LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

24x & a 4L60?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Default 24x & a 4L60?

How can I make my 4L60 work with a 24x conversion?
I have a 1993 Camaro with a 383cu and I keep getting sent different ways.
Can I use a aftermarket lock up kit or do I have to swap out to a 4L60-E trans? I have a built 4L60 already and don’t want to get rid of it or spend more money than I have to.
Also, if I do go 4L60-E how do I make it work with my TB because it has a kick down cable? Which I don’t want to replace because it’s a AS&M TB and it’s a good one.
So can someone tell me that there’s a aftermarket lock up kit out there were I don’t have to flick a switch on and off to lock up my torque converter.
I know it would be BEST to go 4L60-E, but I don’t want to spend even more money and add even more work.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're probably going to have to use a switch. The 93's are a one year only connector with 4 pressure switches and the tcc wire. Unfortunately it's not a real common trans. If you want to switch to an E trans then you can keep your TB as the cable is eliminated completely. I say put it in a switch and use the tcc when you're on the highway. Trans will run a bit warmer around town but nothing your cooler can't handle.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Visit ltxtech.com talk to Frank Cahill. He is a transmission master and should be able to tell you whatever you need to know
Old 06-08-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to use a 96-97 4l60e trans or convert to a th350/400 trans.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put on a 94-97 throttle body or just dont connect the trans kick down cable on your 93 t.b
Old 06-08-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by am_muscl
Visit ltxtech.com talk to Frank Cahill. He is a transmission master and should be able to tell you whatever you need to know
Funny you said that because I PMed him and this is what he said,
" Any 4L60 (700) can be set up to work off of a 2 wire system. You only need to run 12 volts and a ground to the trans, if the transmission is wired right. The 12V is ignition voltage and the ground should run through your brake light switch. Internally, you eliminate everything but the lock up solenoid and 4th gear switch. If you use a 2 prong (normally open) switch in the 4th gear hole, you run your ground through it and then to the lock up solenoid. B&M makes a kit that works off your speedometer, but it's expensive. A simple rewire will work just as good and be alot cheaper... "
I don't know how to do this, but in another PM he said it was real simple and give me more details later.
Originally Posted by duh
You're probably going to have to use a switch. The 93's are a one year only connector with 4 pressure switches and the tcc wire. Unfortunately it's not a real common trans. If you want to switch to an E trans then you can keep your TB as the cable is eliminated completely. I say put it in a switch and use the tcc when you're on the highway. Trans will run a bit warmer around town but nothing your cooler can't handle.
Thanks. I just don't want to flip a switch for some reason.I think it will be a inconvenience I called Summit and they said that they do sell a lock up kit were it does it on its own, but I haven't looked into it yet.
Originally Posted by robsquikz28
You need to use a 96-97 4l60e trans or convert to a th350/400 trans.
I think thats what I'm going to end up doing once I try all these other ways and blow up my trans

Quick Reply: 24x & a 4L60?