LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What Oil is best to use

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It cracks me up that some of you guys think you know better than Ed.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Shear pretty badly according to who?? Read that on the Internet?
I did read about the results of the used oil analysis on the internet. The test results came from people that used Royal Purple and took the time, and spent the money, to have a sample tested afterwards. Based on the results of those tests, Royal Purple products seemed to consistently shear down to a lower viscosity. If you're using it in a racing engine, and changing it frequently, it probably wouldn't matter. If you're using it in a daily driver, and running extended oil change intervals, it's probably not the best product for that particular usage scenario. The formulations could have changed and what I've posted may no longer apply.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It cracks me up that some of you guys think you know better than Ed.
Obviously some of us do, see the post above by BTC.

Yeah, I know what that is. I'm not talking about joeblow trying to build engines down the street.

Today I was testing at the Tulsa track, several (8 or 9) Pro Stockers had rented it for testing, getting ready for the Kansas Nationals at Topeka this weekend. Started raining after I got in only three passes, but I did get to visit with some of the guys I usually talk to. One is Mike Edwards, friend for over thirty years, and presently the NHRA Pro Stock national record holder, points leader, and appears to be making more power than the rest evident by his normally higher MPH.
Mike is the one that got me to change to Royal Purple when I was buring the ends off push rods. His engine guys have tested several oils, and have had analysis done. I asked about this again today, over some posts on this thread. I asked if he was still using Royal Purple, his guy (Alan) said "absolutely". They have had other oils tested, and some look better according the the guy in the lab's opinion. Many that "tested better" hurt push rods and lifters like what I used before, but did not perform like Royal Purple. He said his stuff last better, stays nicer with "Royal Purple, so he has kept going back to it. Saw their decals on a couple others there today too. The engine builders from ANY of those cars today knows much more about this than anybody on this message board. Those are the most powerful V8 two valve engines in drag racing. 500 cubic inches turning over 10,000 RPM, with over an inch of valve lift with valve springs that make my 1000 lbs open pressure look scrawny. That is harder on oil than anything you guys are doing.
I wasn't referring to Joe Blow down the street, I was referring to a good engine builder, mister twist my words around. This discussion is about oil in our daily drivers, not racing engines, which are 2 totally opposite types of motors that are run much differently. Maybe Royal Purple is good for racing engines but not for a daily driver.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to wonder, you some of you guys consider an infomercial like this a "fact"?

If you want to base your choices on silly demos like this video, instead of real world results people are getting testing with real highly stressed engine, that is your privilege. Slamming a companies product over useless demos like this shows a lack of character.
What "fact" are you even referring too??? I use Royal FREAKIN Purple genius! First I've even heard, seen, or smelled Cerma, but to you that means one is somehow slamming a product and lack of character - errr okay Herbie
Old 05-17-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobil 1 fan boy here, I always use Delco filters too.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line?

Any high end full synthetic with a good filter in the proper weight will keep almost any LTx happy with regular changes. Assertions of superiority between good high-end full synthetics amount to splitting hairs IMO. They're all good, and I'd be hard pressed to say one is much better than any of the others.

Mine has had M1 10w30 and a Delco PF454 or 1218 every 5k since day one. I'm at 108k miles. It's apart right now actually for a heads/cam swap and oil pan gasket replacement, everything looks good and clean.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Easiest way to bump compression is thinner head gaskets. What cam are you running? What crank are you using, forged or cast? Looks like you fell for a typical catalog build. What is your head gasket thickness now? Give us a full list of parts well see if we can help salvage this.
THe cam is a custom ground lingenflter cam just a step above a lt4 hot cam it is a forged eagle rotating assembly it has je psitons eagle rods trick flow rockers with a set of afr 195 cc heads i dont know know the thickness of the gaskets the guy who tuned it said it is set up for either nitrous or a blower 12 psi max

Quick Reply: What Oil is best to use