LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New to forum 96 lt1 misfiring and backfiring help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New to forum 96 lt1 misfiring and backfiring help!!!!

My camaro is misfiring and backfiring check engine light is flashing i took it to the shop they charged me $750 replaced ignition wires spark plugs cleaned the throttle body fuel injection flush i have a brand new MAF. And im still get the same problem its like i never took it to the shop then he tells me to get the distributor replaced thats another $800 im stuck on what to do help me?' Plz
Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like the shop is just blindly guessing. Any other symptoms besides flashing light. I WOULD NOT drive that car with the ses light flashing. Does it do it steady or on start up only ? Few things could make it misfire that bad and you described no other problems or history of the car. Any work done to the car before this issue or just outta the blue? Mixed up spark plug wires. Burnt wires. Really bad opti. Oil getting through the pistons. Coolant getting where it shouldn't. Hard to pin point with little info. I wouldn't take it to that shop again though did they test for anything first.... Also your location ?

Last thing and some people including you may strongly disagree but if you don't have any friends or yourself mechanically inclined a dealership will at least know what to fix then proceed to over charge you for it. That shop either hates you or is clueless.

Last edited by 02v8ta; 11-29-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

the Opti is a likely suspect. what codes did the shop who orked on it say you had?

go buy a $40 obd2 code reader at harbor freight and see wtf the code is. if you are not mechanically inclined to do the work yourself than find another shop
Old 11-30-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my money on a couple switched plug wires. The shop probably replaced them without making sure they were correct to the opti.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
I have my money on a couple switched plug wires. The shop probably replaced them without making sure they were correct to the opti.
Very likely cause but if the misfire was before any work done then that's not the original problem.

If the op can shed some more details that'd help.

Quick Reply: New to forum 96 lt1 misfiring and backfiring help!!!!