LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

14.3:1cr 398ci combo dyno#s pics and New videos added to first post!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's been forever since I updated this thread but I now need recommendations on which torque converter to go with!! Ive spoken with ATI and I'm leaning toward there blown and fuel 9" piece.Only down side is he said it will be really slow on motor alone.He said it launch then pretty much want all the nitrous I can throw at it.Said street driving will be fine tho.So from expierence is any kind of compromise that's reasonable because I would like Na performance as well if possible,if not I'd rather go all out.I haven't been able to make it to the track this year but from my street passes I can tell the converter is really holding this car back. Thx for any input
Old 11-23-2012, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well those guys know what their taking about, and he's right.. You can find a happy medium between spray and motor, but it's not gonna be great here and great there.. Decide what's more important.. Converters are easy to swap so go all motor and when your ready slam another one in and let er rip
Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
Well those guys know what their taking about, and he's right.. You can find a happy medium between spray and motor, but it's not gonna be great here and great there.. Decide what's more important.. Converters are easy to swap so go all motor and when your ready slam another one in and let er rip
Yeah I think I'm going to just go all out in this one,don't want to spend that kind of money twice lol!! When he says it will be slow Na I don't think it can be much worse than what's in there now! I got a Coan 10" 3800stall from my previous build in now.I contacted Ptc also but they haven't gotten back to me yet.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had mine built at A-1 in Vancover Wa. They nailed it to the wall first shoot. I gave up the N/A hole shot for the N2O efficentcy on the top end. It went 4,100 on the Brake N/A and flashed to 5,700 when i hit the juice. Loggs show 4-5% going through the trapps at 7,100
Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I had mine built at A-1 in Vancover Wa. They nailed it to the wall first shoot. I gave up the N/A hole shot for the N2O efficentcy on the top end. It went 4,100 on the Brake N/A and flashed to 5,700 when i hit the juice. Loggs show 4-5% going through the trapps at 7,100
Thanks I will give them a call on Monday and see what they reccomend and there price.One way or another I want to order a converter next week so I have to decide quick..by the way how are you coming along with your next level build?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called PTC and spoke to someon. They were very helpfull. They are in a lot of fast cars and a very reasonable price
Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With my fairly similar build I will be getting an 8" ATI treemaster.

May be worth shooting them a call.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Puck
With my fairly similar build I will be getting an 8" ATI treemaster.

May be worth shooting them a call.
Yeah i called them first because I no a few of my buddies run them.Charlie said I was right on the edge with my power level.He said if were all motor he would the 8" but with the spray I have to run a 9" fuel and blown converter.Didn't tell me stall yet just said it would be tight na and flash really well off the brake and nitrous.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hit em Up
Yeah i called them first because I no a few of my buddies run them.Charlie said I was right on the edge with my power level.He said if were all motor he would the 8" but with the spray I have to run a 9" fuel and blown converter.Didn't tell me stall yet just said it would be tight na and flash really well off the brake and nitrous.
Charlie is DA MAN
Yep, with any size shot at all, you'll blow through that 8" really bad.
I'm running their Treemaster which I bought second hand and is just a shade tight for my NA setup. It flashes to 4200-4400. Just playing with the 100-shot it flashes to 5800-6000. I wouldn't even think of running it behind a stroker and a decent sized shot.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bowtienut
Charlie is DA MAN
Yep, with any size shot at all, you'll blow through that 8" really bad.
I'm running their Treemaster which I bought second hand and is just a shade tight for my NA setup. It flashes to 4200-4400. Just playing with the 100-shot it flashes to 5800-6000. I wouldn't even think of running it behind a stroker and a decent sized shot.
Thanks that example was reassuring!! He was Very confident that the converter would work really well with my setup and said the faster I ramp in the nitrous the better.My trans builder TSI said he could get me a little better deal and would order it for me while he puts the brake in the trans.He only uses them for pretty much all his builds. Thx for help everyone!! Basically besides the converter the car is really moving out,after I worked out grimlins of course so no doubt it should run some really good numbers next year!!!

Quick Reply: 14.3:1cr 398ci combo dyno#s pics and New videos added to first post!!