Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

How to replace Ignition Coil

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace Ignition Coil

So like a newb I ordered new wires, and coil. I got the drivers plugs done and all I have to say it was a pain in the *** especially for #4. The one that has a metal cover connected to the block running right under the exhaust manifold. Luckily after 20 mins of fighting with #4 I finally had to rip the wire to get the thing out of that carrier thing. Got #4 plugged in but having a hard time getting the new wire back into that thing(I think some of the Veteran LT1 guys know what im talking about) Its sticking out and barely hitting the manifold. after another 20 mins I had to put a wire cover on that wire so it doesnt melt. The passenger side I havent even attempted to replace because its nearly impossible to replace for the amount of room there is. So im taking it to a friend of mine to get it finished. Now on to my question.

How do you take the old coil off its bracket?

It seems like theres 2 odd looking type screws that holds the coil on the bracket thing. I love LT1's but there a pain in the *** to work on as im finding out The new MSD coil I ordered from Summit came with a few screws and there instructions are vague. Any Ideas? As Ive said Replaced drivers side and still backfiring.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Has the coil never been replaced on this car? If it's the original I'm pretty sure those are rivets, not fasteners, which means its time to get out the drill.

Edit: http://shbox.com/coil/coil.html
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you have the coil off? Two bolts hold the coil and bracket to the car.

you should have this http://home.comcast.net/~rpperformance/blaster.jpg
in your hand. then take the rivets out.

Like Mike. said those are rivets and you can drill them or do what I did and take a hammer and screw driver to the rivet head, then just beat the coil with the hammer (you're replacing it anyway) until it pops off honestly the coils are a pretty simple swap from here on out because you'll have screws. The new one should have came with what you need to reattach the bracket. That's how it's always been for me.

Good luck.

Last edited by 02v8ta; 11-28-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys now how do I put #4 wire completely in the metal casing that is on the block? I tried using a flat head to shove it in there and it doesnt want to go anywhere. I dont want the wire to burn on the manifold. Is there a diagram on shbox on how to replace all the wires?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Thanks guys now how do I put #4 wire completely in the metal casing that is on the block? I tried using a flat head to shove it in there and it doesnt want to go anywhere. I dont want the wire to burn on the manifold. Is there a diagram on shbox on how to replace all the wires?
Nothing on Shbox that I can see for that, and I don't remember off the top of my head. When all else fails zip tie it to something safe and secure. I ditched the stock route a long time ago.

Edit: Just looked at the my old rails, are you sure you're not missing one of the little plastic clamps?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

You remove the metal shield and route the wire through. The shield is made for stock diameter wires. IIRC, you have to remove the front bolt and the rear/middle bolt can be loosened and the shield will slide up and off. BTW, that is #7 cylinder. #4 is on the other side of the engine.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
You remove the metal shield and route the wire through. The shield is made for stock diameter wires. IIRC, you have to remove the front bolt and the rear/middle bolt can be loosened and the shield will slide up and off. BTW, that is #7 cylinder. #4 is on the other side of the engine.
Thanks but when you get a chance make a post on your site on how to replace the wires. Passengers side is nearly impossible.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks but when you get a chance make a post on your site on how to replace the wires. Passengers side is nearly impossible.
Stock exhaust manifolds?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Veteran

I purposely don't have that on my site, because there are so many ways people like to do it and one way does not work for everyone. I've seen countless threads over the years on how people did theirs. Passenger side is tedious. I did mine one wire at a time to route them in the factory locations.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
I purposely don't have that on my site, because there are so many ways people like to do it and one way does not work for everyone. I've seen countless threads over the years on how people did theirs. Passenger side is tedious. I did mine one wire at a time to route them in the factory locations.

Well when you get some time can you make a post for the most cliche or stock way of doing it for the future. Im talking about routing the way the factory routed it. Even though I didnt do mine people with the same problem in the future will be wondering and making LS1tech posts "How to replace spark plug wires" which will be pointless unless some real pictures and instructions will be offered. I did my drivers side 1 at a time also to not get the wires in the wrong plug. I know some people like to route theres on the valve covers and stuff but that would require additional miscellaneous to do so. Thanks for the help with the coil though
Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

It boils down to this...you can see where the wires need to go (mostly, LOL) and you just maneuver yourself and manipulate the wires to get them in there. As soon as I say to do it this way, someone will say his arm won't fit in that space (which certainly can be true on the passenger side) or there is some other issue. There is no real magic trick to doing them. You just take your time, look over what you have and do it.

I've spent many years reading posts about plug wire installs and how people managed to to them. Some people take off lots of parts in the way, some don't. My consensus is to let the individual exercise his own wisdom on how to get the job done. That's one reason I probably won't have a write-up on my website. The other is I am not about to go out and change my plug wires just so I can take pics and do a write-up.

I could recommend pulling the engine and doing them. Not many people would want to do that, but my engine was already out the last time I did plug wires.

Quick Reply: How to replace Ignition Coil