LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Losing my mind. Arcing problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro350Z28
^^ Mine doesnt really idle weird. Its only when holding on throttle to 1500-2000rpm you notice the miss.(BIG MISS)
You might just have a burned plug wire dude. That seems to be related to my problem at least. I never had a single problem with this car until I burned a plug wire about 2 years ago, and it's been a little screwed up ever since. I would definitely check everything and make sure one of the wires didn't touch the manifold.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

I had this problems years ago with a similar set up with you. I tried everything possible and IIRC, there were two things that fixed it. First was that the MSD wire boots were really big and the head from my exhaust actually cooked them and became crispy. Replaced it and fixed that. The other thing that also took car of it is die-electric grease. I put a LOT of that crap on in the boots. It might be hard to snap them on with the grease but make sure you put a lot of that stuff in it. Try it out and let me know how it goes. If it doesn't work I will talk to my dad and see if he recalls what we did to fix it. Let me know
Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive had 1 person saying remove it all and now you want me to put a bunch on lol My problem is definitely more than just grease. There is a problem lying in there somewhere that needs to be fixed and not masked.

Testing compression next and putting on a random opti i had laying around. Dunno when. I havent touched it in over a month. I dont even want to mess with. Really just want the car gone now hate to say it. lol dont feel like putting up with this problem
Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OP, does it arch when it turns over but not running?

If it does, start removing stuff from the plugs back till it stops arching?

Just throwing up an idea, no idea what might be the issue.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pulled off my opti finally. nothing looks bad inside. upon more inspection there is some corrosion forming inside the opti harness itself. now i don't have money for an opti right now so itll be sitting for quite awhile. soon as I get a new harness and opti ill report back and tell you guys whether its opti or not
Old 08-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i've had a problem with persistant arcing all over the place, even after changing plug wires. it was a 4 banger with a distributor. it looked like a lightning storm in the dark.

obviously the first thing i did was try a spare plug wire, which ran a lil' better for a short time, and then started arcing even worse than the old one.

turned out that the gap on a spark plug had filled with shaved ringland material. it eventually burned itself some new gaps in the coil, coil wire, and affected plug wire, and managed to jump them all.

actually ran alright just cruising. it must have been sparking just a tiny bit despite all that mess, enough to keep running till you put load on it.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welp, ordered a new optispark, opti harness and put in a new battery. My car seems to be running great now without arcing. I will assume it was the opti but 2 other things were replaced same time. Just thought id update and let everyone know
Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Banned

Thx for sharing.

What brand wires and opti came out? Then what brand opti and wires went in to replace?

cardo
Old 11-24-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

delco opti came out. delco opti in. running taylor wires again

Quick Reply: Losing my mind. Arcing problem