LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Firebird Formula owner looking for more power

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stevo9389
i think you are understating the cost a wee bit unless you want to hook up or break **** like a car that has the power of full engine bolt-ons and 0 suspension mods.

don't get me wrong there is still a significant (initial) savings going to nitrous/suspension/tires/tune as opposed to H/C/I/E/suspension/tires/tune but it is not as must as your post made it sound.
Yes that was a slight exaggeration, with nitrous you will need the Walbro 255 and better valvesprings but initial cost for a 150 wet shot is FAR less than heads/cam when it comes to making the power, needed suspension parts are the same.. With 160k on the clock, nitrous and keeping it below 6000 will outlast heads/cam and going to 6500. Either way that auto will need a stall which is another $6-800 which I forgot to mention, and 400rwhp through an auto is pretty difficult on a stock shortblock with just heads/cam.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 06-05-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start with suspension and bolt ons. That will be a good starting platform for any kind of build.

-Subframe Connectors
-Drag Radials or good track tires (depending on what you do with the car)
-Long Tube Headers/Y-Pipe
-Get a QUALITY catback so you don't have to buy one 2+ times.
-1.6 RR w/springs
-ditch the EGR/Air stuff if you can get away with it
-Do the free mods (ditch spare tire/jack and TB Bypass mainly)
-Racetronix 255 fuel pump/hotwire kit (good for about 600hp N/A)
-Shocks/Springs for whatever kind of racing/driving you plan on doing (research research research)
-Built transmission from FLT, performabuilt, or another quality vendor (again, research)

Also, get a dyno tune to start a relationship with a shop, so when you go back for bigger and better things everything is a little more comfortable and familiar with both parties.

These mods will get you started for just about any build, and make your car a bit faster and much more fun to drive in the process.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Start with suspension and bolt ons. That will be a good starting platform for any kind of build.

-Subframe Connectors
-Drag Radials or good track tires (depending on what you do with the car)
-Long Tube Headers/Y-Pipe
-Get a QUALITY catback so you don't have to buy one 2+ times.
-1.6 RR w/springs
-ditch the EGR/Air stuff if you can get away with it
-Do the free mods (ditch spare tire/jack and TB Bypass mainly)
-Racetronix 255 fuel pump/hotwire kit (good for about 600hp N/A)
-Shocks/Springs for whatever kind of racing/driving you plan on doing (research research research)
-Built transmission from FLT, performabuilt, or another quality vendor (again, research)

Also, get a dyno tune to start a relationship with a shop, so when you go back for bigger and better things everything is a little more comfortable and familiar with both parties.

These mods will get you started for just about any build, and make your car a bit faster and much more fun to drive in the process.
most of this can be done with the original budget the op though his head and cam would be! These would all make the car seem like a different beast as well, and i recall a gmhtp article on 1.6rr pickup up 10whp which isn't bad for a simple change out. I agree on the tune and as well as all the suspension mods and exhaust mods. I recently put some strano sway and a watts link on my car and it feels so smooth and balance now its wonderful
Old 06-05-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Are you seriously going to recommend Golen right now?

I haven't been keeping up with current events... CNN, BBC or ls1tech hasn't posted any information on Golen as far as them not having a good product . Someone else can chime in and give more details on them if they want. Though the things that I have heard about them are good. Not to say that there hasn't been any incidents, I don't think there is a place that is incident "free". One things for sure. 400 Hp and "Reliable"... Firebird Formula owner is gonna have to do some homework b4 it all comes together.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
I haven't been keeping up with current events... CNN, BBC or ls1tech hasn't posted any information on Golen as far as them not having a good product . Someone else can chime in and give more details on them if they want. Though the things that I have heard about them are good. Not to say that there hasn't been any incidents, I don't think there is a place that is incident "free". One things for sure. 400 Hp and "Reliable"... Firebird Formula owner is gonna have to do some homework b4 it all comes together.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...383-build.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ine-build.html

Those are just 2 recent ones on here. Yahoo! news and MSNBC have the rest.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...383-build.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ine-build.html

Those are just 2 recent ones on here. Yahoo! news and MSNBC have the rest.
Made for good reading... caught up now. I stand corrected. Was not aware Golen had gotten that bad. Glad I didn't buy anything from them.

Quick Reply: Firebird Formula owner looking for more power