LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Aluminum Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon A
It's doubtful, given the specs. To get a better idea, ask the seller how wide each row is.

While I do think the quality of the aluminum radiators China has been pooping out by the thousands has increased, you need to choose carefully. Many advertising not just two rows, but three and even four have very small rows with a good deal of airspace between the rows. This makes for a radiator that looks nice and thick but doesn't perform any better than stock.

If I remember correctly, the stock '96 and earlier have a single row 1 3/8" thick. So if the above radiator has two rows each 5/8" thick it'll actually be less efficient than stock. If 7/8" it could be a noticeably better than stock. Without knowing exactly how big the rows are, one can only guess.

I installed one of these Chinese specials (under a different brand name) in my Trailblazer and was actually rather impressed with the quality, given the price. However, I shopped around until I found a model that was two rows with 1" rows--total core thickness ends up around 2 1/8". Given stock was a single row about 7/8", this was a dramatic upgrade in that case.

This radiator looks to be inferior to that, and the stock LT1 is a much better starting point so I'm not convinced you'd get much, if any improvement in this case. It's too bad as it's always nice to have lower cost options that work. They're more expensive, but with Griffen or Be-Cool, you'll know what you're getting.

I went through every vendor thats selling these and asked on each core size.
Hopefully one will write back with actual sizes. I will report back with my findings.
Im not buying a damn thing until I can get actual core sizes though. A lower cost
option would be sweet, but we will see.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

I just got a response. Each row is .85" wide. I think I will pick one up.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Interesting. I've been working on (several) LT1s for 14 years now and have only seen the tank crack once - because a buddy dropped it.
The plastic radiator tanks on BOTH my f-bodys (94 and 99) have developed cracks/leaks and need replaced....I drive mine a lot though, the 94 has 150K the 99 has 180K. I guess the plastic gets brittle after many years and heat cycles....then one hot day comes along and it cracks. It seems I'm a magnet for any and all f-body issues however
Old 06-20-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've taken mine out more time then i would like to count with cam swap numerous opti changes and what not and haven't had a single probelm with it yet. Even my old hoses were fine but decided to replace them the last time i had it out just for some insurance
Old 06-20-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96z28_lt1
i've taken mine out more time then i would like to count with cam swap numerous opti changes and what not and haven't had a single probelm with it yet. Even my old hoses were fine but decided to replace them the last time i had it out just for some insurance
Watch it pop a crack while you drive it tomorrow because you praised it and didn't knock on wood...LOL....it's got nothing to do with removing them or doing engine work, my LS1 is practically bone stock, never touched the engine, and it started to leak one hot summer day. Plastic is just not as durable as metal, simple as that.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW my 18 year old 100,000 mile factory LT1 radiator just went out on the dyno a few weeks ago. I'm running a D1SC supercharger and never had a problem with the car overheating (and I would run 150+ MPH all the time).

I ended up getting a Spectre radiator as a replacement, but the point I was making was the factory piece is awesome.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Just want to point out the radiator the OP linked to earlier is for an LS1, missing the steam hose return on the right tank and the oil cooler hose return on the left tank. Minor issues but not direct drop in for an LT1. Also, be careful if running an electric water pump, 2" thick core + chinese fan mounts will probably create more clearance issues.

Here's a Champion 3 row with the correct connections
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by benny92
Just want to point out the radiator the OP linked to earlier is for an LS1, missing the steam hose return on the right tank and the oil cooler hose return on the left tank. Minor issues but not direct drop in for an LT1. Also, be careful if running an electric water pump, 2" thick core + chinese fan mounts will probably create more clearance issues.

Here's a Champion 3 row with the correct connections

Thats the one I will go with. Thanks for the heads up, I totally missed
those key parts Theyre local to me so I will stop in and check
it out beforehand!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
Thats the one I will go with. Thanks for the heads up, I totally missed
those key parts Theyre local to me so I will stop in and check
it out beforehand!
Any update? Did you order and receive? Install?

I tried to order one of these from another vendor today and he said it would not fit my 1995 5.7 firebird. Said the fittings were different.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

In for results.

