LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Pressure Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Gauge Install

I recently bought myself a fuel pressure gauge and an oil temperature gauge (prosport evo series gauges).(I WANT TO CLARFIY THAT THIS IS FOR A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE IN THE CABIN NOT UNDER THE HOOD) I read in camaro proformers(whatever the name of the magazine is) and they have a write up on how they installed the gauges.
As far as the Oil temp goes i am going to run a sandwich plate on the oil filter to get my reading from there instead of doing it from the low oil pressure sensor spot( which i think is stupid how they did it. Anyways In that write up they had a fitting that fit in between the oem fuel feed that allowed for the 1/8's Npt fitting needed to fit my fuel pressure sensor. the ony difference that i saw is that they installed these gauges on an 01 camaro (ls1 equipped) my car is a 1994 z28 lt1. they used a part from aeromotive (part number 15121, $64.95 and heres the direct link to the piece http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...8-access-port/) to run between the fuel rail and feed and all they did was use a -8an cap to block off the extra spot that was in that fitting.I was wondering if i am able to use this piece on my lt1, and if not, what way can I obtain fuel pressure from my car? thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited by mr. em1; 02-22-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: adding correct information
Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oil temp is a pretty useless reading IMO. It's usually within 10 degrees of the coolant temp and won't tell you much.

For the fuel pressure just use a Schrader to -4AN adapter that goes on the OEM fuel rail. You just have to remove the core of the Schrader valve and use any generic fuel pressure sending unit (electric, of course).

Stop overcomplicating things.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your help, but Oil temperature is one of hte most important readings you can have especially when you are forced induction. I come from the Honda scene i had a serious civic setup 10 point cage 67mm turbo blah blah blah. Oil temp is the single most important thing to know because once you get to around 230-240 you start hitting problems and dont want to be hot lapping your car when your turbo and motor both need to be cooled by the oil. (most guys use oil only cooling for turbos on the strip).

Does anybody have a part number or a website/link for the part that i need to connect to the feed/rail?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mr. em1
Thanks for your help, but Oil temperature is one of hte most important readings you can have especially when you are forced induction. I come from the Honda scene i had a serious civic setup 10 point cage 67mm turbo blah blah blah. Oil temp is the single most important thing to know because once you get to around 230-240 you start hitting problems and dont want to be hot lapping your car when your turbo and motor both need to be cooled by the oil. (most guys use oil only cooling for turbos on the strip).

Does anybody have a part number or a website/link for the part that i need to connect to the feed/rail?
What? I think EGT is more important than oil temp. And if you had a serious "race car" you wouldnt be hot lapping it. You should need time to refill your ice box, check fluids, etc.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

If you are FI, then you probably have an AFPR which should have a port for a tester on it. Just a matter of getting the right NPT adapter for it. I tapped into my Aeromotive AFPR when I installed my FP gauge, was quick an easy.

If not, then just do like suggested and run an adapter off the schrader valve with the proper port for the sending unit.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

maybe oil temp was a "problem" on the HonDA but that doesn't automatically mean it will be on a smallblock Chevy.

For an LT1 IMO I wouldn't bother with oil temp unless road racing.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Teching In

well at some places they try to hot lap you and in the class that i built my car for you ould only run a2a intercoolers which sucked. but reguardless of the fact of if anyone thinks i need it or not, i have the gauges and want to install them the oil temp is easy im using an oil filter adaptor plate.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Puck
If you are FI, then you probably have an AFPR which
should have a port for a tester on it. Just a matter of getting the right NPT adapter for it. I tapped into my Aeromotive AFPR when I installed my FP gauge, was quick an easy.

If not, then just do like suggested and run an adapter off the schrader valve with the proper port for the sending unit.
im not forced induction at the moment if i had the aeromotive i would pull it off of there but im not i am all stock at this point. thank you for your input!
Im not actually sure whcih part is the schrader valve does anyone have a pic for me? thanks guys
Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mr. em1
im not forced induction at the moment if i had the aeromotive i would pull it off of there but im not i am all stock at this point. thank you for your input!
Im not actually sure whcih part is the schrader valve does anyone have a pic for me? thanks guys
It looks like a big valve stem coming off the drivers side fuel rail hard line. Should have a black cap on it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Gauge Install