LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

sorry to be a nuisance again....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had similar issues like yours before and they were all spark related. Plug wires are known to leak energy to one another so make sure none of them are touching each other. Separate them with wire separators..
Old 02-17-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

READY TO BLOW THHIS THING UP! anyways past two days a replaced my wires and did other little things that needed attending, changed the oil, while i was changing the oil i didn't' really look at it so anyways. started putting car back together, new oil filter on oil plug on fixed my oil level sensor that was leaking. decided while i have the altenator off ill give my rockers the 1/4 turn more they needed for they still made a little noise. DISASTER, took the valve cover off and of course gunked up white **** everywhere, obivously i've got water getting into my oil now, any way blown headgasket or such could cause my symptoms, cause at that point i cleaned up put it together and went for a short drive to see if misfire was gone, i haven't checked other side and reallly don't want to... really irritated right now, head gaskets aren't even a year old on this thing. not to mention its freezing outside with strongs winds, definetley a pretty bad day
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

now that i've had a chance to relax and look at my oil in the oil pan, it wasn''t to milky after doing research i read that not driving teh vehicle long distances or not can cause condensation and lead to the milky valve covers so im not to worried about that. But as i've been thinking last night opti or coil and probably my prime suspects, and im leaning more towards opti spark, i see that my waterpump seal seems to be leaking oil down, and it is a cheaper optiso i will probably be ordering a delphi opti soon.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 96z28_lt1
decided while i have the altenator off ill give my rockers the 1/4 turn more they needed for they still made a little noise.
If you just tightened the rockers without backing them off first while ensuring the valve was on the base of the lobe (valve fully closed) then you may have overtightened them. You need to readjust them before starting the car again.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

i'll be sure to to do that, i adjusted them last time and only went 3/4 turn didn't think a 1/4 turn would hurt no matter where at, but symptoms are the same so about the misfire im leaning mroe towards opti.... any input about that?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You can adjust rockers from 1/4 turn to a full turn. I have always adjusted stock lifters a half a turn, but that was backing them off and positioning the lifter on the base of the cam lobe to ensure valve was fully closed. I'd suggest starting over and readjusting them. If you need a guide, shoebox has a few methods on his page- www.shbox.com
I had a waterpump leak on my opti which caused these kind of symptoms. It would not leak until there was pressure in the coolant system. It would then leak out of the weephole and get the opti wet. It would drive fine, but if I put the engine under load it would sputter and miss. Look carefully at the weephole of the opti, or start the car while it is on jackstands and see if you can see coolant where it isn't supposed to be.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

no coolan't leaking, weephole is good, waterpump is less then a year old just oil leaking out of the waterpump shaft, i guess i broe the seal on install, wandering if it got into the opti and caused all kinds of issues, i went by shoeboxs site to adjust rockers before, i did 3/4 on stock lifters and it still just made a lot of noise so i figured a 1/4 turn more wouldn't really affect it, it ran great when it go into higher rpms no misfire or nothing.... so i guess ill be doing opti in about a weak or 2. i'll let everyone know if that fixes the problem
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

just an update, got the old opti off, took it apart and found 2 problems.... one was oil all over the sensor and 2 was arcing inside the cap so pretty sure found my problem. putting it back together tomorrow will update if it fixes this or not
Old 03-03-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Got it all back together today, runs great! I just want to thank everyone who took there time to help me and post the resolution to the problem, being the optispark. Now i just need to wait out for the taxes figure out my longterm split fuel trim issue and get it dyno tuned!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Awesome news bro! Glad it all worked out and your up and running again. Go rip some gears and keep the worries and pain you've endured to ease.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

already did, in front of some dude checking out a killer "fast" eclipse haha

Quick Reply: sorry to be a nuisance again....