LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Hp questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012 | 01:11 PM

I have a 93 Camaro Z28 with the LT1. As far as i know everything is stock. The cooling fans come on after about 5 mins of running the engine. Then never shut off. Unless I shut the key off. I replaced the sensor by the water pump and that didnt help. Theres another sensor bettwen the first and third spark plug but i think that is for temp reading only. I think that is whats keeping my heat from getting hot its just blowing warm
Old 10-15-2012 | 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by john301
I have a 93 Camaro Z28 with the LT1. As far as i know everything is stock. The cooling fans come on after about 5 mins of running the engine. Then never shut off. Unless I shut the key off. I replaced the sensor by the water pump and that didnt help. Theres another sensor bettwen the first and third spark plug but i think that is for temp reading only. I think that is whats keeping my heat from getting hot its just blowing warm
Did I miss something?
Old 10-15-2012 | 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
Did I miss something?
I would say this could be the best thread hijack ever.
Old 10-15-2012 | 06:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by john301
aye mate, get your own thread. haha. No clue what your problem is honestly.
Old 10-15-2012 | 06:12 PM
Teching In

Anyways I should have around 3k by the time I get to rebuilding the motor. From what I've read here I think my best bet would be to do the new piston and rod set up, have the motor bored and cleaned, get a new cam from AI. I'm just confused as to weather go to AI for heads or if I could just get away with porting my heads and redoing all the rockers and springs push rods ect. I do have a m6 would I need to do anything behind the fly to support 400 at the wheels? Like will the diff and everything hold up or is it possible to twist a drive shaft (I'm not sure hence why I'm asking).

For the fuel system what fuel pump would I need to run? Would bigger injectors be needed or would a stock set up be able to fuel the beast? Any bigger lines ect?

Is there anything else I'm missing? Maybe cooling ect?
Old 10-16-2012 | 05:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

$3k will not be enough to do heads/cam/bottom end - not even close. If all you have to spend is $3k then I'd do this:

Reuse and recondition stock crank
Reuse and recondition stock rods
Pick up a good forged piston (Mahle, etc.)
AI cam kit + bolt-ons. The heads alone will eat up $2000 of your budget so you can see that's out of the question at this point.

That will get you an easy 350+whp.

Stock driveshaft will easily handle the power.
Aftermarket fuel pump (Walbro 255) is all you need for the fuel system. No need for bigger lines, regulator, etc.

Of course all of this is considering you don't do any suspension.

Lots of routes you could take here.
Old 10-25-2012 | 07:14 PM
On The Tree

I to wld have to agree w all the members on here i just got done spending the better part of 7k on a forged 383 prob closer to 8k this is just block and machining and labor no fuel pump no tb no heads no cam no intake, now take that 8k and do a modest 355 w a nice h/c/i package wldve bn money much btr spent. Please to these guys i wish i did.

Quick Reply: Lt1 Hp questions