LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need lt4 mod help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need lt4 mod help

Ive got a 97 z28 with a lifter with a flat spot on the roller. I don't have a clue how it happened, it isnt froze up. I figure Ive got to replace the cam and lifters now and I want to go back with an LT4 hot cam or CC503. Ive been looking at parts and all the hot cams Ive seen are for up to a 95. Do they make one for a 97 if so anybody got some part numbers. also gonna need new valve springs and roller rockers (part numbers too). Gonna run with stock heads. Car has LT headers and 3" exhaust with Y pipe. Also has cold air intake. All suggestions welcome. thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you purchase the LT4 hotcam kit, it will fit any 92-97 LT1/4 motor. I think the difference in year models was the dowel on the cam due to the difference in opti's. I'm not sure and I may be wrong as it's been years since I've tinkered with an LT motor. I use to run a hot cam kit in my 94 Z28 and loved it. It was great for a DD. I put over 30k miles on it. If you buy the kit it comes with the cam, springs, retainers, seats and roller rockers if I'm not mistaken and it's perfectly priced if on a budget. I'm sure others will tell you not ot get it but do as you please. It worked great for me and I enjoyed the sound, power and driveability so much I've considered putting one in my 99 SS. But to answer your question, yes the hotcam will work just fine in your 97. The part numbe for the kit is 12480002 and here is a place you can find it:

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/12480002

Throw in a new set of lifters and pushrods and your set. When I installed mine I just reused my push rods and lifters but they were in good shape and didn't make any noise. Plus if you go with a cam as small as the ones your looking at it will be easy on the valvetrain so you won't have to worry about wearing out valve springs or damaging valve guides and such. Well good luck and hope you get it all sorted out.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Launching!

I have a lt4 hot cam with 16,000 miles on it for sale pm me I'm selling it dirt cheap
Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Teching In

pm sent
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
If you purchase the LT4 hotcam kit, it will fit any 92-97 LT1/4 motor. I think the difference in year models was the dowel on the cam due to the difference in opti's. I'm not sure and I may be wrong as it's been years since I've tinkered with an LT motor. I use to run a hot cam kit in my 94 Z28 and loved it. It was great for a DD. I put over 30k miles on it. If you buy the kit it comes with the cam, springs, retainers, seats and roller rockers if I'm not mistaken and it's perfectly priced if on a budget. I'm sure others will tell you not ot get it but do as you please. It worked great for me and I enjoyed the sound, power and driveability so much I've considered putting one in my 99 SS. But to answer your question, yes the hotcam will work just fine in your 97. The part numbe for the kit is 12480002 and here is a place you can find it:

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/12480002

Throw in a new set of lifters and pushrods and your set. When I installed mine I just reused my push rods and lifters but they were in good shape and didn't make any noise. Plus if you go with a cam as small as the ones your looking at it will be easy on the valvetrain so you won't have to worry about wearing out valve springs or damaging valve guides and such. Well good luck and hope you get it all sorted out.
Reading on the cam in this kit it says it has a fuel pump lobe. will that have any effect in my 97 that doesn't use this lobe.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

No it won't, it's just there for people who use this cam in Gen I roller small blocks to run mechanical fuel pumps.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Aight thanks to xrambbc I got an LT4 cam on the way. I need suggestions on some 1.6 roller rockers. If they will clear the valve covers and the stock heads have enough room for the valves to move that much
Also need suggestions on valve springs.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crazyace85
Aight thanks to xrambbc I got an LT4 cam on the way. I need suggestions on some 1.6 roller rockers. If they will clear the valve covers and the stock heads have enough room for the valves to move that much
Also need suggestions on valve springs.
Comp Pro Mag Ultras are good and fit under the stock valve covers with a little bit of trimming which isn't a big deal. Don't cheap out on roller rockers. The LT4 springs are OK if you don't plan on really spinning that high but a better set of springs would be good insurance.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts

The PAC-1212x is an upgraded LT4 spring with higher rates and all around better quality.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Are there any roller rockers that will fit without trimming the valve covers. I've seen what will happen when the RR's hit the gave covers and I'd rather not take the chance.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crazyace85
Are there any roller rockers that will fit without trimming the valve covers. I've seen what will happen when the RR's hit the gave covers and I'd rather not take the chance.
I'm not aware of any, I'm pretty sure the Pro Mags are your best bet. The trimming is only on the braces inside the VC's. It will literally only take you less than an hour to do it.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Anyone have picture of what needs to be trimmed on the valve covers to fit the pro mags

Quick Reply: need lt4 mod help