LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 ram air vs cold air!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This megamouth means no A/C? Removing the condenser?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I considered doing this along with the Chris 1313 ram air but its not worth hacking up my hawk for a very small gain over the SLP ram air.

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an SS hood, I just use a Lingenfelter CAI and drilled holes in the splash pan under it. It flows good. IMO hacking up the rad support and bottom of your hood is a lil way out for that, just get an LS1 car lol.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I have ran the stock SS intake, a K&N, and a Moroso CAI on my 97 SS and can't tell any power difference between them for just driving the car. (Hard and often....it's one of my daily drivers.) I'm sure some scientific testing would reveal a difference, but I doubt it's 2 tenths on most cars. Alot of the comparisons I've seen have been using aftermarket SS airboxes from Suncoast or the other one I forgot that makes a version. Those have much sharper and smaller turns than the OEM SS intake. Both the ones I've owned had much larger and gentler radius in the turns as well as a metal heat shield attached to the underside to keep the air cool. It is kinda in the way if working on your valvetrain or something, but not that hard to remove. On the other hand, it's alot easier to service my air filter than either of the CAI's I have since I don't have to jack the car up and access the inner wheel well.
The LS1 lid conversion won't work for you without cutting your core support and/or cutting the underside of your hood. (Please don't do that to a factory SS hood.)
I've got an LG motorsports Strut tower brace that fits around the SS airbox if you decide to keep it. It is a 3 point that ties into the cowl area too. I've also got a few different CAI's if you decide not to keep it. Plus I'm only a few hours away from you.

Same here. Did the moroso only because the ss intake wouldn't clear my new canton valve covers. No difference in performance.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by transamkid1985
I have a 97 Camaro ss! It has built 355 ported n polished heads cc306 cam and a monster built 4l60e with 2500 stall. My predicament I'm in is whether r not I should remove my ram air n put a cold air intake on. N will a strut tower brace bolt up with the ss ram air still on there. I've done searches but all I come up with is ws6 stuff and there ram air is different from ours. Also can I switch to an ls1 lid without changing the hood and all that other stuff and it still be functional? It is an ss n I'd rather not do that I like the lt1 body style camaro's better than the ls1's! I don't like the catfish look lol. Any help would be great thanks!
Did a CAI upgrade of my 95 Camero LT1 Z28 in 3 stages for throttle response effect. See photo.
Stage one; new duct from MAS (but not from throttle body as with K&N and moroso kits) with new engine height K&N filter… improvement barely noticeable
Stage two, new duct from throttle body to engine height K&N filter…improvement noted
Stage three, dropped K&N filter to lowest point in body panel.. Marked improvement

Conclusion: don’t do CAI unless complete stock replacement with filter down to lowest point in body panel (about 10-11 inches above road). Replacing the stock throttle body elbow improves airflow by eliminating bellows/accordion duct restriction.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Default Cai

Did a CAI upgrade of my 95 Camero LT1 Z28 in 3 stages for throttle response effect. See photo.
Stage one; new duct from MAS (but not from throttle body as with K&N and moroso kits) with new engine height K&N filter… improvement barely noticeable
Stage two, new duct from throttle body to engine height K&N filter…improvement noted
Stage three, dropped K&N filter to lowest point in body panel.. Marked improvement

Conclusion: don’t do CAI unless complete stock replacement with filter down to lowest point in body panel (about 10-11 inches above road). Replacing the stock throttle body elbow improves airflow by eliminating bellows/accordion duct restriction.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Barry Hall

Conclusion: don’t do CAI unless complete stock replacement with filter down to lowest point in body panel (about 10-11 inches above road). Colder, (denser) air in unrestricted duct is the only way to go. Replacing the stock throttle body elbow improves airflow by eliminating bellows/accordion duct restriction.
see above
Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 AM

Imo anything is an improvement from stick airbox lol
Old 05-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The SS hood has two 90-degree sharp bends in it (which is restrictive and turbulent), plus it sits on top of the engine. Many people see higher IATs with the SS intake as well.
At idle it sees higher intake temps but I also bet the "cold air" intakes see higher temps as well since they suck air from inside the engine compartment and under the car right off the hot ground. I scanned and tuned on mine probably 50 times and at cruising speeds the air is never in the intake long enough to heat up. Once we would crack the throttle even slightly the IAts would drop to outside ambient temps every time.

Also if you look at the cold air intakes they have a 90 degree bend off the throttle body then make a 90 degree turn straight down.

Taking the baffle out of the hood helped mine out some as well. I ran mine with the ss intake for most of it's life. 2+ years ago I switched to the LS1 lid setup to see what would be gained and to clean up the engine bay.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I read a discussion on this topic a few years ago on a different forum and someone did the math for horse power gains using a ram air induction. The info that stuck with me was that you have to be going about 150 mph to see a gain of 1hp, and you have to be going something like 375 mph to see a gain of 5hp. It's not much at all but they are measurable gains. The thread was also geared towards Pontiacs without that restrictive roundabout air tunnel.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

A Moroso intake has shown nice gains.
A nice lid setup works good too.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my functional hood :O
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

yup i like my functional hood too, but the SS intake isnt the streamlined piece that ws6's have unfortunately. Its almost a toss up, they say lid rules over all, but it is a PITA for a airbox. Id leave it the way it is or get a CAI, someone should get dyno results.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the question is, does a ls1 style no bends air intake show a measurable gain in power over something like a K&N?

Quick Reply: Lt1 ram air vs cold air!!!