LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MAC header question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAC header question

So I bought some used Mac mid headers with ory for my lt1. My car is a 97 but I bought the 93-95 version because after reading, the 96-97 version looked more like shorties. These are what the ones I got look like:

My question is, how do I bolt these on? Will the ory bolt right up to my catback or my cat? I've read that I might need an "S" pipe, but I've also read it will bolt right up. Or is it completely different? Im fine with losing my cats, I just want a definitive answer so I have everything together before beginning the install. Thanks guys
Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Completely different. Here is a good pic I found of the two systems side by side. The dual cat on the right and the single cat on the left. You can see that there will need to be some fab work done to mate to your dual cat I-pipe (if there is not a pipe made to adapt it).

Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

So wouldn't I just need extra pipe bent to mate up to the exhaust? I can lose my cats, I don't have to worry about emissions
Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wallj
So wouldn't I just need extra pipe bent to mate up to the exhaust? I can lose my cats, I don't have to worry about emissions
If you don't need to worry about the emissions then why did you get shorties, you should have gone with long tubes..But to answer your question, yes you would need to fab it up to make it work..any exhaust shop should be able to do it. They'd prob make you a new Y..

Last edited by jlpz; 07-01-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jlpz
If you don't need to worry about the emissions then why did you get shorties, you should have gone with long tubes..But to answer your question, yes you would need to fab it up to make it work..any exhaust shop should be able to do it. They'd prob make you a new Y..
Because I got these for a good deal and I read that these are some of the best midlengths that make very close to the power of longtubes. Why would I need a new y pipe though? Wouldn't I just need a pipe coming out the y pipe with the headers to the exhaust?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Would it just be cheaper to buy a used Catback for a 94-95 so it will bolt right up? Or is it cheapest to just have a shop bend a small pipe and weld it to mate up my existing Catback with the headers.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youll be fine with those headers. I ran then for afew years and loved them. they have great ground clearance and make good power. Plug access is also a pleasure. IF there in good shape and you paid little for them Rock them like a hurricane!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Youll be fine with those headers. I ran then for afew years and loved them. they have great ground clearance and make good power. Plug access is also a pleasure. IF there in good shape and you paid little for them Rock them like a hurricane!
I'm sure ill like the extra power. Fitting them on and making them work on my car is the issue
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

The best bet would be to install the headers and stock Y and check where you need to make modifications to make it work...also did you buy the headers by themselves or did it come with the Y like in your pic?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

I got the matching y pipe like in the picture as well. I basically got everything in the picture, 2 headers and y pipe

Quick Reply: MAC header question