LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking for new exhaust ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for new exhaust ideas!

My LT1 currently has Edelbrock shorty headers, cat delete, and a Flowmaster muffler. It sounds good, but I want better, and a little louder if possible. The cat delete made almost no difference what-so-ever. (the headers and muffler were already on it when I bought it.) I hear everyone telling me to use long tube headers but I don't know what difference it would make. (I also hear they're a Bit** to install if using a cherry picker.) One of my friends suggested to go to either a 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch exhaust pipe.
Keep in mind, guys, I'm a beginner at the modification world so hopefully I can get some tips in a language I can understand lol.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

well you already have headers, granted they are shorty's but there better then factory manifolds performance wise. going from shorty's to long tubes IMO is a waste for you. If you just want louder and still sound good I'd recommend pypes violator muffler. You may hear just put a exhaust cut out and open it when you want to be noticed, loud yes, sound good ? No.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

longtube headers is never a waste IMO. from manifolds to longtubes yes is more power/sound gains but shortys to longtubes will still see gains but most of all plug access. i haaated my access on shorty headers. longtubes forever. Pacesetters are a super easy install as well. mine slid right in from bottom no cherry picker needed.

as for sound.. its all preference. loudmouth is of course loud but im not a fan of the sound as to where you might be. if you can try to listen to all the ones you can in person and if not there go with internet. sound is all preference so its hard to steer someone that way.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1 for long tubes, honestly not that bad of an install, took me about a day and a half to do it by myself on wheelstands. I had to jack the motor up on each side one at a time about 3 inches but the headers slid right in from the top and wow, the sound difference is amazing and the power was a massive increase from manifolds. really if you look and manifolds and shorties there isent a huge difference but longtubes are massive!
If you attack the install one step at a time its not that bad.
-remove alternator, starter, steering arm
-remove stock y pipe
-remove manifolds and AIR fittings&pump if being removed
-unbolt motor mounts and trans crossmember bolt, one side at a time jack the motor up 3 inches
-slide in new headers and bolt them into place.
-line up y pipe and cut exsisting catback where they meet
-bolt up y pipe and connect or delete EGR piping.

heres my car with the pacesetter long tubes and off road y pipe.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned

Default muffllex 4" or 3.5"

I ran the 4" from mufflex with a spintech muff and it's a bit loud (but bad azz) with close neighbors at 5am. Mufflex has 4" and 3.5" with muffler for $700ish - http://www.mufflex-performance.com/. If the exh shop says 4" won't fit get out of there and find a real custom exh shop. Now that i know a great exh shop i will have entire system custom made - and for nearly same price.

Hope this helps,
cardo
Old 07-24-2013, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know what everyone is talking about having to jack your motor up or use a cherry picker and all that. I guess you would need to if you want to take out your stock manifolds in one piece. But I installed my pacesetter long tubes just by putting the car on jack stands. Just took all my exhaust off. Took the spark plugs out. Slid the headers in through the bottom. Put a couple pieces of wood under the collectors, and bolted them on. The put the spark plugs back in of course.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pancho toco loco
well you already have headers, granted they are shorty's but there better then factory manifolds performance wise. going from shorty's to long tubes IMO is a waste for you. If you just want louder and still sound good I'd recommend pypes violator muffler. You may hear just put a exhaust cut out and open it when you want to be noticed, loud yes, sound good ? No.
add a cam and that cutout begins to sound a whole lot nicer lol... but i will say that a cutout is generally to loud for the street

Quick Reply: Looking for new exhaust ideas!