LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Smoked out tail light fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked out tail light fix

Hey have a quick question. Got pulled over today in Pt St Lucie, Florida by a cop claiming his reasoning for pulling me over was “I cant see your tail lights.” He gave me a fair warning, but I want to keep the GTO black covers on the lights in hopes to find brighter (possible LED) tail lights. Ive been around and been tail gated by cops with the covers on but never got pulled over because of smoked out tail lights. Have a feeling this cop wanted something to complain about . Any recommendations on the brightest tail light bulbs will be considered.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If he just gave you a warning then don't worry about it. I've been pulled over because my "exhaust is illegal." Friend of mine was on his laptop in the passenger seat and he said that was illegal too. He was just being a dick nosing around since it was a Saturday night and he knew I was headed to the local hangout. I haven't had a front plate on my car since the day it was new. Been pulled over twice in all that time and only received a warning. You must've caught his attention somehow.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tinted tail lights in a Fbody isn't the smartest idea without a brighter bulb. I was pull for the same thing, cop told me to take that junk off.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You must've caught his attention somehow.
Well the car is lowered about an inch, with some american racing TT2 wheels I had put on not too long ago. I think that qualifies as attracting attention. Especially when I wasnt breaking any laws. He was just a lone bored cop that had nothing better to do!

As far as brighter bulbs what size, and brightness bulbs should I get? Ive been looking at IJDMtoy.com and they have some nice lights. Just not sure what light exactly for 4th gens.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha ha....I've been "warned" a couple times about those tinted covers I have them on both my f-bodies, I take it as merely a suggestion; the cops have bigger fish to fry than to worry about such nonsense as tail light covers in this city, maybe small town USA good ole' boy cops might be a dick about it if they know your car.

Your car a Camaro or Firebird? They do make LED lights for the Camaro, I wish they did for Firebird, that's the whole reason I have the tinted covers, my stock 94' taillights look like **** and are all faded....I refuse to spend a lot of $$ on LS honeycomb lights. Somebody out there needs to start making Firebird LED taillights ASAP!

Quick Reply: Smoked out tail light fix