LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Who ports AFR heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013 | 01:48 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Could always be faster.
Could have a million dollar bank account and a 12" pecker, but alas...

Originally Posted by duh
I prefer fast and reliable and an willing to pay the price. Besides who really wants to be like everyone else??
So what off-brand, not run-of-the-mill, only the elite know about engine components are you going with, or have gone with?
Old 03-18-2013 | 02:00 PM
9-Second Club

Just because you can't find it at Wal Mart, Autozone, Jegs or Summit doesn't
make it off brand. LOL
Old 03-18-2013 | 02:11 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

I completely understand that, however the consensus here is the popular brands offered are cheap and not as effective as those offered which are not known to us ignorant folk, which makes it exotic! And faster! And better!
Old 03-18-2013 | 03:01 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

My dealings have been with other guys money. But alas a 6 second pro-mod must not know what they're doing. Their budget is way beyond that of the average joe, but what most people on these forums don't realize is there are hundreds of "other guys" that can make more power than what is being made by guys on these forums. The LTx platform is nothing more than an SBC with a goofy distributor location, and reverse flow cooling. If nothing else these engines should be making more HP per cubic in than an L98. The only downside is we are restricted to a factory block. There are plenty of engine builders that can and have made better results than what we've seen in these boards. BadHawk is a good example. He's won his class at the shootout and is using a combo that is nowhere near the norm for this forum. ED obviously hasn't used the heads that everyone here praises. For my build I have kept my options open. While mine is mostly a street car, it may not be by the time the engine gets done. My budget will vary greatly by that time, but I still have a stock set of heads sitting in the shelf just in case. Who is going to bless them is still unknown. My only point is that while stock ported heads may be enough for your typical street build, it most definitely is not the only option. Hell, even Shepard has converted SBC heads. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 03-18-2013 | 05:17 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by duh
But alas a 6 second pro-mod must not know what they're doing.
No one ever said that.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
Absolutely. It's just a little on the ridiculous side to toot away in putting an entire message forum down for who they decide to use because you may know someone who does a better job.

Ed,
If anything, you should praise the internet for being what it is. You had the entire f-body crowd by the ***** back in the 90's and 2000's offering your services, and all your advertising was done on internet message boards.
Old 03-18-2013 | 05:37 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

I never once put anyone down for who they choose to use. I think it's rediculous when people argue over who the best head porter is. AI and LE do a good job for the prices they charge. They have shown great results on the track as well. It's crazy for anyone to say they are the best though. IIRC Shepards heads were done by Mamo. So then why wouldn't everyone run to him? Money. Plain and simple. I'm a believer in figuring out what you want and working/saving to buy the parts to get said results. That's how you build a true car. If you're happy running 11's or 10's or whatever in your weekend car that's fine. Personally I wanna go as fast as I can with a hydraulic roller LTx. I'm also a guy who will deal with what the car is. I run a full rod ended suspension, not because I like the way it rides, but for the way it performs. Besides, my car never will ride or corner with the best of them, so why should I expect it to? My engine will be put together with the same mindset.
Old 03-18-2013 | 05:39 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Sorry OP for getting off topic. Find someone who has results, that you trust and can afford to pay to port your heads, then let us know what it does!
Old 03-18-2013 | 06:01 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by duh
I never once put anyone down for who they choose to use.
Wasn't necessarily directed at you. There have been legitimate reasons why I have **** on certain heads. Good luck on your project.
Old 03-18-2013 | 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duh
I never once put anyone down for who they choose to use. I think it's rediculous when people argue over who the best head porter is. AI and LE do a good job for the prices they charge. They have shown great results on the track as well. It's crazy for anyone to say they are the best though. IIRC Shepards heads were done by Mamo. So then why wouldn't everyone run to him? Money. Plain and simple. I'm a believer in figuring out what you want and working/saving to buy the parts to get said results. That's how you build a true car. If you're happy running 11's or 10's or whatever in your weekend car that's fine. Personally I wanna go as fast as I can with a hydraulic roller LTx. I'm also a guy who will deal with what the car is. I run a full rod ended suspension, not because I like the way it rides, but for the way it performs. Besides, my car never will ride or corner with the best of them, so why should I expect it to? My engine will be put together with the same mindset.
how fast do you think you can run with a hyd roller?
Old 03-18-2013 | 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

The OP wants some work done to 180cc AFRs for a 230int Hyd. roller street car, not a raised runner 215 with a 26xint TK lobed drag car with a dominator single plane .

The "common" guys should be more then enough for his goals . After someone like Craig gets his hands on them they will outperform any stock casting offering that isn't welded and epoxied on.
Old 03-18-2013 | 08:14 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIGCAT7274
how fast do you think you can run with a hyd roller?
I have a few tricks I'm gonna try, and see what I get.

As for the OP, I didn't realize he's only looking at a 23x duration street motor. I still believe he should find someone that he trusts. It doesn't necessarily have to be LE or AI
Old 03-18-2013 | 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by duh
Sorry OP for getting off topic. Find someone who has results, that you trust and can afford to pay to port your heads, then let us know what it does!
its all good.

Originally Posted by Puck
The OP wants some work done to 180cc AFRs for a 230int Hyd. roller street car, not a raised runner 215 with a 26xint TK lobed drag car with a dominator single plane .

The "common" guys should be more then enough for his goals . After someone like Craig gets his hands on them they will outperform any stock casting offering that isn't welded and epoxied on.
Yup you hit the nail on the head dude
Old 03-18-2013 | 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

I forgot about Larry Meaux, right there in Lousiana. One of the best cylinder head men on the planet. http://www.maxracesoftware.com/
You can contact him there. Many racers use his software too. I do, and love it.
Thanks Ed
Old 03-19-2013 | 07:33 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

After someone like Craig gets his hands on them they will outperform any stock casting offering that isn't welded and epoxied on.
Goddamned straight. Ed of all people should know this.
Old 03-19-2013 | 07:33 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Goddamned straight. Ed of all people should know this.
Pardon? I don't even know who that is. Are his heads on a race car I might know?

Last edited by Ed Wright; 03-19-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2013 | 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Pardon? I don't even know who that is. Are his heads on a race car I might know?
Craig Gallant.
Old 03-19-2013 | 08:27 PM
9-Second Club

Craig Gallant.
GTP, right? Been around along time.
Old 03-20-2013 | 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

GTP, right? Been around along time.
Yep.

He seems to be doing the most work with Mopar stuff now, but still does LS and SBC/LT stuff too.

Quick Reply: Who ports AFR heads?