LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

so I guess LT1 motors are complete junk and I should throw mine away.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

LSX engines are only impressive past 400 cubes. Other than that I'm still not impressed.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Through the progression of time and advances in technology...things will get better. That does not mean the previous modelnyear is any less important. In fact without the previous design ...the current would never exist

Sire the ltx has its downfalls....the opti was ahead of its time back in 92 , and puttin it under the wl was not a great idea..but a wp failire thatgts the opti wet is not an opti failure...its a wp failure and a failure of design location. However factory optis were 100,000 mile parts, its the cheap quality after market that has made have such a bad name.

Not sure what state ur in but there are many competant shops that still work on lt1s...and any smart business knows money is money and if irts green, the customer gets what they want.

Keepbur ltx.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ignorance.....plain and simple, if he is afraid to work on a glorified sbc (lt1) then i wouldn't want his ignorant mits anywhere near an LS motor anyway.....my **** as well as many others on here including popo^ are poster childs for what a LT platform in the hands of a knowledgable person can do.....as for durability ive seen more LS motors with rods sticking through the block than i can shake a stick at....
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of his points were spot on especially with a stock short block. You probably will spin a bearing, your computer isn't that great, you should upgrade the pump and drive system, and you'll still be into it more than if you started with a gen III AND wind up with less power and reliability. Anyone who knows anything can truthfully say that.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96z28_lt1
although i agree on some points to an extent, ls1 computer is better then lt1 in now way is the lt1 not a small block, and in no way are they crap haha, i feel you pain, probably should just go throw it out..... lt1s are to hard to work on anyways bahahaha, do the cam install yourself i did mine myself, great write up on shoebox website.
I dont think the shop guy meant it isnt a small block, instead that it isnt an LS1 and it isnt the tried and true dirt cheap Gen I SBC. Most share this view, that LT1 is the red headed stepchild, if you dont want to spend the money on an LS thats better then both, you are probably better throwing in a 350 SBC and going from there. Im in that camp myself but I dont hate LT1's I just think sometimes those resources could be better allocated to something thatd make the same power more reliably or more power way more reliably.

I imagine the guy came off like a douche though, which is not cool.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

My lt1 dyno'd 272whp and 310wtrq all stock, and has been totally reliable. Plus it was half the price of an ls1 camaro and the computer is easy to tune and works great. Sounds like a win in my books
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

If you can work on an LTX car you can work on anything PERIOD.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Launching!

I feel like this mechanic is having a hard time keeping his lawn mower running.. Ltx's aren't the most complex of designs
Old 02-07-2013, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

First of all being a business owner .......what an idiot if a car were such a service nightmare why wldnt u want the customer as "unreliable as these cars supposedly are it wld be money in the bank". he is clueless and has had a bad experience w one where he got stumped and wants nothing to do with them. Like quik said its pure ignorance. I myself have both a H/C/I ls1 ta and a blown 383 lt1 ta u can guess which one i like more, and anyone thats says u can make more power cheaper w a ls1 is totally ignorant every wants ls1s, and its that mentallity that brings up the price on anything ls1 heads, cams, blowers, anything out there price it both ways and time and time agn lt stuff is cheaper. Keep ur Lt ul be glad u did just make informed decisions on power adders and building these and youll be fine learn from the mistakes we have all made. GLWB
Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with him I'm selling mine. Parting the car out. Ad will be in the Florida section in a week or so. Everything is new.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
All of his points were spot on especially with a stock short block. You probably will spin a bearing, your computer isn't that great, you should upgrade the pump and drive system, and you'll still be into it more than if you started with a gen III AND wind up with less power and reliability. Anyone who knows anything can truthfully say that.
absoutly ZERO of this makes any sense.......if you spin a bearing from a cam instal then
Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vtec
get used to it. the LT1 is the worst motor ever built because it had an optispark that fails every 20 miles.
what homo would put an LT1 in something???
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadconeTuning
what homo would put an LT1 in something???
A homo that tends to put things in places most people would never consider?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heads/Cam/Supporting bolt-ons and tuning and you've got an 11 second car with an LT1. Hell, I've seen a partial bolt-on/150 shot LT1 c4 go 11.60's. How fast for how cheap does a car need to be before it's not junk? Lol.

If you want to buy a car that's 95% the same parts and 200% the price of an LT1 fbody, go for it. But most car owners will never use a platform to its potential anyway. They each have their merits.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...your computer isn't that great, you should upgrade the pump and drive system, and you'll still be into it more than if you started with a gen III AND wind up with less power and reliability.
Sounds like my brother, my father, my step-father, AND my tuner talking!

Yes, the Opti is problematic, thanks to the placement / location of the Water Pump - and to you who deny this, and blame "the aftermarket", you sound like Holocaust deniers! (There was a real, valid reason this design was scrapped.)

Also, the PCM is quite rudimentary compared to newer, more complex, chipsets.

Having said that, I have over 203,000 miles on my bird, I've learned so much from working on it myself (and saved so much money) - I love the way it looks and I will never sell it.

I have a real Love / Hate relationship with my LT1 - I love it when it's running well and I hate it when it isn't because it's always the same few stereotypical fatal flaws.

Don't stress too much about the engine, because (in the end), the LT1 will not be your vehicle's ultimate downfall - it will be the 10-Bolt rear end.

And that truth is one thing EVERY 4th Gen-er can agree on:

10 Bolt Rear Ends SUK!

Last edited by great421; 02-07-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley, what cam are you considering for a upgrade? IIRC your car is a stout runner. With some knowledge and the right tools the LT1 engine is easy to work on. The overhanging cowl is the worst part. If you don't want to do the swap yourself check out your regional forum for a good shop thats not run by a douchebag.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

LT1s are awesome, IMO. At my high school shop there was an old Caprice Police Interceptor with an LT1 well over 200k miles. Started up every time and ran like a champ. Hell, mines 20 years old and still runs great. The mechanic was probably a Ford fan. Not to be trusted. lol
Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

afuckingreed
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh hey gregrob! How's the ltx swap into your vette going?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 PM

2 years ago I paid $3k for my junk with 106k miles on it (he thought transmission was bad turns out it was the mount )
I just recently invested another $1700 into it (mods I installed myself).

Bluebooks for $5500 in my area and someone who knows the mods I could probably squeeze another $500-1k from it.

Ls1 Fbodies WITH HIGH MILEAGE are running $7k-9K in my area (most of them stock). Several sub 100k mileage are running $12k-$13k with one right now selling for $18k with 60,000 miles.

I'll just say I'm VERY VERY happy with my Piece of **** junk.....

Quick Reply: so I guess LT1 motors are complete junk and I should throw mine away.