LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

poor throttle response, exhaust pops, and odd noise.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor throttle response, exhaust pops, and odd noise.

so little back story, 95 lt1 in sig, 105k on the motor, opti and ICM/Coil are only about 5k miles old. New plugs TR55's and duralast wires (I know junk) So i have about 3k on the car since i got a motor back in it and it's been acting up lately. First I found a broken battery cable ground from the block and was causing a hard start issue, fixed it and still have poor throttle response and a pop out of the exhaust randomly as well as my exhaust note sounds different and way more raspy than before.

I don't have any SES codes other than for AIR/EVAP being gone, EGR is plugged in but nothing is there. Plugs look good, wires are not burnt, i'm going to test fuel pressure in a day or 2. The car did scrape the wall on the highway lightly, broke the rear bumper and put 2 small marks in my exhaust tips. bald tires and rain don't mix when the highway flooded.

Here is a video, the audio is **** for some reason... but at 3:50 ish you can hear it pop twice and then at the end you can hear the exhaust clearly. Oil pressure seems to be a tad low to me as well :/
Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd replace the wires with some decent ones and see if that solves it (do you have wire looms/plug boots to prevent contact with your headers?) Headers are notorious for burning plug wires on a LT1 if you don't have them nice and neat. If wires are ok, it's Opti time Don't cheap out on Chinese optis or you will be probably putting another one in 5000 miles from now or less.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wires are rather scattered on how they are run, but don't touch the primaries. I have header boots on them as well. I think I have my 4 bolt main block sold so It's time for OTVC wires! And possibly Opti and Lifters.

Quick Reply: poor throttle response, exhaust pops, and odd noise.