LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Replaced Opti, now I don't have any spark at all. LTCC kit.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Opti, now I don't have any spark at all. LTCC kit.

So I had my new build running normally when my vehicle started acting up like it did with the stock ignition (I'm now running the LTCC kit).

The only remaining part of the ignition system from the last time it acted up like it did (bucking, backfiring and stalling) is the opti. So I replaced it with a brand new Summit opti that my friend had, wouldn't start. I had a brand new Delphi opti overnighted and installed that, no start.

Checked for spark, no spark.

LTCC lights up as normal with a red and green blink when you turn the key to the on position letting me know the LTCC has power. The green light blinks when cranking letting me know the unit is receiving a signal from the opti.

The coil harnesses are hooked up the exact same way they were a couple days ago when the car was running. I took apart each connector on the coil harness and the LTCC and opti harness and cleaned them with electrical cleaner to ensure a good connection.

All LTCC grounds are hooked up and tight, just as they were when the vehicle was running.

My only other thought is that there is a short somewhere in my engine harness or another ground has come loose that I can't see.

HELP! This is driving me crazy!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Have you double checked the connections where you tied into the wires from the old coil connector?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by illusions
Have you double checked the connections where you tied into the wires from the old coil connector?
Yep, the car has already been running since I hooked up the LTCC kit. Since changing the opti, I never touched those wires. I unhooked them and reconnected them to double check the connection was good, which it is. The LTCC is powering up and receiving a signal from the opti. I took the opti off 3 times to ensure it was lining up correctly. I plugs will spark once when I turn the key to the on position, but will not spark at all when cranking.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Just dealt with a similar issue on my friend's car. Bucking, misfiring, then no spark at all. Looked over everything from the LTCC. Turned out the pigtail that hooks the LTCC inline with the opti signal to the pcm was not making a good connection. Looked fine, but wasn't. Ended up cutting off the pigtails and direct wiring/soldering the connection. Has not had a problem since. LTCC showed it was getting signal just like your situation. Hope this helps. Any more questions, just ask. I've dealt with almost every aspect of the LTCC since installing it about 5 years ago.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the reply! I won't be home from work until about 6:30-7:00 tonight but I'm going to check that connection again as well as checking over all of my fuses.

The bucking and the backfiring was happening back when my ignition was stock, so that is not a sympton of anything LTCC related.

I had the car started with the LTCC and then the backfiring and bucking started again so I knew that aspect of it had to be the opti. However, the no-spark no-start is a new thing I just came across over the past couple of days since replacing the opti.

I have had the pigtails apart quite a bit though, so dirt may be an issue even though I've tried to clean all the connection the best I could.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like the connector on the pcm side is fubared like my situation. You changed optis so that would seemingly rule out the opti side of the connection. Although my friend had a summit opti that was garbage back in the day also. Didn't work right the day we put it in. Replaced it with a Delphi like you did.

The connector looked 100% okay. Like you though, we had disconnected it and reconnected so many times over the years it just did not make good contact. We cleaned it, scrubbed it, etc... Turned out when it was plugged straight in, it would not make contact. When we cocked it at an angle it worked. Chopped it out, problem solved.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chino_man279
Sounds like the connector on the pcm side is fubared like my situation. You changed optis so that would seemingly rule out the opti side of the connection. Although my friend had a summit opti that was garbage back in the day also. Didn't work right the day we put it in. Replaced it with a Delphi like you did.

The connector looked 100% okay. Like you though, we had disconnected it and reconnected so many times over the years it just did not make good contact. We cleaned it, scrubbed it, etc... Turned out when it was plugged straight in, it would not make contact. When we cocked it at an angle it worked. Chopped it out, problem solved.
This gives me hope! I am going to try this and cross my fingers!

Quick Reply: Replaced Opti, now I don't have any spark at all. LTCC kit.