LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad WOT Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the coil and ICM and it didn’t fix the problem. I also used a millimeter to check the fuel injectors and the wires going to them to make sure they were getting power and functioning properly, which they were. The reason I checked for that is because in my datalog my left o2 senor was reading very lean compared to my right one when the car starts acting up. So I thought it might be a fuel problem. But according to my fuel pressure gauge and testing out the injectors and wires it seems like everything is working right. I can also hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key. I also looked under the hood at night to see if I could see any arching but I didn’t. I’m going to take the wires off to get a better look. Anyone else have an idea what might be going on or what I should check for next? What could be causing my left o2 to be reading so lean? I also replaced the o2 sensors about a year and a half ago. Is this a fuel or electrical problem???

Last edited by pboxfun; 02-28-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

I finally had time to work on my car a bit yesterday. So I decided to go through all the plugs and wires. All the plugs looked good and didn't show any signs of running too rich or lean. But I did fine one of plug wires on the driver side to be cracked and arching. I had to look at the wire at weird angle which is why I must have missed it the other night. Hopefully this has been the cause of my misfire. I'm going to be changing all the wires to MSD and route them OTVC. I'll let everyone know if this fixes the problem or not after I change them.

Last edited by pboxfun; 03-04-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Update!!!

After installing the OTVC wires and plugs my car was still missing at high RPMs. Then my car finally threw a code 36 (Hi Res Failure) and would even start. So I finally decided to replace the optispark. After taking everything apart I noticed my water pump seal in the timing cover had been leaking and everything was covered in oil. I took the opti apart to find everything covered in oil. Turns out my bad water pump seal leaked oil all over my optispark until it covered the optical sensor in it. Luckily I have a lifetime warranty on my opti and got a new one for free. I also bought the special tool ($11 on Ebay) required to install the water pump drive seal on my timing cover correctly so it won’t leak. While I was there I also installed a summit racing (CVR) electric water pump as well. I put it all back together and it works as good as new again. No misfiring at any RPMs and no more oil leaking. Thanks to everyone for all your help!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What opti do you have that has a lifetime warranty!?

Congrats on finally getting it, I'm having a similar issue but not just WOT. Edit- fixed it today haha, cleaned maf and tb- runs like a champ again.

Last edited by nitroheadz28; 04-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

I actually have a chandler optispark. I think it paid $170 for it on Ebay and it has a lifetime warranty. I know a lot of people have mixed views on them but for the price and warranty you can't beat it. Plus they were really good with their warranty, sent me out a new opti as soon as I gave them a tracking # for my broken one.

Best advice I can give is check everything again. lol I replaced most of my stuff a little over a year ago like the wires and plugs, and somehow they went still went bad. I would suggest checking your coil and check the optispark harness wire because they can go bad as well and cause problems.

Also if you can datalog the car. That way you can see what O2s are reading.

Quick Reply: Bad WOT Misfire