LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help?!?!?!?!??? Timing chain????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by save_the_t/a
Also, he said when he pulled the timing cover there was alot of small hard plastic pieces he could not identify. any idea what it could have been?
Chain breaking, valve hitting piston, valve smashing into plugs, pull the engine, rebuild, ARP rod's n mains, head n cam.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Chain breaking, valve hitting piston, valve smashing into plugs, pull the engine, rebuild, ARP rod's n mains, head n cam.
k, just send me the money and i'll jump right on that!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Nothing can crush a spark plug like that except debris in the cylinder, or a bent valve. My advice, as much as you are going to hate it, is to pull the head that that plug came out of. You said a piece of the electrode is missing, I have seen some horrible damage to piston faces, cylinder walls and combustion chambers from electrodes breaking off. At this point the motor may still be salvageable, but attempting to start it again without knowing what is going on in the cylinder could kill it. At the very least I would get a hold of a tiny fiberoptic camera and stick it in the plug hole to see if the valves are both seated properly. Also, get a new stock replacement timing set.
I am doing a compression check, starting with that cylinder. Where would I find such a camera?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't do a compression check that involves you turning the motor over with the starter, causing more damage

I don't know off the top of my head where to get the camera, I have one at work but don't know where we got it. Google it.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Teching In

i cannot get the cam sprocket on with the chain, but here is what it looks like bolted (finger tight) without the chain. if its not lined up its jumped time right? I mean, because the cam sprocket will only go on one way. the crank sprocket has not been removed.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Ok, heres my theory of what happened. A tooth broke off the crank gear, allowing the cain to slip a tooth, "as pictured", the crank sensor caught this which in turn told the engine to shut off and not start. I checked, and all valves, rockers, retainers, springs and push rods are in place and function as they should, or so it seems. I put the chain on and turned the engine over by hand and everything moved accordingly as it should. Assembly and start up later this week. Opti was hard to turn by hand so I got a new one, an Accel unit from orielly for $225, cap, rotor and all. Took it apart and used locktite on the threads of the rotor bolts as well as silicone on not only the seal in the unit, but around the outside of the unit where it goes together. Shes sealed up tighter than a ticks ***!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tighter than a tick's *** doesn't mean jack when you bought the absolute worst opti available today, unfortunately.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Tighter than a tick's *** doesn't mean jack when you bought the absolute worst opti available today, unfortunately.
No kidding......I was actually excited you found the problem and then you said Accel..........I literally facepalmed.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
No kidding......I was actually excited you found the problem and then you said Accel..........I literally facepalmed.
ehhh, I figured I would give it a shot. thought if I seal it up good and locktite the screws, it would last. Saw one post where a guy used one on his bette for 40k miles till his water pump pissed all over it.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by save_the_t/a
ehhh, I figured I would give it a shot. thought if I seal it up good and locktite the screws, it would last. Saw one post where a guy used one on his bette for 40k miles till his water pump pissed all over it.
They just have a bad rap, but at least you fixed it up a little bit so maybe it will last awhile.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

just for info sake....stock timing chain? how many miles? stock cam?

When I got a new timing chain it was a bitch to get it on. I was literally sitting indian style under the car with my head where the radiator should be lol.

Iver never understood the whole taking apart the opti you just spent money on to loctite screws and add sealant. I dont care what brand it is, if people are doing it to make it last, then its a **** brand in my eyes.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Got it all back together, for those interested, here is the startup video.The miss went away on its own after about 10 minutes into the BG 109 engine flush.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Village Troll

Received 535 Likes on 387 Posts

Not sure if it's just the audio or if there is a whooshing noise I hear, but it sounds like the bellows is not seated right on the throttle body.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought I heard a loose rocker at the beginning of your vid.

Quick Reply: Help?!?!?!?!??? Timing chain????????