LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PCMforless???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CALL911
I agree with RamAir though, he can't afford to do retunes for free. Not on the scale he is at, and certainly not for the abuse people were putting him through. It sucks he can't when he started off doing that, but in this day and age, I think a good tune from him is worth having to pay for with each change.

There is the problem I have.....WE DID PAY FOR THE TUNES. We paid him money in exchange he gave us, along with many others, his word that we could come back to him for as long as he was tuning and get a retune at no additional cost. The retunes are not free....they have already been paid for. That's why this deal irked us.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by za355tx
There is the problem I have.....WE DID PAY FOR THE TUNES. We paid him money in exchange he gave us, along with many others, his word that we could come back to him for as long as he was tuning and get a retune at no additional cost. The retunes are not free....they have already been paid for. That's why this deal irked us.
...and yet you also said you understand his position that he can't do that anymore after enough people took advantage of his offer. I would seem to me that if it has been 15 years since your dad has had the car, and the volume and quality Bryan offers with his tunes were getting taken advantage of as they were that it would make since he didn't offer another tune to your Dad for free.

But if you disagree (even though you said you understood), there are other tuners out there that can also give you a tune.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CALL911
...and yet you also said you understand his position that he can't do that anymore after enough people took advantage of his offer. I would seem to me that if it has been 15 years since your dad has had the car, and the volume and quality Bryan offers with his tunes were getting taken advantage of as they were that it would make since he didn't offer another tune to your Dad for free.

But if you disagree (even though you said you understood), there are other tuners out there that can also give you a tune.
Yeah I said I understand...that does not mean it's right or that I'm ok with it. I'm simply saying I see his logic but the fact remains...he charged people money to do lifetime retunes and then decided he is no longer going to honor his commitment...it's not ok to take peoples money and then deny them what they paid for? It's like paying for a warranty at a deal and then the dealer saying we're not going to fix your car anyway even though you paid for it.

It is not my fault nor anyone elses fault that he made a bad business decision or didn't figure out a way to prevent such a thing from happening.

As was stated by many others...it's just bad business. But you are right about finding other tuners. There are other choices and we will be using those other choices.

Last edited by za355tx; 05-17-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Bryan has dynoed tuned my AFR 205/G5X4 347cid setup (464rwhp), Twin turbo 347cid /4L80e setup (603rwhp/600rwtq) and a mild LQ9/LS6 cam setup (380rwhp/380rwtq). My car ran perfect. No complaints.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Bryan has dynoed tuned my AFR 205/G5X4 347cid setup (464rwhp), Twin turbo 347cid /4L80e setup (603rwhp/600rwtq) and a mild LQ9/LS6 cam setup (380rwhp/380rwtq). My car ran perfect. No complaints.
We've been happy with his tunes and I've heard he's legit for dyno tuning...just this one thing has irked us.

In talking to Lloyd Elliott he told me when he still had his TA local guys tried to dyno tune it and pulled like 377 rwhp out of it...then he said Bryan dyno tuned it and afterwards it put down 436 rwhp and ran 6.90's in the 1/8th.

Just don't like his decision not to tune this one...he even told my dad he remembers him and trusts him that it's for his car but still said no. It is what it is and he's lost my dad, my brother, and myself as customers. Not that it will affect him but we had tons of faith in him and he always did us right...until now.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I get a hold of this guy?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

They have a website with contact info on it.

If you call the number though, I think you'll get Keith (the guy you wan to avoid).

