LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The best way to run a true dual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best way to run a true dual?

I'm currently dumping em out the side in front of the wheels.

I've always wanted to do a complete set up and i Decided to do little searching on keeping the true dual all the way out (finnally fill out those hollow spots in my bumper )

Regardless, this is what I found.. Seems to be the easiest and most direct rout

http://xhausted.com/

Does raise some clearance questions though
Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldnt be expecting to lower your car anytime soon
Old 11-08-2012, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

On my 396 stroked baby, I had kooks 1-7/8" ss lts with true duals into a dynomax ss x pipe and after ran into dual dynomax race mufflers with angled dumps beside the driveshaft about 2' apart or so. Ran great! You'll find tons of good setups on here. I have some pics somewhere I'll dig up and post if you like.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive got an idea in my head that will become reality in the next year or so. My Mac mids into their y-pipe but just before the merge, I'll cut and weld a magnaflow x-pipe (below the passenger hump). From there, into a pair of Walker mandrel bent replacement v6 intermediate (2.5") pipes for a single cat fbody. Instead of side-by-side, I'll slightly stack them so they'll tuck farther into the tranny tunnel. I know some trimming/welding will be needed but they should both be able to go over the axle side by side. I'll have a pair of 18" sweet thunders in the I-pipes as well as a pair in the normal muffler location. After them, a 90deg bend on one out the driver side and a 180 followed by a 90 out the passenger side (like the gmmg).

That said, I removed this system from a buddy's car. 3", dual cutouts, into a Y, into a dual/dual. Quiet as stock with cutouts closed, hell unleashed when opened, better ground clearance than factory

Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

LOL at all those pics of running pipe under the rear axle. What people will do to shortcut a proper install is incredible.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
LOL at all those pics of running pipe under the rear axle. What people will do to shortcut a proper install is incredible.
What exactly is wrong and improper with running them under the axle? I ran duals under the axle for a few years on a lowered car and never once scraped the pipes that run under the axle. No sharp bends to impede flow, no clearance problems by running them over the axle, and I didn't have to spend $200 to change the handling of my car with a panhard relocation kit.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
What exactly is wrong and improper with running them under the axle? I ran duals under the axle for a few years on a lowered car and never once scraped the pipes that run under the axle. No sharp bends to impede flow, no clearance problems by running them over the axle, and I didn't have to spend $200 to change the handling of my car with a panhard relocation kit.
Have you ever seen a car come from the factory that way? Most cars need clearance for the suspension elongate over bumps and dips. The exhaust pipes would hamper that and could even be damaged. Most cars you could not even jack up the body without them clashing. IDK, it just seems like a ridiculous thing to do, considering how things are engineered to work on a car. MHO.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything in the xhausted link looks to have ground clearance issues and I would never run mufflers under the floorboards for that very reason.

When I designed my TDs, I decided that they had to tuck up high and the muffler had to go in the stock location. I did not want to look at my car from a distance and see pipes under it. Also the pipes would have to go over the axle even and through the PHB pinch even though it would be a huge PITA. Personally I don't like pipes running under the axle, just looks ghetto-fab to me.

See the link below to pics of my setup:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...cs-inside.html
Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

One of my favorite setup's. its over the axle too. I would also recommend some BMR adjustable panhard relocation brackets.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
One of my favorite setup's. its over the axle too. I would also recommend some BMR adjustable panhard relocation brackets.

Who makes that or is it a custom piece?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever seen a car come from the factory that way? Most cars need clearance for the suspension elongate over bumps and dips. The exhaust pipes would hamper that and could even be damaged. Most cars you could not even jack up the body without them clashing. IDK, it just seems like a ridiculous thing to do, considering how things are engineered to work on a car. MHO.
If you're rear axle is at 100% free length while driving down the road you have bigger issues to worry about than the axle hitting the exhaust. My axle would drop about 95% of the way down before it would rest on the pipes with no issues while jacking up the car. I scrape the hell out of my headers and y-pipe/x-pipe but never once scraped the mufflers or the piping under the axle on my duals.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I guess some people can get away with it. To me, it just seems so illogical from an engineering standpoint.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Laziness breeds innovation. True story.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

I guess some people can get away with it. To me, it just seems so illogical from an engineering standpoint.
Were is the "Like" button
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VinR1
That said, I removed this system from a buddy's car. 3", dual cutouts, into a Y, into a dual/dual. Quiet as stock with cutouts closed, hell unleashed when opened, better ground clearance than factory

I WILL be building that system in the future. I would rather have that (with e-cutouts) than the new $$$$$ Kooks true duals.
Project Bad A$$ True Duals is also awesome, but clearly out of my league.

As far as the under axle TD's being ghetto. I kinda agree, but a parts car I bought has 2.5" duals (with bullets) ran under the axle with no X or H pipe. It looks to have alot more clearance than the 3" Y pipe and single exhaust that's on my car now. The lowest point is at the collectors, which would be the same height no matter what exhaust followed. I'll probably give them a try since they are FREE. Forgot to mention that they show no signs of bad scraping (unlike my Y pipe that is practically "D" shaped now.)
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Launching!

From what I was reading, everyone who has the under the axel set up claims to have no real clearance problems and as you guys are saying.. The collectors are the lowest point..

Yeah, it does seem a little rediculess to me too, but I'm coming from a standpoint of I don't want the headache of cramming duals over the axel, buying relocation brakets, and adjusting adjusting adjusting to get rid of rattles (I HATE rattles)

The way I see it.. Yeah, it does seem kind of lazy.. But if it works, call me lazy

Quick Reply: The best way to run a true dual?