LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

got my 24x kit, I'm a little upset.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished the 24x install on my AI 200 CC H/C/I build and the cam reluctor slid on perfect. Very little extra clearance, just enough clearance to install it, which is the way you want a precision component like this.

I'd also like to add that the customer service from EFI Connections is very good, I've sent Mike many emails with questions along the way and he has responded very quickly and answered my questions.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

His CS is great and never had an issue yet. My neighbor is doing his 95 Z as well and he mic'd his hole. .243". So we'll be enlarging his as well. He did get an ACD Sensor. I may do a slight of hand on him. LOL

I'm sorry if some of you think I'm whining, bitching, ranting, etc. But I' the type of person that is a perfectionist. If I pay money for something or do something, I want it right. Right is right, wrong is wrong. No maybes.
A good example is my rod to cam clearance. I have 2 rods .045" from the cam. Normally should be about .060". Even my shop and many others say I'll be fine. But It's just irritating me. I'm just hating the fact of pulling the heads back off, etc. The engine is 90% assembled. Yes it rotates fine, but it's still in my mind, it's not perfect.

Granted, I know how to half-*** stuff and can do it quick to make it work and good at it. But I choose not to when it involves $10k.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You guys are all panicking for no reason. Just use a 1/4" drill bit and slightly ream out the hole.
Exactly, don't panic. I just brought up the point. It's a simple fix, but I deal with many back-yardigans all the time. I just envisioned an example of a guy I know that would have grabbed a POS drill and a dull drill bit of unknown size and just start reaming.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-run-them.html

A perfectionist huh?
skip white rockers and "ls7 lifters are an upgrade".
Seems to me you just are not too bright.................
you are going to worry about stuff that doesn't matter and halfass things that do and endup with something that performs mediocre at best.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

A perfectionist huh?
you are going to worry about stuff that doesn't matter and halfass things that do and endup with something that performs mediocre at best.
5 star ******* post, spot on, would read again.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

A perfectionist huh?
Missing your point here, slick. Seems almost everyone in that thread disagreed with you. And like I said in that thread, I have been out of the game for a long time due to multiple deployments before retirement and my kids racing MX. But don't underestimate my knowledge of engines. I've been building on real cars since the 70's and not some redneck, backyard camaros. I've had my share of very fast cars. So I've been out of touch of the latest parts and tricks.

As for the rockers, Yes I got the Skip Whites and they are stout. Considering I did mention a good friend runs them on his 1000hp engines compared to your little 400hp. Just for an update, talking to him and about 10 other guys that run brackets,(5 sec cars) they run them too. None had ever had an issue with any rockers. So I'm pretty confident.

So think what you want.

Edit. And you say mediocre??? It's being built to push about 400rwhp and it will, easily. If I wanted to build a race car out of it, it would be a race car.

Last edited by SAPPER; 04-13-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

That's why I have that fucktard on "ignore." Not a damn good thing to say about anything.

Anyway, if I had anything to gain from this mod I would do it in a hearbeat. But I already shelled out $500 for a new MSD opti and the whole combo runs too damn good to change now.

Are you self tuning or you have a dyno tune in the works?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

There was a time that Standard Motor Products were considered a better part than AC-Delco. Now with ACDelco being post-bankruptcy, they're parts are made by anybody that can low bid. And yes, the amount of "re-boxing" that goes on in the industry would make your head spin. I still specify Blue Streak caps & rotors where needed.

As far as the hole being a tad too small, I agree. This is hot-rodding and modifying/fabricating non-stock equipment. Sometimes, you just gotta make it fit.

And our friend Caprice: I'm sure he gets into a lot of bar fights but he's usually right about car stuff.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Standard parts are not bad.
LS7 lifters are not any sort of upgrade, people just believe they magically are because they were used in the LS7 but the LT1 valvetrain really doesn't resemble the lightweight LS7 valvetrain. People go blindly assuming the LS7 lifter is magical because of what GM did with that engine but A quick look on Summit has a 2.00 stainless SBC valve like most of us use at over 100grams where the LS7 Titanium intake despite being a lot bigger is only 76grams. There is the valvetrain magic. Hell we see MORE LS7 lifter failures than stock and some guys make the argument that it is modern lobes and such which is certainly reasonable but nowhere is there any reasonable documentation to show the LS7s being "an upgrade" it is all just wishful thinking.

The Skip White stuff hopefully works but it is just cheap chinese stuff, not what a "perfectionist" would be looking for.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rob,
This has been a build 2 years in the works. Just not a priority till the last 7 months. But I never did like the opti but I never really had any bad problems with one either.
But tuning is the killer. That's why I'm going ls PCM.
As for tuning, I have a excellent tuner about an hour away. He's doing the base tune by mail and then will Dyno tune it after break in. After that, I'll use EFI live to tune my trans shift points.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A perfectionist huh?
You forgot your usual AI plug.

Quick Reply: got my 24x kit, I'm a little upset.