If you email them, you should get Bryan.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I emailed him about having my car done, and he offered to look at a datalog before I even sent the pcm in. Bryan sounds like a good guy, but made a poor business choice is all. It happens when you grow like that though. Best bed would have been to talk to him and try and get some money knocked off for the lifetime tune deal prior. Just my .02
Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Teching In

What's the website? Is it that mad tuner one?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.pcmforless.com/
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Their new website is www.pcmofnc.com
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

FWIW...you are better off to get a DYNO tune anyway by someone who knows what they are doing as it's taylored for your car specifically, not an educated guess of a tune; PCM for less was kind enough to dyno my ancient LT1 which they normally don't do because they seem to think most LT1's are clapped out POS's They picked up a minimum of 20 HP over Bryan's own mailorder baseline tune which was already speced for my setup, and that was only revving to 5800 RPM due to valve float....I'll be going back to their shop in Mooresville next month to put in on their rollers again just for some test runs.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just seeing this thread, but it seems to me that if PCMforless sold customers an option for free lifetime retunes then they should be legally and morally responsible for honoring that. The OP said they paid more than a one-time tune from PCMforless would have cost for the lifetime retune. I get that it has been 15 years, but since when is 15 years a lifetime? I would venture to say that 99.9% of us are much older than that. LOL I understand that some people were abusing this service and that is unfortunate and just plain wrong, but what does that have to do with it? Also, what does PCMforless's abilities as a tuner have to do with it? No matter whether you think he does great tunes or crap.....he should honor what he sold. Period.
Since they have grown to such a huge company over those 15 years.....then he should be financially able to absorb any money (time) lost to honor his product. I can see if they stopped free retunes for people who had been caught abusing the deal. (Surely they have records of who bought what and how many times they retuned.) I can also see them not offering the option for sale any more, but to crap on the ones who already purchased is just plain dishonest and poor business.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
FWIW...you are better off to get a DYNO tune anyway by someone who knows what they are doing as it's taylored for your car specifically, not an educated guess of a tune; PCM for less was kind enough to dyno my ancient LT1 which they normally don't do because they seem to think most LT1's are clapped out POS's They picked up a minimum of 20 HP over Bryan's own mailorder baseline tune which was already speced for my setup, and that was only revving to 5800 RPM due to valve float....I'll be going back to their shop in Mooresville next month to put in on their rollers again just for some test runs.

Picking up power with a dyno tune should less be looked at as so wonderful for the dyno and more proof of how far off the mailorder tune was. My car is on a mailorder tune, doubt there is 20rwhp left in a dyno tune. I was able to give my tuner feedback in the form of datalogs and a little bit of wideband data.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Picking up power with a dyno tune should less be looked at as so wonderful for the dyno and more proof of how far off the mailorder tune was. My car is on a mailorder tune, doubt there is 20rwhp left in a dyno tune. I was able to give my tuner feedback in the form of datalogs and a little bit of wideband data.
Almost as if you were to simulate the road conditions you experienced when recording the given data except in a controlled environment and with the tuner present. You know, like a dyno tune.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Without the $500 bill............................
If you buy tuning/datalogging, cable and a wideband you will spend a little over the $500 mark BUT you will be able to keep tabs on the car very well and more quickly identify issues.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

tune it yourself.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

If you buy tuning/datalogging, cable and a wideband you will spend a little over the $500 mark BUT you will be able to keep tabs on the car very well and more quickly identify issues.
Wait wut.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bryan did my OBDI conversion in 2001 for my Impala. Great work and a great guy. So I decided after 12 years, 4 motors later and re flashing the PCM many many times I would give him business again and get another OBDI conversion PCM but blank. I already have several tunes I use for N/A and nitrous. So I called and Bryan did not answer. So who ever I talked to was rude and basically told me to f$$k myself and they would not do a conversion without tuning it. I'm still paying the same price but I guess they don't want my business. And like I said it was not Bryan but who ever it was was a real *****!!!Sorry Bryan but that was just wrong. So I feel your pain and don't understand what has happened over there but it's not good business practice. and I also see no one from PCMFORLESS has been on this thread to defend themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of people are doing it this way these days, really good way to get a good tune. And even better that it can be a track tune or a real world street tune that is more accurate. I will be doing this when I get my cam in this winter.

Quick Reply: PCMforless???