LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LSX or BBC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Google 'big block 4th gen' and you'll get all kinds of pics.
lol didnt occur to me to do that but I did google it must say they look good!
Old 12-17-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must have watched too much ****...I giggle every time I see BBC.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Good stuff! What's it going in? I wanted to build a rat rod with one just because of the cool valve covers, lol.
It's going in my 61 Bel Air. It's originally just a 283 car, but it's had a 433" (427) for about 15 years now. I've owned it since I was 15 (40 now) and have been looking for a 409 since I got it. Took me that long for the right one to come along that I could afford. That all aluminum one in the pics I posted was just completed a few weeks ago and made over 850 HP and nearly 700 TQ with less than 12:1 compression. The other one pictured is a street driven build, but still a solid roller motor. It made 604. I'm shooting for around 650 with mine. (Or about the same as my current big block, just in a cooler looking and lighter package.) You could build one based off of a 348 block for about half the cost of a 409 and still have the same look and make great power. It's easy to get 434 cubic inches with only a .030" overbore out of the little 348 with a stroker kit. The 348 weighs more than a small block, but still lighter than a regular big block.

Originally Posted by "MAC"
BBC will always make more power and can hold more power but again with all the fitment issues that your going to have and the cost to build a BBC id say a turbo LSX car would be better because of the aftermarket. It was a pain in the *** to just fit a BBC into my dads 69 Camaro so to try and fit half the engine under neath the cowl in a 4th gen is gonna be 100 times worse. on the upside to that you will have to cut a lot of things so your gonna lose weight on the front end but that should voided with the added extra weight of the BBC. Either way you go good luck and please post pics Ive never seen a BBC in a 4th gen and it would really look cool IMO.
No offense, but putting a big block chevy into a 69 Camaro is about as easy as it gets. Not one piece would have to be fabricated or hard to find. I've never put on in a 4th gen, but I have researched it and the only things you really need (besides deleting the HVAC and getting a firewall block-off) is an aftermarket K-member and headers. You can even start off with an off the shelf header and have a few tubes redone to come out somewhat cheap on the headers. I see used sets come up for sale here on LS1tech every now and then too. Clearance for a carb is an issue, but people make them fit.....just like they do when running a tall Edelbrock or Holley EFI intake on an LSX in a 4th gen. An edelbrock Torker 2 intake is super low....so it should give the most hood clearance available. You can also space the k-member down just a tad to gain some more clearance.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
I must have watched too much ****...I giggle every time I see BBC.
I thought about that when I titled this thread.....
Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

British Broadcasting Corporation ??????
Old 12-17-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
It's going in my 61 Bel Air. It's originally just a 283 car, but it's had a 433" (427) for about 15 years now. I've owned it since I was 15 (40 now) and have been looking for a 409 since I got it. Took me that long for the right one to come along that I could afford. That all aluminum one in the pics I posted was just completed a few weeks ago and made over 850 HP and nearly 700 TQ with less than 12:1 compression. The other one pictured is a street driven build, but still a solid roller motor. It made 604. I'm shooting for around 650 with mine. (Or about the same as my current big block, just in a cooler looking and lighter package.) You could build one based off of a 348 block for about half the cost of a 409 and still have the same look and make great power. It's easy to get 434 cubic inches with only a .030" overbore out of the little 348 with a stroker kit. The 348 weighs more than a small block, but still lighter than a regular big block.
Awesome! What cubes are you pushing on it? Is it "just" a .030 over motor, or are you doing an old school "mystery motor"? Also, is that aluminum block one of the World Products 509 blocks?

No offense, but putting a big block chevy into a 69 Camaro is about as easy as it gets.
^^^Beat me to it.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Banned

No offense, but putting a big block chevy into a 69 Camaro is about as easy as it gets. Not one piece would have to be fabricated or hard to find. I've never put on in a 4th gen, but I have researched it and the only things you really need (besides deleting the HVAC and getting a firewall block-off) is an aftermarket K-member and headers. You can even start off with an off the shelf header and have a few tubes redone to come out somewhat cheap on the headers. I see used sets come up for sale here on LS1tech every now and then too. Clearance for a carb is an issue, but people make them fit.....just like they do when running a tall Edelbrock or Holley EFI intake on an LSX in a 4th gen. An edelbrock Torker 2 intake is super low....so it should give the most hood clearance available. You can also space the k-member down just a tad to gain some more clearance.
lol no offense taken man. It was our first time doing it, so we ran into a lot of problems.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Banned

Good info btw thanks man!! My dad has the Torker 2 intake actually on his 454 Camaro he doesn't like it tho. We all think that between his cam (which im not sure on the specs but he called Comp Cams to get one of their Thumper Cam's) his intake, and his carb that it doesnt match up right so that is the reason why it's not running right. So he is considering rebuilding it and has a few ideas in mind already.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Awesome! What cubes are you pushing on it? Is it "just" a .030 over motor, or are you doing an old school "mystery motor"? Also, is that aluminum block one of the World Products 509 blocks?
It is a BWR (Bob Walla Racing) aluminum block. It is much closer to a reproduction style casting than the World blocks which are just modified off of World's bbc casting.

Originally Posted by "MAC"
Good info btw thanks man!! My dad has the Torker 2 intake actually on his 454 Camaro he doesn't like it tho. We all think that between his cam (which im not sure on the specs but he called Comp Cams to get one of their Thumper Cam's) his intake, and his carb that it doesnt match up right so that is the reason why it's not running right. So he is considering rebuilding it and has a few ideas in mind already.
You're welcome. I hope the changes you make give you the results you want. Getting everything matched up is definitely the key.

Quick Reply: LSX or BBC?