LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil in opti vent line

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil in opti vent line

I was on my way to work the other day and the TA decided she didn't want to idle below 1100. After I got to work I looked under the hood and noticed the vent line from the opti to the intake had slipped off. Tried to put it back on but it was loose- then noticed it had oil in it. I replaced the timing chain and all the seals last year but I knew something was occasionally dripping and just assumed it was the wp drive seal. Took it apart tonight and it appears that's where the leak is from but how would that oil leak get into the opti vent line? I pulled the opti out and the o-rings are there and in good shape. Seal in timing cover for opti seems to be good. I couldn't see any oil inside the opti itself. Should I take it apart and check? I siliconed it before I put it in so it wouldn't be fun to take apart lol. I will probably go ahead and replace the opti seal in the cover just because I already have one laying around. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The oil is coming from the opti vent harness probably from excessive crankcase pressure/blowby. Chances are also good that the check valve in the vacuum line is no longer holding. Try replacing the hose.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also make sure the bearing in the back of the water pump is tight. The drive is supported by that bearing. Saw a oil leak from the drive seal do to this.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys. Bearing in the water pump is good. I replaced all the vent hoses before with vacuum hose and just put the 2 check valves in. I blew in them to make sure they were working in the right way. Should i buy a whole new assembly from gm?

Last edited by SilverSS07; 09-10-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SilverSS07
Thanks guys. Bearing in the water pump is good. I replaced all the vent hoses before with vacuum hose and just put the 2 check valves in. I blew in them to make sure they were working in the right way. Should i buy a whole new assembly from gm?
Hey man if you find out that crankcase pressure is the problem dont forget to replace that pcv valve and check the hose.

Last edited by ny_z28man; 09-11-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks. I replaced all the hoses on the car and PCV a few thousand miles ago. I checked the PCV and it rattles fine. Sprayed some carb cleaner in it and it came out clean.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Default opti seal

I had an opti fill up with oil when the bearing in the back of the opti started leaking oil from the timing cover, but of course once it got full enough my car started running like crap.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by green96ta
I had an opti fill up with oil when the bearing in the back of the opti started leaking oil from the timing cover, but of course once it got full enough my car started running like crap.
If there was a way the opti would be the most susceptible to oil I would think that would be it. Just thinking if you had enough oil to pool in the vaccuum line coming from the intake you would also be burning it too. just a thought....
Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Possibly a pvc catch can could help? Mine catches oil i had no idea there was so much at higher rpm in the system! Just an idea.

Quick Reply: oil in opti vent line