Originally Posted by Jon A
It's doubtful, given the specs. To get a better idea, ask the seller how wide each row is.

While I do think the quality of the aluminum radiators China has been pooping out by the thousands has increased, you need to choose carefully. Many advertising not just two rows, but three and even four have very small rows with a good deal of airspace between the rows. This makes for a radiator that looks nice and thick but doesn't perform any better than stock.

If I remember correctly, the stock '96 and earlier have a single row 1 3/8" thick. So if the above radiator has two rows each 5/8" thick it'll actually be less efficient than stock. If 7/8" it could be a noticeably better than stock. Without knowing exactly how big the rows are, one can only guess.

I installed one of these Chinese specials (under a different brand name) in my Trailblazer and was actually rather impressed with the quality, given the price. However, I shopped around until I found a model that was two rows with 1" rows--total core thickness ends up around 2 1/8". Given stock was a single row about 7/8", this was a dramatic upgrade in that case.

This radiator looks to be inferior to that, and the stock LT1 is a much better starting point so I'm not convinced you'd get much, if any improvement in this case. It's too bad as it's always nice to have lower cost options that work. They're more expensive, but with Griffen or Be-Cool, you'll know what you're getting.
Unrelated to original topic, but Jon are you using a trailblazer with the inline 6 to tow your car, hence the need for the upgraded radiator? I've been looking at those as a dual purpose wife dd and tow vehicle, but was not sure if it was up to the 5000lb task.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

I went ahead and got the Champion 3 row radiator. It is a very nice piece.
All the rows are not pinched, nor mangled. All free flowing. Welds and fittings
look great as well. I haven't installed it yet, but I will provide results when I do.
Here is some pics of it....

Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Looks great...I think I will order one....but do you see any reason the vendor said it would not fit a V8 car......only a V6 car or 1998-1999 year models???
He was referencing the Champion catalog and said that is what the catalog said......and then concluded it would not fit my 1995 V8 car.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by real82it
Looks great...I think I will order one....but do you see any reason the vendor said it would not fit a V8 car......only a V6 car or 1998-1999 year models???
He was referencing the Champion catalog and said that is what the catalog said......and then concluded it would not fit my 1995 V8 car.

Well mine is going into a V8 car lol. The only thing I see is that if you put this
in a 98-02 Fbody, you will have to cap off the steampipe fitting on the radiator.
Im not sure if LS1 Fbodys had the low coolant level sensor like the LT1s did either.
It will fit a V6 car just fine, just cap the fitting.

Last edited by AZ2ENVY; 07-12-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Looks like a nice piece how wide are each of those rows?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

I just measured one of the rows. They are 5/8" each. I know its hard to see in the pics, but there's 3 5/8" rows.

Last edited by AZ2ENVY; 07-15-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Teching In

I want to order one of these. How did it fit in your 94? Any modifications needed?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dinesh_H
I want to order one of these. How did it fit in your 94? Any modifications needed?

I haven't installed it yet. I will post up when I do though.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

I called another vendor today regarding why the catalog does not say it fits all years. he said he thinks that the radiator auto trans line fittings may be the wrong size....may need adapters. He has had some customers reports issues.....but that was the only issue. I ordered one anyway. Will be interested in your findings. I won't have time to install mine for a few weeks.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

I wont be using the trans cooler inside the radiator. I bypassed it with a stand alone
a few years ago. So results from that aspect wont come from me unfortunately.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Unrelated to original topic, but Jon are you using a trailblazer with the inline 6 to tow your car, hence the need for the upgraded radiator? I've been looking at those as a dual purpose wife dd and tow vehicle, but was not sure if it was up to the 5000lb task.
Yup.

I still drive the car to most events (as you can see I don't even own a trailer for it) but every now and then, especially when taking the family it's easier to tow. MUCH easier to get home if you break the car!

It gets the job done fine for an occasional tow but it's certainly not ideal. A few times a year, OK, but every other week all summer and you'll be wanting something better.

They were offered in the later years with the V8 and while they're probably more expensive on the used market it would make towing life easier. They're also all setup to drop a hot LSX into whenever you feel like it--doing the swap with an I-6 poses many problems.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Radiator