LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dropped a washer in oil pan need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped a washer in oil pan need help

Hi I'm new to this site but was wondering if anyone could help. I have a 1996 z28 and was changing out the old oil sensor that is located on the oil pan. On the end of the sensor there is a little white tip held on by a very small very thin washer, when I removed the sensor that little washer fell off. I tried fishing for it with a magnet but had no luck. I don't have an engine hoist so I can take the oil pan off but I was wondering if I could leave the washer and if you think it would be okay? Thank you!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Eh, I'd imagine you'd be alright, but I really don't know forsure whether or not you could end up plugging your pick up on the oil pump..

I'm sure someone who knows a little more will chime in
Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would much rather have the peace of mind knowing that there aren't any foreign objects floating around in the oil pan. I would really dedicate sometime to fishing out that washer. The last thing you need is something obstructing oil flow in your motor. I would recommend trying to drain the oil and it might just come out with the oil. And if you don't see it come out, you can fish it out through the drain plug hole too. If you know anyone with a borescope, you can use it to "see" in the oil pan and get a better idea where it ended up. It can't have gotten too far. Hope I gave you a few ideas.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Im not sure but are we sure its metal ? That sensor is just hard plastic
Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 PM

I think I got a picture of it on here now. This is on the very end of the sensor holding the white piece on. This is the washer from the new sensor, It's as thin as a sheet of paper and its pretty flimsy which is probably why it fell off in the first place. I don't know of anyone with a borescope but I'm going to ask a few friends if they might have one. For right now ill keep fishing for it. Thank you so much! I already love this site, everyone is so helpful and nice!
Attached Thumbnails Dropped a washer in oil pan need help-image.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just occurred to me by looking at your picture but that looks more like a stop clip than a washer. I call it a stop clip as I haven't heard it called anything else. Now if my suspicion is correct, a magnet won't pick it up because its probably zinc or tin. I doubt its steel or iron because the metal has to be somewhat "flimsy" for those little "prongs" to hold on to the end of the sensor. I would on second thought now, take something akin to a Popsicle stick and try "sweeping" for it. Magnet won't do you any justice since the item you are looking to remove is most likely non-ferrous.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Hit it with a magnet and see if it sticks. If it does, get a cow magnet and place it next to the oil drain on the botton of the pan and drain the oil. It looks to big to come out the drain but if it is magnetic it'll stick to the magnet. Then roll the magnet to the hole. Grab the washer with a set of needle nose pliers and pull out the drain hole. It should bend and come out.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

I looked at one of my old sensors, all plastic. Black washer at the end is plastic.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All assuming you prefer not to drop the pan and get it.

Stick a magnet on the bottom of the pan and you will be fine. There is no way that thing would go through the pickup screen and for some freak reason that it would, the pumps hardened blades would grind it into oblivion and the filter would catch it.

Based on the way you have described it, I would likely talk myself into not fooling with it based on the probability that it would really cause a problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM

Thanks guys!you guys have been so helpful! I'm on to the next problem now haha once I started the car up I realized I have fuel pouring out of the line where it connects to the block. I'm thinking its just a gasket, that line is really loose though. I just want to drive this thing again!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Yep, I would get a strong magnet off an old speaker and stick it to the bottom of the pan. That washer, if its steel, will stick to that magnet as long as you leave it there.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel bad I busted off the whole plastic tip off inside my pan about a year ago. Still there today. It does have a windage tray so I went with it. No worries.

Quick Reply: Dropped a washer in oil pan need help