LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Extreme Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Vibration

I'm getting a terrible vibration in my car. I just finished doing the head gaskets and opti about 2 weeks ago. It happens at about 3k rpms and above. Pushing the clutch in doesn't affect it. What do you guys think?

I read that it might be a bad harmonic balancer. I did have it off to change the opti.. is it possible to put it back on wrong? I'll be messing with it tomorrow to see if I find anything. It feels like I'm riding down the street in an old coin operated dryer.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

You said pushing the clutch in doesn't change anything.. Hmmm try turning off the engine while in neutral and coasting if it goes away could be simple flat spots on your tires from sitting. Warning/disclaimer I do not recommend doing such act on a public road to diagnose or treat any mechanical issues with a veh.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

I had the tires rotated and balanced two days ago. The car only sat for about 5 weeks.

It's a really really bad rattle though. Like riding a jackhammer through traffic.

The only time I ever experienced this type of rattle was merging into the emergency lane on the highway and going over those strips that are in the pavement to wake people up.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if your exhaust is hitting up against your frame at all. That happened to me once and was so violent I couldnt drive the car.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Just took the hb off and it definitely looks like its seen better days.

Extreme Vibration-e4rmv.jpg

Extreme Vibration-6cjex.jpg

Is it even worth checking? Looks like it's fubar to me, but I don't know what I'm looking at.

My main concern is the hub. How do I know that it's okay?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Figured I would bring this back up instead of starting a new thread.

I still have this terrible vibration. It's only at higher rpms. Happens moving or stationary, clutch in or out, even with the serpentine belt off.

The car runs and pulls great except for high rpms. The only things I can think of at this point are messed up internals? When I had my heads machined the guy at the machine shop replaced one valve spring that was broken. I've read that they should be replaced in sets. Could this be a problem as well?

Lost on this one.

Quick Reply: Extreme Vibration