LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 hard to start

I picked up a 96 Camaro from a guy this past week that didn't run. He explained to me that he was having opti problems and replaced it. After he was done with all that work the car wouldn't start and he gave up. I got the car home and started redoing everything he did and putting all back together. I was able to start the car and it ran great. Problem I am having is it takes a while and you have to pump the accealator to get to start. I have never ran into this problem before. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It could be a couple of problems. Start by checking for a weak ignition coil (cheap to replace). Do this with an inline spark checker. You also need to check the fuel pressure. There is a fuel valve on the driver's side of the manifold, screw it off and stick a fuel pressure gauge on it. It should be 39psi or higher, if not replace the fuel pump. Then there's the other things to check: spark plugs, clogged injectors.

As always, with an LT1 the problem is not fixing the problem, it is finding it. BTW, what type of opti did the guy use to replace the old one? If it's a cheap Chinese one you might want to consider getting a Delphi or AC Delco, which are what came with the car originally and yield the best reliability.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Launching!

I am going to check the fuel pressure today. I wasn't sure how many pounds, thanks. I also thought about the coil. He bought an excel opti. He had installed it wrong. The cam dowd was in the wrong slot on the opti.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Launching!

I really hope it's not a opti problem, that is a pain in the butt. But like I said earlier once it's running it's fine. Throttle up perfectly, ideals perfect great oil pressure, just takes a while to get it to start and playing with the pedal!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im thinking if he installed the opti wrong it wouldnt start...and if it did it would pop out of the exhaust or run very rough. Like it was missing. Sounds to be like fuel pump bleed off which typically happens if the pump is on its way out.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Launching!

It's got a brand new fuel pump in it. I am just not sure on pressure or if it was installed right. So far everything I found the this guy fixed was done half ***. The motor is getting fuel, now if it's the correct psi I don't know. On the back of the intake I pushed the pressure valve in and fuel sprayed everywhere. I am leaning towards that coil pack. I am going to pick one up on the way home today. I also read on a thread about a LCM causing these problems. Any idea what the hell that is? I am no where near being a mechanic but I love a challenge and learning new thing.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Okay, update! Put a new coil pack in from advance auto and still the same. I have to hold the pedal to the floor and keep turning the starter over for 40 to 50 seconds before it will start. I have never experenced this before. Got to love these cars! Lol! Need more ideas!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At this point we don't know the fuel pressure. I'll assume it's okay, and obviously the coil is good. Are your getting bright spark at the plugs? It's sounding more like there's a fuel problem.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Launching!

I am wondering if it's a crapy opti. I have read mixed thoughts on the ascel opti, that why I went with an msd. The fuel I think is fine but I will check it next. And the only reason I believe that is that while your trying to crank it you can smell it.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Alright today is fuel pump day. I have checked everything on the motor and everything seems to be fine. I have read where some people were having this same problem before after replacing their fuel pump. This one was recently replaced. Going to drop it and make sure all the lines are good and tight. Hopefully this works. Bought ready to push it off a cliff!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can smell fuel while it's cranking, that means that it isn't combusting. Either no or weak spark, flooded engine, badly leaking FPR, leaky injectors. Hmm. Instead of pushing it off a cliff, how about you get it into my parking lot. I'll pay for the gas to tow it and get you back.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Is the Security light on by chance??? Accel sucks since theyre made in china now Fuel pressure 43.5lbs with key on?? NGK or A/C Delco spark plugs? New wires?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Launching!

No security lights, not sure on the fuel pressure, my gage isn't working. Waiting for a friend to come over with his gauges.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Update! Fuel pressure is 45 at key on and while trying to crank. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
http://shbox.com/1/1996_ec_03_ign_system.jpg
Time to bust out the multimeter and the test light. Also, make sure that your connections are plugging together well. I had a no-fire condition on my car b/c connecter C on the ICM pigtail, the wire that carries signal from the optical sensor to the ICM, was bent open and not connecting well to the ICM. Also, does the fuel pressure stay up there or does it quickly fall off after peaking?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Launching!

The pressure stays up will cranking, and stayed will key was on. But of course it starts dropping when you turn the key off.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Okay this might be a stupid question. Is the ICM the computer on the firewall. Or is it something different. If so where is it located?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://shbox.com/1/coil_loc.jpg

Ignition Control Module
Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by little Red Camaro
The pressure stays up will cranking, and stayed will key was on. But of course it starts dropping when you turn the key off.
How fast does the pressure drop? Pull the hose off your fuel pressure regulator. If gas comes out you found your problem. Replace the regulator.

http://shbox.com/1/fp_reg.jpg
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Launching!

The pressure doesn't drop to fast, but within 5 minutes it's back to zero. I did notice when I took the pressure gauge off the fuel that was in it was a redish tent and smelled different. I am wondering if the previous owner put stabilizer in the fuel. And I pulled one of the plugs and it was black and gunky. I am taking the ICM to O'Reilly and having them check it. And also buyin new plugs. I am thinking of trying to drain the tank and replacing all the filters on it.

I love this ****!

Quick Reply: LT1 hard to start