LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

chandler motorsport billet optispark?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So let me get this straight...

One member says he likes how it looks but never actually tried or owns one. He does he claim, "I would buy it." but probably never will.

Two members say they have had it. One likes it but he had to take it apart and essentially "modify" it for peace of mind. Another has only had it for 10k miles.

Another person says he bought a cheap Chinese knock off from Advanced Auto because it has a lifetime warranty.

Then EVERYONE else says save yourself the time (let us not forget time = money) and buy a legit unit. Yet after all that you go against what many members say? I myself have ran with an original OEM unit for 125k miles. I now have a new AC Delco unit because I had the motor apart that far anyway and my WP leaked on it, not because it was dead for another 25k miles now spinning well beyond 6k rpms. I also sold my old unit to an E-bay member in need of a quick break for $100. If a guy will spend $100 on a used legit unit what makes you think this $90 unit is any good? Why did you even bother posting this if you were not going to listen in the first place?

Please, post your results. Maybe you found a diamond in the rough!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

People lock tight the rotor screws on the ac delco optis, so that argument is void. And they're not that hard to replace anyway, my first opti took me 1.5hr. It's been said before on this forum, that all optis are a roll of the dice as far as longevity and being doa.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup. I have a bastard opti b/c when I replaced mine, i was a broke joker. CMS cap and rotor w/ a Cardone dist and optical sensor. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a full CMS unit and I probably will here pretty soon. Then return that Cardone and get my money back for it.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On one of the forums someone was claiming they went to a dealer to buy a new unit and when they got home they realized it was a reman unit. they went back to the dealer and they claimed that's all they make and they are not using the Mitsubishi sensors on them either.

If this is all true then whats the point of buying a high priced delco unit because people buy them because of the good sensors.. The thing about it is that you can usually get the parts long after they have been discontinued but still.

Quick Reply: chandler motorsport billet optispark?