LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 intake mainifold question need help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 intake mainifold question need help ASAP!!

OK so I decided to tackle my pesky oil leak on the intake these past few days and everything went great expect when I put it back on I torqued all the bolts to spec and realized i forgot that pan that bolts to the bottom of the intake. It looks like an oil guard of some sort and I was wondering if I can do without or pull everything back off and start over. Quick answers would be great as I sit in my garage kicking myself that i forgot it.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe its only a heatshield to keep hot oil off the bottom of the intake manifold. I'm sure you're OK but you may loose some hp to the hotter intake.

Last edited by guppymech; 08-07-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

If gm put it on the car I would say that its there for a reason... If its was me I would restart and ensure it was together as it was the first time. Its not that difficult to pull it, install it and reseal it if you have done it once already..
Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Ok I figured it was a heatsheild. And usually I am a religious follower of if it was there in the first place its there for a reason but i think ill take my chances since it isn't too hard of a job. Everything is already back together too that's why I hesitate to pull it back off. Thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJBAILEY84
If gm put it on the car I would say that its there for a reason... If its was me I would restart and ensure it was together as it was the first time. Its not that difficult to pull it, install it and reseal it if you have done it once already..
Just like the AIR Pumps, EGR, catalytic converters, spare tires/scissor jacks, skip shift, restrictive mufflers, paper air filters, intake silencers, and exhaust manifolds that everyone uses, right?

jk

Originally Posted by panman142
Ok I figured it was a heatsheild. And usually I am a religious follower of if it was there in the first place its there for a reason but i think ill take my chances since it isn't too hard of a job. Everything is already back together too that's why I hesitate to pull it back off. Thanks
I believe it's called a windage tray. Some people run without them, but it's probably best to have it in there, especially if you are capable of doing the work.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks. Yeah ill hopefully be doing an intake cam heads deal here soon so it should be fine til then ? I guess..
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Village Troll

Received 530 Likes on 382 Posts

It's not a heat shield. It is an oil baffle for the PCV system. Leaving it off means your PCV system will be ingesting every bit of the oil vapors being produced in the oil valley while the engine is on. Do yourself a favor, take the manifold back off and do it right.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Dang. Ok. Think those gaskets will still be okay with the rtv that's on em? Or just spend the 15 bucks for a new set?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

New set...pull the intake and try again.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
New set...pull the intake and try again.
Yep get a new set, the last thing you want is to reuse the gaskets and have a new oil leak or vaccum leak.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhh.. :homer:
Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by panman142
Dang. Ok. Think those gaskets will still be okay with the rtv that's on em? Or just spend the 15 bucks for a new set?
If they have already been heat cycled then yes, new pair.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It's not a heat shield. It is an oil baffle for the PCV system. Leaving it off means your PCV system will be ingesting every bit of the oil vapors being produced in the oil valley while the engine is on. Do yourself a favor, take the manifold back off and do it right.
^^This.

And don't sweat it. We all have made mistakes.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Just like the AIR Pumps, EGR, catalytic converters, spare tires/scissor jacks, skip shift, restrictive mufflers, paper air filters, intake silencers, and exhaust manifolds that everyone uses, right?

jk

I believe it's called a windage tray. Some people run without them, but it's probably best to have it in there, especially if you are capable of doing the work.
Lol... I was referring to internal type parts.. AIR, EGR is a little different..

Great info and good to know.. Thanks for posting it...
Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Just out of curiosity could someone shed some light on how it acts as a baffle for the pcv? I see that slit at the bottom of the intake and since there's sludge in that pan I assume oil comes through the slit into the manifold via the holes drilled at the end of the pan. I just don't see the need for the pan other than to keep hot oil off the intake and have all the oil from that slit drain through it back into the lifted valley
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Village Troll

I won't get into the specifics of how a PCV system works since you can easily look that up, but the one simple way to look at this is the inside of your engine needs to breath from the normal actuation of internal engine components as well as normal blow-by. That pan is not a filter. Simply a baffle. The oil vapors will be less prone to enter the PCV system with the baffle in place. It's the same for the breather tube on the passenger valve cover. There is a baffle in place so oil does not make its way into the breather tube. The stock baffle does not always work well, but does help nonetheless.
If you think you can get away without the PCV baffle then leave it off, but don't be surprised when you start fouling out plugs and have oil consumption issues. BTW, the sludge build up is either the oil not being changed when it should and/or a recurrence of the engine not being brought up to normal operating temperature.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^ this
Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Interesting read as I too have this issue?
when I purchased the motor lt4 396 stroker, the intake is also lt4 and it does not have the tray on there and i am having the problem with oil consumption and blow by! now I know why didnt even realize it wasnt there till this post so thanks guys good inof now to find a tray and get in put back in.any other tricks to solve this issue such as using a catch can help if the tray isnt there?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Teching In

X2 on the catch can. That "should" take most of the oil that would enter the pcv through it, out right? I'll put it back on I just don't have the chunk of time needed to do it for a couple weeks...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I can see the metal intake manifold shield performing a baffle function on the LT1 with the pcv valve in the intake, historically GM has used a metal pan on the bottom of the intake manifold as a heat shield. Every SBC and BBC carb intake manifold I have seen has had one and they don't have any pcv valve provisions in the intake. If it was only a baffle they almost certainly would've made it more compact.

Last edited by guppymech; 08-09-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: LT1 intake mainifold question need help ASAP!!