LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What Oil is best to use

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by See U Later 4
so the car is made for the street , so are u saying 10:8 to 1 is bad for it and if so what do i need to do this my go around with motors or cars in general for the matter
Easiest way to bump compression is thinner head gaskets. What cam are you running? What crank are you using, forged or cast? Looks like you fell for a typical catalog build. What is your head gasket thickness now? Give us a full list of parts well see if we can help salvage this.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe Royal Purple is known to shear pretty badly. If I were going to use it, I would probably change it pretty often.

German Castrol has tested well in the LT1 engine, but when you start building them I guess things could change.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RJDio
Showing my age! I can remember those commercials in the 80's when synthetic oils were getting popular, they would apply pressure to a spinning metal wheel and while looking at a pressure gauge it was obvious the synthetic oil was far superior since the metal wheel didn't want to stop spinning with a ton of pressure on it, the conventional oil would start smoking and the wheel would stop! They should bring those commercials back!

anyway, find a good synthetic oil and FILTER that you can find local and can afford and keep using and changing it, religiously. I kept using Mobil 1 since my car's previous owner used it, but I've switched to Royal Purple, so far so good.

BLEACH does well in that test, I wont be filling the crankcase with it any time soon.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing wrong with Royal Purple. Hell, we use it in solids-handling bearing cases in $30,000 Cornell food pumps.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
I believe Royal Purple is known to shear pretty badly. If I were going to use it, I would probably change it pretty often.

German Castrol has tested well in the LT1 engine, but when you start building them I guess things could change.
Shear pretty badly according to who??
Old 05-14-2013, 09:24 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by BTC

Shear pretty badly according to who?? Read that on the Internet?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
BLEACH does well in that test, I wont be filling the crankcase with it any time soon.
I don't understand how bleach factors in, not sure what you mean.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im guessing he meant they added bleach in the commercial which is why it started to smoke
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

I don't understand how bleach factors in, not sure what you mean.
He is saying that jut because something passes that viscosity test or does better than conventional oil, does not mean you should put it in your engine. Bleach passes the test better than conventional oil but he's saying he wouldn't put that in his engine (considering that it would destroy it).
Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Shear pretty badly according to who?? Read that on the Internet?
By people who have their oil tested instead of spouting off what's the best oil with 0 facts to back up their claims.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is up with Cerma? I was looking for the old infomercial and saw some good youtube comparisons of major synthetics vs. Cerma additive included. I gotta say; dang! I'm gonna research it and maybe throw in a quart. Have to look into it!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I love car forums for just this reason lol.

My LT1 was just rebuilt this winter with 177,000 miles on it...with nothing but fram filters on it. It was only rebuilt because the motor was out and I wanted a new bump stick.
Yeah fram is good for daily driver street cars with regular changes of under 3000 miles. Fram is fine if you change them pretty often but more often then not the fram filters break down earlier then a Wix or a M1 filter. Hardcore built LTx’s would never see a fram. A better filter is crucial.

As far as people bashing royal purple, there is nothing wrong with RP. Its pricey but its good oil. Also they have nice filters.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well it seems Cerma isn't cheap! Its an additive, and advertised as a one time use!?! Really?!? I mean if it's a bullet to bite once...Anyone have any experience with this or is it snake oil?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

well it seems Cerma isn't cheap! Its an additive, and advertised as a one time use!?! Really?!? I mean if it's a bullet to bite once...Anyone have any experience with this or is it snake oil?
John D Rockefeller was snake oil. lol Cool test though. What are those bars made of?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive always ran EVOO and ive only had to rebuild every 1000 seconds ran. Works well for me
Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 AM
9-Second Club

I defer to professional race engine builders and professional racers I deal with, not Internet "experts".
Thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:55 AM
9-Second Club

Arrow

What is up with Cerma? I was looking for the old infomercial and saw some good youtube comparisons of major synthetics vs. Cerma additive included. I gotta say; dang! I'm gonna research it and maybe throw in a quart. Have to look into it!
Royal Purple Vs. Cerma 10w-30 oil - YouTube
Have to wonder, you some of you guys consider an infomercial like this a "fact"?

There is another racing oil that used to have a trailer at NHRA races, and had a demo like that. Their oil passed, almost no others passed with as much load as theirs.
Closest test my engine has to that is upper pushrod *****. Mine burned ends off the intake pushrods with that crap. Still have a couple of qts in my trailer. Not sure why.
Royal Purple stopped that. Even the very thin "Race9", which is too thin to run all the time. 1000 lbs open spring pressure, so that is like 1800 psi on the ends of the intake pushrods? Doesn't appear to shear there. It didn't pass that loaded ball test in that video. Evidently it's not comparable to what is going on in your engine.
If you want to base your choices on silly demos like this video, instead of real world results people are getting testing with real highly stressed engine, that is your privilege. Slamming a companies product over useless demos like this shows a lack of character.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I defer to professional race engine builders and professional racers I deal with, not Internet "experts".
Thanks.
An oil analysis is a professional oil test by a certified lab and can tell you more about your oil than Joe the engine builder, so speed demon does know what he's talking about.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
An oil analysis is a professional oil test by a certified lab and can tell you more about your oil than Joe the engine builder, so speed demon does know what he's talking about.
Yeah, I know what that is. I'm not talking about joeblow trying to build engines down the street.

Today I was testing at the Tulsa track, several (8 or 9) Pro Stockers had rented it for testing, getting ready for the Kansas Nationals at Topeka this weekend. Started raining after I got in only three passes, but I did get to visit with some of the guys I usually talk to. One is Mike Edwards, friend for over thirty years, and presently the NHRA Pro Stock national record holder, points leader, and appears to be making more power than the rest evident by his normally higher MPH.
Mike is the one that got me to change to Royal Purple when I was buring the ends off push rods. His engine guys have tested several oils, and have had analysis done. I asked about this again today, over some posts on this thread. I asked if he was still using Royal Purple, his guy (Alan) said "absolutely". They have had other oils tested, and some look better according the the guy in the lab's opinion. Many that "tested better" hurt push rods and lifters like what I used before, but did not perform like Royal Purple. He said his stuff last better, stays nicer with "Royal Purple, so he has kept going back to it. Saw their decals on a couple others there today too. The engine builders from ANY of those cars today knows much more about this than anybody on this message board. Those are the most powerful V8 two valve engines in drag racing. 500 cubic inches turning over 10,000 RPM, with over an inch of valve lift with valve springs that make my 1000 lbs open pressure look scrawny. That is harder on oil than anything you guys are doing.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Launching!

I second Castrol, my first lt1 engine had it for 160k miles and it never let me down. No expert opinions or anything, just personal experience.

Quick Reply: What Oil is best to use