LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock exhaust

Well i have been really frustrated with the flowmaster on my car lately. The loudness, the constant DRONE of it is TERRIBLE. The whole back Storage area of the car is filled with blankets and old pillows. The muffler is wraped with header wrap. The drone is really making my stereo system very hard to hear on the freeway.
This weekend i drove an LS car and the stock muffler was really refreshing. Actually to my ears sounded pretty good. Am i insane to think this? I cant take the flowmaster anymore. We aren't talking performance here, I know everyone has there own idea on the chokemaster as far as horsepower! So to the guys that put some Dynomat in the rear area, how much did it help? Any suggestions on mufflers WITHOUT the drone!!! How would an LS muffler sound with the 503 cam? Are the LS mufflers the same as the LT? Thanks. DRONED OUT!!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do some insulation and a different muffler. I've heard the hooker mufflers aren't too bad but my personal preference is Magnaflow. With LT's and no cats I still have no drone. It's a nice and crisp sound with a nasty bark when you blip the gas.

Do a search on google for home depot insulation in cars or something similar to that. It is cheap and it works.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard about the home improvement stores insulation in the stereo section of LS tech. There are people that say it works, can do a whole car for less than a hundred bucks. That may be a project while the car is put up for the winter. Anyone use this insulation? How much weight did it add?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's weird I have a stock catback with pacesetter LT/ stock y w/gutted cats/ and a flowmaster and have zero drone. I love the sound Its nice and mellow @ cruise and sounds great @ WOT but i bought a 3" magnaflow and switching it out soon just for my personal performance beliefs.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both the Hooker Aerochamber and Magnaflow catbacks offer a nice tolerable tone without much drone.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1_2buku
That's weird I have a stock catback with pacesetter LT/ stock y w/gutted cats/ and a flowmaster and have zero drone. I love the sound Its nice and mellow @ cruise and sounds great @ WOT but i bought a 3" magnaflow and switching it out soon just for my personal performance beliefs.
X2 What are you running for a exhaust system? I have SLP mids, cutout in place of the cat, stock intermediate pipe with a flowmaster and have no drone issues.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
I have heard about the home improvement stores insulation in the stereo section of LS tech. There are people that say it works, can do a whole car for less than a hundred bucks. That may be a project while the car is put up for the winter. Anyone use this insulation? How much weight did it add?
My friend put it in his ta. I don't remember exactly how much it weighed, but it wasn't too much. I want to say less than ten pounds total. He did the rear trunk area and the doors.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Launching!

A stock exhaust with an aftermarket muffler drives me insane.. Some long tube headers make for less drone and more of a clean sound I've cot mine paired up with a set of thrush glass packs, very clean, nice low rumble at an idle, really cracks when you open it up.. It's all a matter of how much money you want to put into it though
Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
Well i have been really frustrated with the flowmaster on my car lately. The loudness, the constant DRONE of it is TERRIBLE. The whole back Storage area of the car is filled with blankets and old pillows. The muffler is wraped with header wrap. The drone is really making my stereo system very hard to hear on the freeway.
This weekend i drove an LS car and the stock muffler was really refreshing. Actually to my ears sounded pretty good. Am i insane to think this? I cant take the flowmaster anymore. We aren't talking performance here, I know everyone has there own idea on the chokemaster as far as horsepower! So to the guys that put some Dynomat in the rear area, how much did it help? Any suggestions on mufflers WITHOUT the drone!!! How would an LS muffler sound with the 503 cam? Are the LS mufflers the same as the LT? Thanks. DRONED OUT!!!!
The LS1 F-body's muffler is much larger than the LT1s to support more horsepower.

I have a Dynomax welded Ultra-flow in the stock I-pipe. It is a 3" single in/single out. I went with because I was told it was quieter than any of the other comparable aftermarket mufflers which is true and no drone.

It also flows very well. I've run 123 MPH in the 1/4mile through it. Opening the cutout before the muffler does not improve ET or MPH.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have mac mids with Ory no cat into 80 series flowmaster. The bump in compression with .026 head gaskets i
IMO made the tone deeper than it was before. The freeway around here was paved in the slow lane with new asphalt. So sometimes i drive in that lane to just see how much road noise there is in my car. OMFG there is a ton from the tires, but i get to here the exhaust. I get a ton of compliments about how the car sounds, all the time. But after driving the LS car and blipping the throttle a bunch i really like it. I think i gonna sound deaden the entire interior before i make a change. Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is in the for sale section with a sound clip video
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

highway speed + radio = ringing ears.. so I dont use my radio over 55
isn't their a type of sound deadener designed specifically for road noise that would work better for him than stereo insulation? another vote for a hooker too, my friend had one on his L98, sounded good and was pretty mellow until you opened it up.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for the Hooker, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to try a Dynomax Ultra Flo with 3" single in/dual 3" outlets in the stock crossflow configuration soon. Heard it flows excellent, sounds very similar to the Hooker or Magnaflow....and having 3" tailpipes sounds nice. I'm sure there is zero gain vs. 2.5" tailpipes, but I still wanna do it. lol
Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want a chambered muffler like the Hooker.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

K, i will look at some utube sound clips.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

This chart is for mustangs, but it kinda gives you an idea on how flowmasters stack up against other exhaust brands.

Even though flowmasters sound pretty good, they do a terrible job with keeping the sound outside of the car. You should try a different exhaust instead of insulating the inside more than it already is.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

I've had every exhaust available for f bodies, literally every cat back except for gmmg... It all depends on the volume and sound u want, but for less drone your best options are magnaflow, hooker, dynomax, or a dual dual cat back. Dual dual sounds real nice and supports a lot of hp. Dynomax even the mufflers flow great and sound decent, not loud though. Hookers my favorite sound wise.

When u build the motor you're getting into a Whole different ball game though, the sound differences are harder to tell apart and it really comes down to volume. My 383 cars got a cc306 cam and is just obnoxiously loud... I put a magnaflow on it thinking it would make it MUCH quieter but its still crazy. If I could do it all over again I would just run the stock catback with a cutout.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Definitely look into the Hooker Aerochamber, I had it on my old LT1 and it sounded amazing cruising around and WOT.

Here's some small revs:

And a burnout:
Old 10-07-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Definitely look into the Hooker Aerochamber, I had it on my old LT1 and it sounded amazing cruising around and WOT.

Here's some small revs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEl-z...1&feature=plcp

And a burnout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eihOm...0&feature=plcp
I have this entire set up just laying around if the OP was closer i would sell it for dirt cheap
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No drone with my 2otl. And a stock catback with longtubes is by far the worst sounding exhaust you could run.

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust