LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Knock retard

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock retard

Was screwing with my car today and found something interesting. It has Pacesetter long tube headers and it registers knocks. The timing at 3500 RPM is at 41 degrees. (Mail order tune) I'm thinking the guy tried to offset the knock retard with more timing. Is that a reasonable assumption? I'm getting knocks at idle so I doubt the timing is really making it knock.

What I'd like to do is de-sense or kill the knock sensor/count and lower the timing to something more reasonable. Just sitting in the garage it retarded 3 degrees after a while. Not enough but who knows what happens when it does a burn out.

Also found a intermittent left side O2 sensor. Probably a wire melted to the header or a loose connection.

I wasted half the day trying to get TunePro RT to see the interface. Didn't happen and even if it did it will take me a few days to figure out Winflash. So I'm hunting for recommendations on a EASY program to do this. My laptop has Vista and Microsoft built the worst security anyone could possibly dream up. My old laptop had XP in it but my OT race car vibrated it off a folding chair and killed it. BTW: FreeScan and Datamaster both work, but TunePro RT just can't see the interface?

Any ideas?

Al 95 Z28 LT4 knock module, almost stock engine with a Lunati cam. Got a 12.1 out of it but now it wants to run 12.3 to 12.4. My 60 foots suck, but that a problem for a different week.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

You can use Tunercats for 30 days free. Is your knock sensor properly torqued ?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
You can use Tunercats for 30 days free. Is your knock sensor properly torqued ?
Yes, the problem is the headers. Had to raise the engine 3/8 of an inch on both sides and in the rear to get the knock count down. Right side header was tapping the body. I'm starting to think I should look at the timing with the engine against the converter. Thinking the PCM is adding what was vacuum advance. Need to move the car out of the garage/gas chamber first.

I'll try Tunercats, if I can get it to work. Things are so much easier with a regular distributor and a Holley carb

Is this the correct forum for this question?

Al 95 Z28
Old 10-18-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Well color me stumped. Screwed around with TunePro RT for another hour and a half. No way can I get it to connect with the car. The "test for valid interface using settings" test says it's working. Free Scan reads perfectly, all I get in TunePro is it can't find the hardware. One thing that's different, Free Scan says the interface is on port 5, TunePro says it's on 3. But I'm sure that's a red herring.

I did everything in the tutorial. Everything works as stated except it can't see the PCM??

One other thing, in the EE.xdf file, the spark tables are not at all like the screen shot in the tutorial. The numbers are all over the place. I downloaded the file three times just to see if I screwed something up. All exactly the same.

Al 95 Z28
Old 10-18-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

change the port on tunerpro, to 5, and always use that port unless you like changing the config around every time you use a different usb plug in.

for some more tunerpro help and files to be found...http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php

there's a lot of tunerpro info there.

http://www.monodax.com/forums/forums.php

for tunercats... to get that to work... the install file has to be run as windows XP compatability mode... it's on their website I believe.

for the timing issue... try this tune I attached out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
mycarsbolton.zip (55.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by lt1slowz28; 10-18-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lt1slowz28
change the port on tunerpro, to 5, and always use that port unless you like changing the config around every time you use a different usb plug in.
I tried that and TunePro won't see the interface. Has to be on 3 to see it? Datamaster and FreeScan both see it on port 5. Another anomaly is the laptop has only one USB port. I'm tempted to drag out my old XP desktop and try TunePro on it.

Thanks for the help. I'm getting nowhere, going to attack the O2 sensor problem.

Al 95 Z28, TH400, Dana 60S, stock engine with a cam and roller rockers.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

not sure why the computer isn't seeing the port correctly. That skill has left me many years ago.

you aren't using all three programs or any combination at the same time are you? might be conflicts if they tried to all access the same data at once.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Persistence pays. Got Tunerpro RT working today. Now to figure out what to do next

Al 95 Z28
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Make all Low octain tables zero
Old 10-23-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lt1slowz28

for some more tunerpro help and files to be found...http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php

there's a lot of tunerpro info there.

http://www.monodax.com/forums/forums.php

for tunercats... to get that to work... the install file has to be run as windows XP compatability mode... it's on their website I believe.

for the timing issue... try this tune I attached out.
Many thanks for the links.

Al 95 Z28
Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Are you by chance running Vista ?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by djjab57
Are you by chance running Vista ?
Exactly.