LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what is this knocking?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is this knocking?!

i have a forged 383 stroker and i had taken the motor/trans out of the car due to something that fell down into the oil pan. i got whats i needed out and put new gaskits on about everything but the heads. i had the msd optispark off to replace timing chain gaskit and seal for optispark shaft. anyways i got the motor back in and went to start it and it wouldnt start. i checked spark and fuel and both of those were good.. so i asked my brother who is very fimiliar with this car and he said well if u have intake, spark, gas, compression it should run so he suggested that maybe i put the optispark on wrong....sure enough it was...when i put the optispark on i wasnt paying attention to how i was putting it in.. well turns out i put it in wrong and stripped the the tooth that is wide and that fits in the slot in the cam. but i can see were it is stripped. so i take a needle and stick it in the end of the cam to get a good idea were the slot is and then try to line the stripped tooth in the slot. well i have had it off several time and half the time i would miss the slot and it wouldnt run. sometimes i would put it in and it would just backfire, and sometimes start but sounds terrible. and there it a couple times where i think i got it in perfect and it starts right up but has a terrrible knock! but idles fine just has a terrible knock. anyone have an idea? bad optispark? and even when i unplug the coil and just turn it over it sounds like there is a little knock? but it ran perfectly before i took the motor out. and no the part that got dropped into the oil pan there motor never ran when it fell so that couldnt have messed up the motor
Old 09-18-2012, 04:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you misaligned the pin there's a chance when you tightened the optispark down it pressed the rotor against the cap causing internal damage to the opti.

If this isn't the case then check and recheck plug wires/order.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

If I pull the opti apart will I be able to see I the internal damage or will I not be able to tell? And I don't am100% positive the plugs are right because I have checked to
Make sure those are on right over and over
Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

And even when i disconnect the coil it still knocks a little
Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

And even when i disconnect the coil it still knocks a little

Quick Reply: what is this knocking?!