LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car suddenly does not want to crank?? Ive tried everything.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please just tell me how. I'm not worried about safety right now. I'm worried about getting the car running. I highly doubt its hydro locked lol.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Your apparent inexperience is hampering your troubleshooting. If you don't know how things work, that makes it hard to figure things out. Plus, safety is even more important when you don't know what you are doing. Ignorance can injure or kill.

There are two connections to the starter (if you have another wire on there, it is not supposed to be there). One is the positive battery cable, the other is the purple wire that engages the starter via the key. Jumping it is merely momentarily connecting those two posts together. They make a special switch with some alligator clips on it called a remote starter switch. You connect the two clips to the two posts I mentioned and press the button. That bypasses all other circuitry (including safety measures) and engages the starter.

The same thing can be done by the "junkyard method" by using an old screwdriver to bridge the two terminals together. Sparks will fly and it will scare you the first time you do it, but the starter should crank as long as the terminals are bridged together.

If this works, your positive connection is likely ok, but you are not getting +12v on the purple wire when you turn the key. There are a lot of things in between the key and the starter and there are schematics on my website showing what is involved (may not be helpful, if you don't know what you are looking at), but, that is what you use to trace and troubleshoot.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Is it hard to get at the ignition switch without pulling the entire column? I think I'm gonna try that next.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseythefalcon
Is it hard to get at the ignition switch without pulling the entire column? I think I'm gonna try that next.
You just have to pull of the 2 13MM nuts underneath the column and it should lower enough to get to.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

You have not proved a need to go there, yet. There is a complete guide for replacing the ignition switch on my website, should you need it. I'd spend some time troubleshooting, though, instead of disregarding other advice.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

So try bridging the starter and hold the screwdriver there while a friend attempts to crank it?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Also I'm not seeing a purple wire. The power is connected to the starter and that's it. That's the only wire connected to the starter.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also I'm not seeing a purple wire. The power is connected to the starter and that's it. That's the only wire connected to the starter.
That would be the issue then I would think... time to find the missing wire.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe the purple wire broke off, is the lug still on the starter solenoid for it?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Have you tried putting the transmission in Nuetral and attempting to start it? Your gear select cable will not allow it to start if its not adjusted properly. Also 90% of the time you will hear at least a click in the starter if it bad or if the motor is locked. If no click good chance your not getting power to starter.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Victory!!!! It was the wire from the key not being connected lol it was way up over the tranny
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

One last quick question. This has been happening for about a week or so. After driving there will be smoking coming from the passenger header area. It smells almost like oil burning but I know its not its coming from under the headers about 6 inches from the block. I'm thinking power steering fluid being blown on the headers..it smells like a mix of burning oil and brakes.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

So try bridging the starter and hold the screwdriver there while a friend attempts to crank it?
No. See, that is the problem. You need some knowledge on how this stuff works. Plus, it seems you did not thoroughly read what I posted. I explained that bridging the terminals bypasses everything to do with the key. When you bridge the terminals, the starter cranks.

Victory!!!! It was the wire from the key not being connected lol it was way up over the tranny
At least you were able to muddle through it.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Thank you very much man. I'm young (20 years old) and have a lot to learn still haha.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you very much man. I'm young (20 years old) and have a lot to learn still haha.
I figured this out fast and its helped me alot.... shbox is the google of lt1s, cause if he doesn't know the answer off hand, you can be sure he has a diagram waiting.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

It's the LT1 Jesus!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Does burning power steering fluid smell like burning oil and brakes?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Teching In

I just came through a very similiar issue. My car wouldn't turnover. I checked the clutch safety switch and it seemed good, checked the battery etc. My "starter enable" line had no voltage coming to it. After tearing apart the glove box dash and replacing the theft deterrent relay, I was ready to take it to a dealer. On one last try, I held the key in start and kind of had a little temper tantrum with the clutch....boom she fired right up. Turns out, the connector pins inside the clutch safety switch had kind of worn / bent over time such that they weren't making good contact. 10 min fix, that took me 1.5 weeks worth of troubleshooting to fix. Don't give up!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z2810inch
I just came through a very similiar issue. My car wouldn't turnover. I checked the clutch safety switch and it seemed good, checked the battery etc. My "starter enable" line had no voltage coming to it. After tearing apart the glove box dash and replacing the theft deterrent relay, I was ready to take it to a dealer. On one last try, I held the key in start and kind of had a little temper tantrum with the clutch....boom she fired right up. Turns out, the connector pins inside the clutch safety switch had kind of worn / bent over time such that they weren't making good contact. 10 min fix, that took me 1.5 weeks worth of troubleshooting to fix. Don't give up!
The problem was fixed back in post #31.

Quick Reply: Car suddenly does not want to crank?? Ive tried everything.