LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Dunno, but it would not hurt to do a complete flush. Doing so will let you then run the cheaper green coolant without worry.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I started only buying the yellow mix with anything stuff.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well since mixed dex cool and prestone I should flush it anyway. what if its not holding 15psi? does that mean bad coolant? or a leak? the exhaust isn't smoking differently than it usually does.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Launching!

the oil is a nice brown color like it should be. didn't see any milky color in it or around the oil cap.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rg501
well since mixed dex cool and prestone I should flush it anyway. what if its not holding 15psi? does that mean bad coolant? or a leak? the exhaust isn't smoking differently than it usually does.

If it's not holding the pressure (and it's simple to use that testing tool) you have a leak and coolant going somewhere. Worn hose clamp, break in a gasket, or just a slow bleed that could also be letting air in in the system. Just having pressure on the cooling system allowed me to see a lose hose clamp on the water pump with a slow drip

You should flush it as stated since you mixed the two and then never worry about using dex-cool again, not needed.

How does the car usually smoke? Just on start-up, under acceleration?
I believe it's blue tint smoke burning oil,
white is coolant usually meaning you have a leak in the gasket,
and black is fuel burning.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The cooling system should hold 18psi, not 15psi.

Also I don't see anywhere in this thread you mentioning the radiator cap being good or bad. A bad cap can cause overheating problems.

Pressurize the system - see what happens.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The cooling system should hold 18psi, not 15psi.

Also I don't see anywhere in this thread you mentioning the radiator cap being good or bad. A bad cap can cause overheating problems.

Pressurize the system - see what happens.
My bad, 18 psi. But if it doesn't hold 15 it wont hold 18
Also the pressure test can't rule out a faulty cap since that's how you run the test, cap off. It's a cheap fix/check and if it's original or never replaced since you've had it not a bad idea. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
If it's not holding the pressure (and it's simple to use that testing tool) you have a leak and coolant going somewhere. Worn hose clamp, break in a gasket, or just a slow bleed that could also be letting air in in the system. Just having pressure on the cooling system allowed me to see a lose hose clamp on the water pump with a slow drip

You should flush it as stated since you mixed the two and then never worry about using dex-cool again, not needed.

How does the car usually smoke? Just on start-up, under acceleration?
I believe it's blue tint smoke burning oil,
white is coolant usually meaning you have a leak in the gasket,
and black is fuel burning.
well when it's cold outside and I first start it up in the morning, it's whiteish, but once the car warms up, it's clear. if it was leaking, it would be white all the time?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Doing a coolant pressure test will tell you whether or not there is a leak in the cooling system whether it be internal or external. I'd pull the plugs before doing the test. Rent a pressure tester at any autoparts store and put 18psi in the system and see how long it takes for the pressure to bleed off, if it does at all. If pressure does bleed off then do the test a few times, start checking the engine to see if there are signs of coolant anywhere. If not, rotate the engine by hand and see if coolant leaks out of any of the spark plug holes. The pressure checker also has an adapter to test how much pressure the cap can hold.
A blown head gasket doesn't necessarily mean coolant will be seen through the exhaust depending on how bad the gasket is blown. Same with oil. The gasket may not be bad enough to leak coolant into the oil. That's why you should do the test a few times if it is indeed bleeding down. That way there should be enough coolant pooled somewhere to make spotting it a lot easier.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rg501
well when it's cold outside and I first start it up in the morning, it's whiteish, but once the car warms up, it's clear. if it was leaking, it would be white all the time?
Possibly if it's bad but not a certainty. Sounds like your best bet is still to pressurize the system see what that tells you. SSRRR gave a great explanation on how to use that test if you can't visibly see anything right away.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

i had those exact same symthoms and it was a bad T-stat for me

Quick Reply: Bad Water Pump?