4L80E here soon, I know it will sap some power but the extensive modifications are a huge hurdle as well. I'm hoping this new friend can make this thing live so I can focus on more important plans. My friends have been joking with me and telling me to put wing nuts on the trans, rofl.

On the basis of a GENIII or GENIV I already have an LS3 Longblock sitting in my father's shop in Detroit. It's already in the plans to be completed in a couple years from now.

It's not even about the money either. Since the builder originally botched the heads at first he met me half way with this 383 at 50% off labor and cost on parts. He does really nice work, and the inner dampers breaking were a very un-characterstic mistake on his part. He admitted it was his fault and took responsibility for it, it was annoying and angering at the time but it made for a neat build in the end. The engine with all that nice work and nicer parts was half the price of what most spend on a complete build.

The transmission I guess is another story, at this point that's costing nearly as much as the engine. The first builder was someone I used before and he did good work for me before. After this build I realized he must be in some sort of trouble as he literally took my money. That was a bummer because he's a good friend of our family. The second builder I went with does really good work, but a car making this much power wasn't something he dealt with often. He threw everything he could at it but all the meticulous things that an experience performance builder he didn't know. This is why this one failed.

The rest of the drivetrains and suspension parts would be on an LS car as well, so no real extra cost there.

In reality a lot of the issues I've had with this car aren't related to specific inherent issues of the LT platform. So please, when you read this don't blame it. All of my experiences could easily happen to an LS owner as well. I'm no mechanic or anything like that so a lot of it is my fault as well, haha. I'm just in this car as an expensive hobby. I've been learning as I go thanks to experience in addition to other experienced people on forums.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Boooo stoooopid Mark and your stooooopid lt1

Sorry I couldn't resist a slight troll still love the car and the fact that you won't get rid of her (no matter how many times you say you will, you sir a full of lol). Now get ya *** back to the Mitten dammit! Lol
Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Only if we go on HotWheels runs / get beers (I get a nice beer and you get Miller Light).

I almost have more posts than you already, wtf?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

love it, well put together story. wish I had gotten something together like this for mine.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xDetroitMetalx
Only if we go on HotWheels runs / get beers (I get a nice beer and you get Miller Light).

I almost have more posts than you already, wtf?
Deal on the Hotwheels and beer! And I forgot the password of my old name so I just made a new one lol
Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSxWittles
Deal on the Hotwheels and beer! And I forgot the password of my old name so I just made a new one lol
You noob!

Thank you very much mister LT1SlowZ28!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Inspirational thread hope.mine isn't that bad but like you this car of.mine is going to be a lifelong poject
Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lose the slush box and get a Stage 3 T56. Then you can get rid of that 10 bolt and throw in a 12.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

awesome write up ... interesting to read.. good to see such dedication to one specific car !
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can't watch the videos at work

Definitely an inspiring story! So much so that I will likely watch the videos and re-read the thread when I get home.

I know I had a few minor struggles with my 97 WS6 and it was pretty easy to get rid of with all of these little things going wrong. I can definitely commend you for sticking to your gut instinct and sticking it through the tough times to keep your sentimental value alive.

-Marc
Old 08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice thread dude, great to see someone push to keep their LTx alive!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
Lose the slush box and get a Stage 3 T56. Then you can get rid of that 10 bolt and throw in a 12.
Nah, stalled auto is where it's at. Only thing I might gain out of it is survivability in trade for a bunch of other headaches. This car is technically my Daily Driver rain, snow, or shine. So a sticky clutch in rush hour would drive me mad and I'm deathly afraid of corners.

Thanks to everyone else. I'm glad you enjoy the story and that it inspires many of you. I'm hoping once the new gentlemen goes through it everything will be how I want it.

Quick Reply: 1997 LT1 Trans Am, The History