LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition stuck in the OFF position, physically won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition stuck in the OFF position, physically won't turn over

It's not the steering wheel lock.

This happened the last time I had to start the car. I eventually managed to turn it over by force, it took me a while and I felt like something was about to break. The same thing happened today. I only tried a couple of times and gave up since I was kinda late for work anyway so I just took my other car and now I'm here.

Ideas? Never had this happen in a car.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your ignition switch mounted on top of the steering column sounds to be the culprit.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
Your ignition switch mounted on top of the steering column sounds to be the culprit.

This ^^ Ive had it go bad before. Was a bitch to replace.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Do you have another key to try? On my dads 2000 chevy 1500 his ignition would not turn because the key was all worn down from use. For a while you could take the key out while the car was running, but now it just wont work at all so he had to start using his spare. Just thought I would throw that out there, start simple and try another key if you got it.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I tried the spare key, same thing. Would've been nice though.

I just gave the car a full Koni/Strano/UMI/BMR treatment and this is how it rewards me.

Looking at the Shbox writeup, I've experienced some of the symptoms he describes before. "When you try to start the car, there are no dash lights, no crank, no nothing" and "When mine was dying, it even cut off a couple times while driving".

The ignition switch definitely seems like the culprit. As unlikely as it is, could it be anything else besides the switch?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Doubtful, get to the auto parts store get the Borg Warner model and put it in.....
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
Doubtful, get to the auto parts store get the Borg Warner model and put it in.....
I live in Iceland, where parts stores don't carry LT1 parts.

I've used Rock Auto for replacement parts. Any reason I shouldn't just buy the AC Delco #D1473C?

Last edited by Lizard King; 09-01-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

This may sound simple but...this has to be said. Have u tried turning the steering wheel to take the weight of the steering mechanism. Turn the wheel both directions and turn the key. Do u know what i mean? It's happened before believe me i know! On many peoples cars.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Junkie

I cannot see your location from my android. Sure a GM part would definitely be suggested.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
This may sound simple but...this has to be said. Have u tried turning the steering wheel to take the weight of the steering mechanism. Turn the wheel both directions and turn the key. Do u know what i mean? It's happened before believe me i know! On many peoples cars.
That's not the case, unfortunately.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait, a little clarification. Is it the ignition lock cylinder that won't turn, as if it's binding? Because the ignition switch won't cause that.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Wait, a little clarification. Is it the ignition lock cylinder that won't turn, as if it's binding? Because the ignition switch won't cause that.
The switch sure can cause that. The contacts can get fried/melted and jam up. To prove it is the switch that is jammed, disconnect the rod and see if the key will turn freely.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Yeah, the ignition lock cylinder won't turn.

Originally Posted by shbox
To prove it is the switch that is jammed, disconnect the rod and see if the key will turn freely.
What rod? Feeling kinda dumb now.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

If you read my ignition switch replacement guide, you will see there is a rod that actuates the switch. The switch will have to be lifted off it's mounting, since the rod is underneath it.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Recently my car would turn on, but not turn off. Ended up being the ignition switich actuator. This piece is turned by the key and moves the rod that goes to the ignition switch. Here is a autozone link that shows what it looks like
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-j4uzxZ9na6e
My column had alot of damage due to 271k of use, so I bought a low mileage junkyard column and was alot easier to fix then to replace the ignition switch actuator

hth

andy schuck
Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Guys, the OP has stated that his key cylinder will not turn. He has a problem with the cylinder itself or the key itself. There's also a chance the transmission interlock within the steering column is jamming the cylinder.

The ignition SWITCH is a separate component.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Guys, the OP has stated that his key cylinder will not turn. He has a problem with the cylinder itself or the key itself. There's also a chance the transmission interlock within the steering column is jamming the cylinder.

The ignition SWITCH is a separate component.
I'm telling you that if the switch jams up, the rest of it won't move, either. Might not be the switch, but it certainly can be. You must troubleshoot to find out. Given the switch is a the most common failure point, it would likely be the first thing to look at.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the lock will not rotate, then there is a wafer (sliding thing that follows the profile of the key) jammed up in the tumbler inside the lock. Call a locksmith and he will come out to the car, remove the tumbler and rebuild it in his truck in about 45 minutes and give you a bill for about $150.00

Mine locked up this last year due to normal wear and tear but I was lucky mine stranded me while I was at work. Its an easy routine fix for a locksmith.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Well, I finally had time to work on the car today so I pulled the steering column and replaced the switch. I'm putting everything back together and I'm not sure how the transmission park/lock cable is supposed to go back in. There are two slots in the back of the ignition switch mount. I tried inserting the cable through the upper one and almost got it in, but didn't quite get there. So I tried the other one and got the same result. Which one is it? I don't wanna mess up the cable forcing it in the wrong way.

Name:  IMAG0490s.jpg
Views: 2316
Size:  409.3 KB
Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Before doing this, did you confirm the switch was the cause of the problem? With the switch removed, did the lock cylinder turn as it should?

Quick Reply: Ignition stuck in the OFF position, physically won't turn over