LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weight reduction lb/hp

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run an 8" converter for just that reason.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

An 8" is great if you need a stall over 4200ish and don't care about lockup. For most of us with street/strip cars though a 9.5" somewhere between 3000-4000 stall with lockup is a more reasonable choice for when we are on the street.

A couple friends have 8"ATI in "street" cars one in a TH350(with a lot of fancy light internals) the other a TH400 Gear Vendor setup. I personally wouldn't be happy with either as a street car but everyone's tolerances are different. Those guys started playing with cars that had 3 speed trannies so they don't miss lockup and OD. I started with my current car so lockup and OD are what are normal to me and I would miss them.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fex77k
Now were you planning on spraying that 200 or so shot on this same 8"converter? Charlie at ATI said I would have to run there 9"fuel and blown if I wanted to run any amount of spray! Our combos are pretty similar that's why I ask.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fex77k
got one from coan on the shopping list for this winter
Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hit em Up
Now were you planning on spraying that 200 or so shot on this same 8"converter? Charlie at ATI said I would have to run there 9"fuel and blown if I wanted to run any amount of spray! Our combos are pretty similar that's why I ask.
charlie told me the same thing once so I tried it anyway, converter loved it!

You just need to try it
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest I don't really listen to what companies suggest that often, that car that Fex77k is talking about is only 2100 lbs so is isn't really comparable to your car weight. Also I've seen 8" converters behind BBC combos that were using 25% Nitro 75% Alcohol and using nitrous on the line.

I listen to people that actually run the items that I use versus the companies that sell it.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had A-1 do mine and they nailed it out of the gate!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by noice
To be honest I don't really listen to what companies suggest that often, that car that Fex77k is talking about is only 2100 lbs so is isn't really comparable to your car weight. Also I've seen 8" converters behind BBC combos that were using 25% Nitro 75% Alcohol and using nitrous on the line.

I listen to people that actually run the items that I use versus the companies that sell it.
Point taken! Now I have also seen BBC run the converter dry on 8"-9" converters to due to not housing enough fluid.That's why I felt I needed a 9"with a 300shot.I really want closest to best of both worlds as possible lol.sorry for getting off track op!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Point taken! Now I have also seen BBC run the converter dry on 8"-9" converters to due to not housing enough fluid.That's why I felt I needed a 9"with a 300shot.I really want closest to best of both worlds as possible lol.sorry for getting off track op!
That's why i have to stay of the trans brake, usually no longer than 3-5 seconds at the line. I do not run a cooler, just a deep pan with a hardline loop.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 AM
9 Second Club

ati also told me that it was OK to neutral my th350 after i cross the stripe..........safe to say you cant it will cause the drum to spin about 25000rpm in my car and will create a grenade..........was concerning to hear that false safety from them, if i hadn't known what would happen and did it we couldve had a very interesting set of pictures to look at
Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
ati also told me that it was OK to neutral my th350 after i cross the stripe..........safe to say you cant it will cause the drum to spin about 25000rpm in my car and will create a grenade..........was concerning to hear that false safety from them, if i hadn't known what would happen and did it we couldve had a very interesting set of pictures to look at
Yeah I would say that's concerning lol!! Can't see how that would be a good idea? Btw do you still have trans and converter for sale? My friend is in the market for one and I believe your stall is inline of what he needs.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just adding.

in the trans is setup with a clean neutral you can do it. but the safest is let it gear down in high till you hit the turn out.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah I would say that's concerning lol!! Can't see how that would be a good idea? Btw do you still have trans and converter for sale? My friend is in the market for one and I believe your stall is inline of what he needs.
i sure do wont be out till feb or march but its still in the car

Originally Posted by BIGCAT7274
just adding.

in the trans is setup with a clean neutral you can do it. but the safest is let it gear down in high till you hit the turn out.
im building one of those now coan makes a special valvebody and input drum to allow you to do it car will shift PRN123N PPP makes the shifter
Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i sure do wont be out till feb or march but its still in the car

im building one of those now coan makes a special valvebody and input drum to allow you to do it car will shift PRN123N PPP makes the shifter
ppp is the ****.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would have got a TH350 lap dance. Probably would have cost you just the tip.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

ive heard 100lb for .1 seconds and 8hp. odviously thats a not scientific.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As pointed out, 100 lbs is worth a tenth only for slower cars. Like usually 13 second or slower.

Clean neutral is the way to go, especially if your over 7000 at the finish line. Rossler, Coan and Pro Trans all make clean neutral T350s, probably others. Btw, the shifter in that pic is the best there is, but the one for a clean neutral Trans has another "N" past the "3" position.

I tried an A1 converter, cost me over a tenth. Marv Ripes sold it several years ago and has now retired. They bought it back, as they told me they would. Good guys.
Have not tested a Coan. Good friend here locally, that I travel & pit with, has two fast SS cars. (1 for each son that drives them) who always used ATI had Coan build one of their light weight T350s for one car. Tried one of their converters too. Took three tweaks to make it as fast as their ATIs. Did work with them until they got it thought. Good guys also.

I have told this before: If Charlie Plott at ATI told me a **** ant could pull a freight train I would start figuring out how to hook that little sucker up.
I noticed the majority of NHRA SS cars had ATI converters, figured I could not go too wrong with them. Glad I did.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
As pointed out, 100 lbs is worth a tenth only for slower cars. Like usually 13 second or slower.

Clean neutral is the way to go, especially if your over 7000 at the finish line. Rossler, Coan and Pro Trans all make clean neutral T350s, probably others. Btw, the shifter in that pic is the best there is, but the one for a clean neutral Trans has another "N" past the "3" position.

I tried an A1 converter, cost me over a tenth. Marv Ripes sold it several years ago and has now retired. They bought it back, as they told me they would. Good guys.
Have not tested a Coan. Good friend here locally, that I travel & pit with, has two fast SS cars. (1 for each son that drives them) who always used ATI had Coan build one of their light weight T350s for one car. Tried one of their converters too. Took three tweaks to make it as fast as their ATIs. Did work with them until they got it thought. Good guys also.

I have told this before: If Charlie Plott at ATI told me a **** ant could pull a freight train I would start figuring out how to hook that little sucker up.
I noticed the majority of NHRA SS cars had ATI converters, figured I could not go too wrong with them. Glad I did.
yep ive heard the same ed that PPP shifter is supose to be the ****.....i had to go clean neutral, winding my motor down from an 8krpm trap every pass would not be good........im between ATI and Coan on the converter right now its still a toss up but ive got time to decide....waiting on payment from a board member on my 4l60e so i can buy the hard parts for the th350.......tell u the truth im sad to see this thing go lol
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After what myself and other racers I know and work with have seen, I would buy the ATI and be done with it.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
After what myself and other racers I know and work with have seen, I would buy the ATI and be done with it.
I agree. I thought that's what I told you to do a YEAR ago, Mike!
Even though the ATI in my car was a hand-me-down and not purposely built for it, I tried two others of another brand that WERE built specifically for it and failed to better its performance.

Quick Reply: Weight reduction lb/hp