LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

It is unusual for a throwout bearing to break like this? (updated pics with new TOB!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't the square top TO bearing used in Corvettes? All the F-Body clutches I've seen come with the round top bearing. Eckler's has the square top TO bearing in their 'vette catalog. It would be nice if our clutch kits came with the square top bearing.
I keep thinking of finding a way to convert to a standard type clutch/flywheel with a hyd TO bearing. That would get rid of this *** backwards pull type clutch we're forced to deal with.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I dig into this I think it is worth noting that there are folks posting pictures of bearings and clutch kits in this thread that are not ours. This is not clarified and it should be, especially if there is an assertion that we aren't taking care of people that are within the warranty period.

As noted in every kit that we supply, the warranty is 120-days from the date of purchase. Rob's parts were bought 11 months ago and as such they are out of warranty. I offered to assist him with a reduced price on a new bearing or a reduced price on the kit. I think this is fair based on the timeframe since purchase.

SS, we have thousands of these kits and bearings in use with no issue. As noted, a damaged fork or pivot can lead to contact with the cover. So to can incorrect disc thickness which changes the diaphragm position (I have seen this once or twice and it was addressed immediately). There has been no issue with the plate geometry/setup.

Issues with the square-top bearing have been relative to improper alignment. When using this bearing the fork should touch on the corners (think home-plate and 2nd base). Sometimes folks install the bearing with the fork touching the sides instead and this will eventually allow the fork to pull off or the bearing to be damaged.

WRD, it seems that you make some pretty sweeping statements relative to the bearing provided and via pictures (that clearly aren't of our kit or bearing). In an effort to clear this up, our bearings are sourced from a US bearing manufacturer.

Rob, as I have noted to you we have offered the same round-top OE-type replacement bearing for some time for all of our clutch stages. The only time in the past that we offered the square-top bearing for this application was when GM made a limited time change on the OE assembly that that formed the basis of our assembly.

In an effort to continue to provide a superior product and quell any question of the bearings design and strength we will begin to include an HD version of our bearing (this unit will have a square-top design) beginning next week. If you have an issue with any of our bearings then you are welcome to contact me. As always, I am happy to speak with you any time. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks taking the time to explain Jeremy.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Village Troll

Received 530 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
SS, we have thousands of these kits and bearings in use with no issue. As noted, a damaged fork or pivot can lead to contact with the cover. So to can incorrect disc thickness which changes the diaphragm position (I have seen this once or twice and it was addressed immediately). There has been no issue with the plate geometry/setup.
Perhaps the clutch was too thick. It seemed far easier to grind the fork than to have to send it back since I was on a deadline. I figure if the clutch disc was thick enough to rub the fork there would have been dragging issues?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Before I dig into this I think it is worth noting that there are folks posting pictures of bearings and clutch kits in this thread that are not ours. This is not clarified and it should be, especially if there is an assertion that we aren't taking care of people that are within the warranty period.

As noted in every kit that we supply, the warranty is 120-days from the date of purchase. Rob's parts were bought 11 months ago and as such they are out of warranty. I offered to assist him with a reduced price on a new bearing or a reduced price on the kit. I think this is fair based on the timeframe since purchase.

Issues with the square-top bearing have been relative to improper alignment. When using this bearing the fork should touch on the corners (think home-plate and 2nd base). Sometimes folks install the bearing with the fork touching the sides instead and this will eventually allow the fork to pull off or the bearing to be damaged.

WRD, it seems that you make some pretty sweeping statements relative to the bearing provided and via pictures (that clearly aren't of our kit or bearing). In an effort to clear this up, our bearings are sourced from a US bearing manufacturer.

Rob, as I have noted to you we have offered the same round-top OE-type replacement bearing for some time for all of our clutch stages. The only time in the past that we offered the square-top bearing for this application was when GM made a limited time change on the OE assembly that that formed the basis of our assembly.

In an effort to continue to provide a superior product and quell any question of the bearings design and strength we will begin to include an HD version of our bearing (this unit will have a square-top design) beginning next week. If you have an issue with any of our bearings then you are welcome to contact me. As always, I am happy to speak with you any time. Thanks!
1. Very happy with the clutch. If I wasn't I wouldn't have ordered a 2nd one.

2. Also very LUCKY that his happened in very low speed stop and go traffic and not spinning it at 6500 rpm.

3. Understand that it's way out of warranty. I'm griping about the fact that a heavier version of the TO bearing exists when I asked Tick performance and you about it and no one mentioned that one existed. As you can see in a comment that I quoted, someone that got a spec stage 2 got one with their kit.

