LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Aluminum Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
I just measured one of the rows. They are 5/8" each. I know its hard to see in the pics, but there's 3 5/8" rows.
That's not bad, it should be a noticeable improvement from stock. It looks pretty decent for the price.
Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
I wont be using the trans cooler inside the radiator. I bypassed it with a stand alone
a few years ago. So results from that aspect wont come from me unfortunately.
Good call. Also notice it's one of the cheap "concentric tube" coolers that doesn't do a lot so bypassed or not won't make much difference (though less chance of leaks if bypassed). If you drive the car in the winter I'd recommend using a thermostat though (Long makes a good one) unless you're using one of the Long coolers with the auto bypass.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon A
That's not bad, it should be a noticeable improvement from stock. It looks pretty decent for the price.

Good call. Also notice it's one of the cheap "concentric tube" coolers that doesn't do a lot so bypassed or not won't make much difference (though less chance of leaks if bypassed). If you drive the car in the winter I'd recommend using a thermostat though (Long makes a good one) unless you're using one of the Long coolers with the auto bypass.

Indeed! Cant wait to see the results. The car only gets driven on nice days.
Never rain, hot sun, snow, etc. It only comes out when conditions are ideal
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just my 2cents. i put a ebay alluminum rad in my brothers 94 z the build quality seemed good but there were problems.
the trans line bungs were crap, ended up going with seperate trans cooler

there was a overflow vent line but not one to pull extra fluid.

the temp sensor or low coolant sensor under the cap needed a fatter o-ring to fit snug.

but other than that that its a nice peice. its alot wider. and looks killer. hes been running it for 4 years and is now in his 98 z.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

I tried to install the champion radiator today. I am running a procharger and a meizer hd electric water pump. I could not get it to fit.....moves the fans back just enough to put the drivers side fan motor in contact with the supercharger belt. Bummer. I will give it another try in a few days but I don't think the thicker radiator will fit with my set up. I will say the quality was excellent. Everything lined up, auto trans line bungs seemed fine.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by real82it
I tried to install the champion radiator today. I am running a procharger and a meizer hd electric water pump. I could not get it to fit.....moves the fans back just enough to put the drivers side fan motor in contact with the supercharger belt. Bummer. I will give it another try in a few days but I don't think the thicker radiator will fit with my set up. I will say the quality was excellent. Everything lined up, auto trans line bungs seemed fine.
Can you put pusher fans on the front of the radiator? I did that on my stocker for clearance.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Longbob
Can you put pusher fans on the front of the radiator? I did that on my stocker for clearance.
That is my new plan.......good suggestion. New stock radiator, add a pusher fan.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Well, I installed a new stock one since the champion did not fit with the supercharger. The old stock one was starting to crack on the plastic tank. new one is cooling rock solid so far.......maybe the old one had junk in it after 18 years. If anyone is in the albuquerque nm area and interested in the champion radiator send me a pm.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:38 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Aluminum radiator

I just bought a 3 row aluminum radiator myself for my m6 being that the stock radiator started leaking from the plastic. I love the look and the cooling performance of the aluminum but I was going down the highway last weekend and my radiator coolant sensor popped out. Needless to say coolant went everywhere. I popped it back into place and haven't had any issues since but I am looking to find a way to ensure that doesn't happen again. I hear its common on these ebay aluminum radiators. I bought a bung and am thinking of having it welded in there with nice and snug or getting some high heat JB weld. For those with aluminum radiators, what are you doing to secure that sensor?
Old 07-24-2020, 10:31 AM
Village Troll

Received 534 Likes on 386 Posts

I don't have an aluminum radiator, but I don't have the sensor plugged into it since they are notorious for going bad. If it were me I'd weld in a bung and seal it. We don't need no stinking CTS!
Old 07-24-2020, 12:09 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I don't have an aluminum radiator, but I don't have the sensor plugged into it since they are notorious for going bad. If it were me I'd weld in a bung and seal it. We don't need no stinking CTS!
CTS is in water pump, dick.

I plan on welding that shut on mine, or just tossing a rubber cap/hose clamp for temporary purposes.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:17 PM
Village Troll

Received 534 Likes on 386 Posts

You know what I know what I mean!

Quick Reply: Aluminum Radiator