LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock crank and 2 bolt mains.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stock crank and 2 bolt mains.

If using a stock crank in a budget 355 build with forged rods and pistons and arp hardware everywhere.

Would the stock crank still be fine with a cam making power at 65-6600 with arp main bolts?

I really dont want to have a 4 bolt splayed main conversion done since it is a budget build and ive read of a bbody guy spinning to 7000 with stock crank so i was jw...

but all in all would i be safe on stock crank with 2 bolt mains and with a cam around 6600 and a 150 shot?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

not even close to being a valid concern. There are guys turning whole stock rotating assemblies 7000rpm and the specific guy you are thinking of does that and sprays it with a 75shot.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 bolt mains can take more than you think & are good to 7000rpm With High RPM & horsepower a 4bolt is better. With forged rods & pistons youll be fine with a 150 shot Just get good forged pistons & not the TRWs that someones Uncle used to run in a old 350 that was the fastest thing in PoDunk USA back in the Early 70s LoL GET some JE, Diamond, Wiseco or atleast SRP pistons & youll be fine
Old 09-21-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

HOLY **** Me & Caprice AGREE LoL Must be the End of the World LMAO Just Kiddin Caprice
Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Launching!

mmk just wanted to make sure id be safe with the stock crank at that rpm with spray thanks guys!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Use a High Pressure oil pump Not high volume!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

in 12 years on various LT1 platform forums I have yet to see an example of a stock crank fail as the cause of an engine failure. There are guys who have sprayed two stages on top of heads/cam, guys who have done boost plus spray.

Hell most guys who do say a cam and nitrous do a 150 shot, probably a few heads/cam stock shortblock cars out there doing it. There is actually a guy here with a carbed LT1 in a third gen that has heads/cam and sprays to I believe mid 9s.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm that guy spinning to 7000-7100 and running a 75 shot sometimes. about 600 crank hp. Complete stock rotating assembly except for the ARP rod bolts (resized rods). 3 seasons now; probably 150 passes.
No worries whatsoever for your stock crank.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

My 350 is still alive and kicking. No upgrade on the rod bolts either. It lived for 2 years with a 5200rpm converter shifting at 6900 hundreds of times. No spray for me though, never ran it. The engine always had good oil pressure though, on the high side for an LT1. Some day I will buy a good roller, and plop it back inside without touching a thing. I don't even know the mileage that it has but I put about 15,000 on it and made hundreds of passes at the track.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...one stock motor can be different from Another. One day my stock block internals shifting at 6300 may one day throw a berring. So caprice...what would be your recipie for lets say 6500 rpm shifting motor, that u know for a fact will survive 7k all day long? Crank rods and bolts berrings pump? Minimul expense and then next step up. WHAT WOULD U USE OR USE? I value ur opinion in this area! Thank u
Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

The opti will prob snap off the shaft at that high rpm
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to highjack but at what point would you guys upgrade to a 4 bolt cap?
Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
So...one stock motor can be different from Another. One day my stock block internals shifting at 6300 may one day throw a berring. So caprice...what would be your recipie for lets say 6500 rpm shifting motor, that u know for a fact will survive 7k all day long? Crank rods and bolts berrings pump? Minimul expense and then next step up. WHAT WOULD U USE OR USE? I value ur opinion in this area! Thank u
Like Pat said you recondition the stock rods with ARP hardware and you have extra insurance vs stock. The stock crank is in no way a concern. Stock pistons are fine so long as you don't detonate. If upgrading pistons though I would go ahead and buy aftermarket rods since you will be rebalancing anyway.

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
The opti will prob snap off the shaft at that high rpm
Competent people often have no opti issues atall, hell on another forum a guy said he simply pop rivets the electrode to the rotor and turns on 8500rpm. The fact that ever dumb kid with a 12 second f-body has opti issues is more a comment on their own incompetence than the opti.

Originally Posted by transbird95
Not to highjack but at what point would you guys upgrade to a 4 bolt cap?

I don't think anyone has a clear answer, I know of one guy with 500rwhp through an automatic NA on studded 2-bolt and been doing it a LONG time. Other guys say they see some cap movement before that. My guess would be it depends on a number of factors, rotating assembly weight and balance, how tight the cap is in the register, how much actual use it gets etc.
Honestly though if you expect a build to be in the 500rwhp range what is the extra few hundred dollars for 4-bolt caps and machining and it usually better to spend a little extra up front than correct potential issues later..

I suspect the quality of the machining plays in as well, IMO there are a LOT of engine shops out there and only a tiny minority do truly good work. Even most shops with good reputations only have a good reputation because people don't know any better.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Like Pat said you recondition the stock rods with ARP hardware and you have extra insurance vs stock. The stock crank is in no way a concern. Stock pistons are fine so long as you don't detonate. If upgrading pistons though I would go ahead and buy aftermarket rods since you will be rebalancing anyway.

Competent people often have no opti issues atall, hell on another forum a guy said he simply pop rivets the electrode to the rotor and turns on 8500rpm. The fact that ever dumb kid with a 12 second f-body has opti issues is more a comment on their own incompetence than the opti.

I don't think anyone has a clear answer, I know of one guy with 500rwhp through an automatic NA on studded 2-bolt and been doing it a LONG time. Other guys say they see some cap movement before that. My guess would be it depends on a number of factors, rotating assembly weight and balance, how tight the cap is in the register, how much actual use it gets etc.
Honestly though if you expect a build to be in the 500rwhp range what is the extra few hundred dollars for 4-bolt caps and machining and it usually better to spend a little extra up front than correct potential issues later..

I suspect the quality of the machining plays in as well, IMO there are a LOT of engine shops out there and only a tiny minority do truly good work. Even most shops with good reputations only have a good reputation because people don't know any better.
I agree There is nothing wrong with the opti spark when its dry. So many **** talkers talk bad about it when really its the water pump seals and oil seals that is the problem. Only been on here a few days and see guys are replacing there optis and getting mad at them, when really they should be paying attention on why there failing(Water pump gaskets, seals) Opti is weak when it gets to moisture. As soon as you replace all the seals and gaskets your opti will last as advertised in the owners manual.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

See thats mainly what im worried about it should be about 400 rwhp on motor and adding a 150 shot i would asssume would put it to or around 500 rwhp.

The car would just be a weekend/weeknight car with trips to the strip 4 times a month mainly.

Is it stronger to get arp studs when spinning that high in a 2 bolt main or would i be fine with arp bolts?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i ran my 355 at 6800-7000rpm with stock crank and rods for 4 years had 0 issues.....its now put back together in my buddies impala ready to start another life.......

as for the 4 bolt...unless your making in excess of 500hp and 7000rpm id be ok with the 2 bolt.......

Quick Reply: Stock crank and 2 bolt mains.