4. Not looking for freebies, would pay for the upgraded TO bearing with the new Spec stage 2.

More than happy to discuss this over the phone tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SPEC, I was speaking to the busted OP's bearing that is on the blue SPEC pressure plate with the white SPEC sticker. Whether your bearing is American made or not, I stand by what I said "This particular mechanical failure is either material failure or assembly failure, take your pick and its becoming more common. IMO, where the cylinder rolls over to crimp the hat on, that metal stretches and becomes too thin to perform the job and then eventually, boom.". That said this is not the first time this has been seen with a SPEC product on this board. Of course it has happened to brand X, Y Z as well.

This TOB failure is in absolutely no way different that what the LT1 community is seeing with the Chinese knockoffs or the ones that are claimed to be made in the USA. IMO, this particular failure is more of a "coming apart failure" due to likely crappy assembly as opposed to a breakage failure.

Originally Posted by guppymech
Wasn't the square top TO bearing used in Corvettes? All the F-Body clutches I've seen come with the round top bearing. Eckler's has the square top TO bearing in their 'vette catalog. It would be nice if our clutch kits came with the square top bearing.
I keep thinking of finding a way to convert to a standard type clutch/flywheel with a hyd TO bearing. That would get rid of this *** backwards pull type clutch we're forced to deal with.
The thinner round flange (hat) is not the problem and the thicker square flange really does little to prevent this problem. The excess crimping or rolling over process during assembly is what ultimately what will cause this problem. That said, I still like the thicker square flange TOB because it welds up better, like shown in the pic.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The thinner round flange (hat) is not the problem and the thicker square flange really does little to prevent this problem. The excess crimping or rolling over process during assembly is what ultimately what will cause this problem. That said, I still like the thicker square flange TOB because it welds up better, like shown in the pic.
So even though the square plate is thicker than the round it's the rolled area that is the weak point. Looks that way in the pic too. If that's true than even welding it on the outside might not help. Can't tell from this pic whether the rolled area is thicker or not but ****** that posted this pic says the one on the right came with the Spec stage 2+. If so after what happened with mine why was it not offered?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I even have tack welds under the hat but they cant be seen in the pic and IMO they provide the most strength. This mod has been going strong for me for quite some time.
Tack weld both sides Rob, that will do the trick.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Village Troll

Let's just say the clutch fork and pivot point are not damaged. Can you answer as to how it is a thicker clutch, which allows contact to be made with the clutch fork, would not have dragging issues? This Spec 3+ pressure plate was accompanied with the same clutch and TO bearing from the kit as well as the same clutch fork which replaced a Spec IV pressure plate, clutch and Spec TO bearing and had no issues. Yet when the Spec 3+ was installed the result was this:

What are the allowable tolerances regarding thickness of the Spec 3+ clutch supposed to be?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
So even though the square plate is thicker than the round it's the rolled area that is the weak point. Looks that way in the pic too. If that's true than even welding it on the outside might not help. Can't tell from this pic whether the rolled area is thicker or not but ****** that posted this pic says the one on the right came with the Spec stage 2+. If so after what happened with mine why was it not offered?
Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
Tack weld both sides Rob, that will do the trick.
Ding...ding...ding

BTW when welding under the hat, take into account fork clearances and only weld a single tack at a time to prevent overheating the unit and damaging the inner plastic sleeve. IIRC, I have 4 nice tacks under my square hat.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the wrecked bearing. I'm no metalurgist but it's amazing this doesn't happen more often with the thin amount of metal I see here. I can see now why you guys tack weld it. There are no markings as to where it's made (China or USA). Rob at Brigandi Bros was showing me how much force you need to pull the pressure plate fingers. He wasn't thrilled with the design and he knows his ****.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

As noted in every kit that we supply, the warranty is 120-days from the date of purchase.

In an effort to clear this up, our bearings are sourced from a US bearing manufacturer.

In an effort to continue to provide a superior product and quell any question of the bearings design and strength we will begin to include an HD version of our bearing (this unit will have a square-top design) beginning next week. !
1. the 120 day warrenty is weak. just about any chain auto part store offers 12m/12k mi...some lifetime and that is on China crap.

2. it is my post showing the "square" top TO bearing I got with your 2+ clutch. If made in America...it is not marked as such. Maybe your "US" supplier gets them offshore. I do feel it is a better TO bearing simply because it has a measured thicker flange top

3. your position to now change to what is regarded as a "better" TO bearing is noted. Given this SPEC product change my opinion is they should be offered free or at cost to those who had "SPEC" clutch TO bearings fail.

another note on "date of purchase" for warrenty. Many of us buy parts towards a build but don't install them for sometimes months later. Yes clutches get significant use & abuse but when a part fails because of design, materials or workmanship it certainly should be covered longer than 120 days.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Let's just say the clutch fork and pivot point are not damaged. Can you answer as to how it is a thicker clutch, which allows contact to be made with the clutch fork, would not have dragging issues? This Spec 3+ pressure plate was accompanied with the same clutch and TO bearing from the kit as well as the same clutch fork which replaced a Spec IV pressure plate, clutch and Spec TO bearing and had no issues. Yet when the Spec 3+ was installed the result was this:
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...7/DSC09678.jpg

What are the allowable tolerances regarding thickness of the Spec 3+ clutch supposed to be?
Anything that increases the clutch and flywheel assembly height off the block face such as a thicker flywheel will cause the fork to travel closer to the pressure plate upper outer edge.

Similarly, a thicker clutch disc which increases bearing travel for clutch release will also lead to fork travel close to the pressure plate.

I don't know that you do or do not have an apples to apples parts comparison but I know it's frustrating for the Valeo setup to have so narrow a tolerance for minor parts dimension changes.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by jmd
Anything that increases the clutch and flywheel assembly height off the block face such as a thicker flywheel will cause the fork to travel closer to the pressure plate upper outer edge.
Brand new stock flywheel was used for both Spec IV and Spec 3 installation.
Similarly, a thicker clutch disc which increases bearing travel for clutch release will also lead to fork travel close to the pressure plate.
I'm not sure where the increased bearing travel comes into play? If anything the travel will be decreased if the clutch and/or PP are thicker, which is why I question how it is a thicker clutch, which could cause the PP to come into contact with the clutch fork and not have dragging issues like what I experienced?

Last edited by SS RRR; 09-14-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey SSRRR can you post a pic of the stock fork and your modified one so I can see where the clearancing was done so I can do mine while the trans is out, thanks?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
Hey SSRRR can you post a pic of the stock fork and your modified one so I can see where the clearancing was done so I can do mine while the trans is out, thanks?
I take it you are taking preventative measures and haven't had this problem yet? If you have, you can just reference where the PP came into contact (which is what I did). Here's a pic of a stock clutch fork:
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I'm not sure where the increased bearing travel comes into play? If anything the travel will be decreased if the clutch and/or PP are thicker, which is why I question how it is a thicker clutch, which could cause the PP to come into contact with the clutch fork and not have dragging issues like what I experienced?
I worded that poorly with regard to travel. If the disc is thicker, the inner end of the fork is going to have to rise farther away from the engine to release the clutch, putting the outer end of the fork closer to the pressure plate edge. Total travel may be the same.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:28 AM
FormerVendor

SS RRR, disc thickness affects diaphragm height as a result of its impact on the position of the plate and thus the fingers and the fork. If a disc is either too thick or too thin is can cause enough diaphragm height change to put the fork out of position. As noted, we have addressed this in instances where it has occured. Tollerence is +/- .005 placing the thickness between .350-.360".

Rob, The earlier offered square bearing was not the same as the newly offered HD bearing. This is something we are offering as a result of your situation and I am sure that it will help with any further issues. The Round bearing was all that has been offered for some time and there was no square bearing offered for any of our kits when you ordered.

WRD and *****, its clear that we are damned if we do, damned if we don't in your opinion (and this isn't the first time you have made your opinion clear). We are attempting to help a customer and work to address any further potential for bearing damage by offering a HD version of the bearing. As noted in my first post I am happy to work with anyone that has an issue with our bearing. I'm sorry if this doesn't make you happy...damn me all you want! And, if you all ever make it down to AL drop by I will be happy to buy you a beer...again damn me!

Let me know if you all have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Village Troll

SS RRR, disc thickness affects diaphragm height as a result of its impact on the position of the plate and thus the fingers and the fork. If a disc is either too thick or too thin is can cause enough diaphragm height change to put the fork out of position. As noted, we have addressed this in instances where it has occured. Tollerence is +/- .005 placing the thickness between .350-.360".
I appreciate the reply, however I am still puzzled by this. I understand the fingers would be positioned differently which would cause the fork to also be positioned differently, but I would also think that would cause a dragging issue. That's all I'm trying to say. In any of these instances did anyone complain of the clutch dragging?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

WRD and *****, its clear that we are damned if we do, damned if we don't in your opinion (and this isn't the first time you have made your opinion clear). We are attempting to help a customer and work to address any further potential for bearing damage by offering a HD version of the bearing. As noted in my first post I am happy to work with anyone that has an issue with our bearing. I'm sorry if this doesn't make you happy...damn me all you want!
...and your chapped at me for having an opinion on a failure of your TOB which is identical to what we are seeing from Chinese ****? If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck...

Knowing what I know about American industry, I dont believe your American TOB source is actually making them here in the USA to the pecise OEM spec because there is little money to be made considering the outdated design and demand. I could be wrong but you did not specify that they are actually Americn made to precise OEM spec, just sourced in the USA.

3 month warranty the disk and PP all you want, I can respect your view. OPs TOB failure is the result of materials failure or faulty assembly and should have been replaced at no charge no questions asked, in my opinion and you work it out with you American source.

Is it fair that SPEC has a very consistant opinion on a public message board that most SPEC clutch issues are installer error right from the jump in most threads? Just saying.

Last edited by wrd1972; 09-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: It is unusual for a throwout bearing to break like this? (updated pics with new TOB!)